Okay so this is my issue, I am still trying to put together a fully funcutional home studio with a good sound.
The more I have been studying I dont understand why people dont get combos and run pedals through them. Why not?

Also I know this is probably not where I should put this but its just a bit of a plug. I am trying to sell my Peavey XXL head which is an excellent solid state head.
So if you want it we can discuss prices.
I want to switch however to tube AGAIN. I just want a good basic tube head that can produce a good raw clean sound and can start collecting pedals. What head would be good for this?

Sorry for my crazy typing I am on a caffine pill and claritin and cant think as clear as normal.
Why....because you can add most effects post recording (that are usually better than pedals) and make them fit the recording better...

There are really no rules though you can do what ever...
You can't remove recorded effects if you won't like them later on. I've studied sound engineering for 2 years and one of the most important thing we learned was to keep everything dry from Effects. If you like the sound of the pedals more than the software plugins you can always reamp through the pedals.
Thanks, make since. When y'all said that I felt really dumb. Also here is another noobish question. Is there any good way to plug straight in from an amp head like into a recording interface?
Quote by sking11791
Thanks, make since. When y'all said that I felt really dumb. Also here is another noobish question. Is there any good way to plug straight in from an amp head like into a recording interface?

if your amp has a line out than that'll be your best bet
you will need to use a cab impulse (simulates a mic'd cab sound) if you record using line out. ethan_hanus has a great tutorial for this.

the general consensus is that a real mic and real cab generally sound better, but an impulse is easy to setup and gives you good sound right out of the box.

Impulse:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8449636/blooddrunk_ver2test1.mp3

Mic'd Cab:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8449636/Bloogdrunkgoodspeaker.mp3
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Adding effects post tape is great and all, but when your guitarist is like the Edge and his sound comes from selecting just the right pedals to fit the song just they way they want, you're better off recording the effects. In the end it's the artist's decision and you have to work around it.

Another thing about that, it's better for your producing/mixing/engineering skills if you learn to make decisions early and stick with them. You'll make lots of mistakes at first and be stuck with crap on tape, but you'll learn to get it right the first time and save loads of time and effort on the mix. Too many decisions saved for the mix generally turns out for the worse, and it's next to impossible to be 100% satisfied with all of them when you have the option of changing everything.