There are tons of off the wall ways of making interesting noises w guitar other than just picking or strumming.

I like to rest my fingers on all the stings and strum all the way through. It makes a nice clicking noise and can add a lot to a riff.

Pick slides are ok. I never really use them.

Random tapping is fun and can sound cool.

Natural harmonics can be cool because you can mute them and it makes an interesting noise.

feedback can be used musically. Sounds good sometimes. although I don't know how to do it with my current setup.

Interesting palm muted chords

There's gotta be more.

What are your favorite weird noises to make with your guitar?
Last edited by conrad burdge at Oct 16, 2011,
turn your flange up all the way.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
turn your flange up all the way.

this, I just love it!

also 2 distortions and a wah between those, pantera roar (my signature thing lol), whammy pedals, those things are just weird haha, chromatic tapping also, train sounds, and everything else, I could go on for hours!
Pitch shift pedals for the win. Morpheus bomber and the Digitech whammy are my favorites.
Try putting a really long delay on with a slow tap tempo, play something and then make the tap tempo really fast it ends up sounding like a ray gun sorta thing

Also if you do a trill then run the side of your pinky up the strings towards the headstock it makes a weird sound, kinda like icicles dropping or something like that, hard to explain really

Aaaand you can make police chase noises using a tremolo, long delay and volume swell, just play around with it, you'll find it eventually

Hope you try these out!
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Palm muting ghost notes! Especially in drop tuning over the empty strings. I think this adds a lot of punch to just ordinary palm mutes
i could go on for days
have the volume all the way down on the guitar strum a chord or something and bring the volume up

using the wammy bar as a slide

having two dissonant notes like a flat 9 interval something at least an ocatve apart and using the wah to make this sort of mettalic sound kinda like in the terinator when the t1000 is melting

pinch harmonics with a wah

switching between the pick ups on the guitar to get a sort of wobbly sound
volume on guitar set very low + noise gate set to cut off almost all noise + slide + wah + distortion + delay

Doing a very slow pick slide on the thicker strings while closing a wah that's set up to be bassy.
Or same pick slide with a talk box.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Oct 16, 2011,
i love to experiment with gear and find some new sounds.

volume pedal, chorus, and a very long delay with chords can give you a nice synthy chorus sound when doing volume swells. add a little trem arm vibrato and it sounds huge.

creating melodies with only harmonics is fun as well. using the trem to bend notes not found within the fret hand position.

same as the last one but with feedback + trem. kinda like using a fernandes sustainer.

placing electronics next to your pickups can come up with some fun results as well.
I had thought the OP was refering to "natural effects" not produced with equipment.

If so - a fun one for me is to finger tap pretty wide intervals and slide a finger from my fret hand upwards into of the same fret I am tapping, and slid back down, repeatedly. Amusing to say the least.
A few of my favorites:

1) Modulated feedback, basically feedback with a chorus, adds a really nice rhythmic pulse.

2) Pulling the neck back to bend whole chords evenly. Also good with feedback.

3) Strumming at nonstandard points. Sonic Youth's strumming behind the bridge of their Jazzmasters to create weird chimes is a good example. Other options are strumming the strings on the head above the nut, near the 12th fret for really pure tone (see my comment in the "Tone is in your hands" thread).

4) Another Sonic Youth technique, play with a drumstick instead of a pick. Razor blades and coins are other alternate pick options.

5) Haven't personally tried this, so be careful as you may damage the guitar, but you could try a John Cage style prepared guitar, perhaps wedging something between the fretboard and the strings. Again, Sonic Youth, used screwdrivers. Kind of an under the string slide guitar.

6) This is one of my own inventions, not sure if it has a name, I call it slip-bending. Bend the high E string off the side of the neck. Makes some cool squeals. Can be combined with pulloffs.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
(flameshield up)take a delay, reverb, distortion and fuzz pedal and run it into an amp with the distortion and fuzz maxed out. also add an octaver or wah. i know it "sounds horrible" but it's quite grainy and unique with huge spaciousness. it can also be really vocal if you can make it sound right.(flameshield down)
^and as for your no.6 slip bending, steve vai in blue powder uses that on the recorded version of the song. and that was released in 1990, so it's not like nobody knows about it.
Good stuff people.

Yeah I was mainly looking for natural techniques but ones that involve distortion are good too
Quote by ns9977a
6) This is one of my own inventions, not sure if it has a name, I call it slip-bending. Bend the high E string off the side of the neck. Makes some cool squeals. Can be combined with pulloffs.

I'm pretty sure Tony Iommi did this about 40 years ago in the intro to "Iron Man".
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by technoguyx
I'm pretty sure Tony Iommi did this about 40 years ago in the intro to "Iron Man".

I thought he bent behind the nut on that one
Haha. And I thought I invented it myself after ****ing up a pulloff (I'd only been playing a year at the time). But Steve Vai and Tony Iommi... I'm in good company.

Thanks for the bending behind the nut idea Duality Ninja. I don't know how I didn't think of bending there. I literally giggled like a schoolgirl trying it just now. If I can get a hold of a Jazzmaster/Jaguar (or something with a similar bridge) I'll have to try bending down there as well.

I love extended technique!
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Country virtuoso Jerry Donahue occasionally lets ring open strings, then bends behind the nut to raise the pitch of one of the open strings in relation to the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srcJZTE_Fjg 0:30, 0:36 and 0:45 secs. Whoooo!
Last edited by mdc at Oct 17, 2011,
If you got a Floyd Rose you can make the most blasphemous of noises, divebombs, flutters, reverse divebombs to flutters. Squealies close to the bridge. OD the distortion and if you have active humbuckers scream into 'em and you'll hear yourself plus all the effects you have going on.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Pick tapping by using the edge of the pick, at the same time, bend the string up and down. Randy Rhoads!
There was this guy, who I don't know if any of you have ever heard of(was bit of a nut, maybe even a danger to himself) who did a lot of crazy guitar things. Heck he even built his own guitar! Who's ever heard of a Strat that sounds like a Gibson anyways!? He would rub his hands on the strings when playing with a phaser, pluck the strings behind a Tune-o-matic bridge, plug his electric piano into a guitar amp, use a floyd rose to make his guitar sound like a motorcycle, and even sometimes he would just...um I dunno how to describe it...tap(?) the fingerboard? Oh and he abused the hell out of his guitar volume knob to make swells...geez what a crazy guy.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
There was this guy, who I don't know if any of you have ever heard of(was bit of a nut, maybe even a danger to himself) who did a lot of crazy guitar things. Heck he even built his own guitar! Who's ever heard of a Strat that sounds like a Gibson anyways!? He would rub his hands on the strings when playing with a phaser, pluck the strings behind a Tune-o-matic bridge, plug his electric piano into a guitar amp, use a floyd rose to make his guitar sound like a motorcycle, and even sometimes he would just...um I dunno how to describe it...tap(?) the fingerboard? Oh and he abused the hell out of his guitar volume knob to make swells...geez what a crazy guy.

Idk whom you're talking about but I can say Buckethead is a master in that job
Quote by RealGuitarHero
He would rub his hands on the strings when playing with a phaser, pluck the strings behind a Tune-o-matic bridge, plug his electric piano into a guitar amp, use a floyd rose to make his guitar sound like a motorcycle, and even sometimes he would just...um I dunno how to describe it...tap(?) the fingerboard? Oh and he abused the hell out of his guitar volume knob to make swells...geez what a crazy guy.

I think every decent guitar player does all these on a regular basis
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
+100000
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Try putting a really long delay on with a slow tap tempo, play something and then make the tap tempo really fast it ends up sounding like a ray gun sorta thing.
Speaking of muting, does anyone know of a physical mute for guitar, the way there are for trumpets and the like? I used to try to make them out of various materials and wedge them between the strings and the pickguard near the bridge. Kind of cool, but I never got to experiment too much because they'd always fall out.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
you can put a hair band around your guitar and it works as a silencer. good for when you're learning to sweep.
Boss HM-2 w/ all knobs maxed -> Fuzz = World ending.
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!