Right, SM57 is built for instruments whereas 58 is for vocals correct?

I have a small budget and Im getting one of these mics for recording, it's mainly going to be acoustic guitar and singing.

I can only afford one, there will be vocals and guitar with myself being a better guitarist than I am singer so, considering I have to do both. Which one is better?
Correct. I have both and I've tried using the SM57 for vocals before I got the SM58 but it sounded terrible because (I may be wrong here) it doesn't have a pop filter so I got a lot of pressure sounds from singing that were picked up by the mic. I dunno how a 58 would sound recording instruments but if you want good quality vocals that's your best shot.
Both at the same time? If so, the SM57 is unidirectional, so I'd recommend an SM58. But then again, I own a 57 and was able to record both vocals and acoustic guitar at the same time with excellent quality.
I don't have a signature
I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. I got a 57 because a 58 is no good for recording instruments. It does me fine for vocals if I put a pop shield in front of it. They're only like £2 or so, just get an attachable one.

Edit: it might not work as well if you're intending to record both acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time, but separately it will be fine.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Oct 16, 2011,
My questions is, at the moment along with the gear im getting I wont be able to afford an SM57 and 58, so which one would be better for doing both?

I'd of presumed the 57?
Quote by captainsnazz
I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. I got a 57 because a 58 is no good for recording instruments. It does me fine for vocals if I put a pop shield in front of it. They're only like £2 or so, just get an attachable one.

Cheers, think I'll do that!
There's really not a whole lot of difference between the SM57 and the SM58. The SM58 has a frequency curve that's more suited to vocals and it has a filter.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
why is this in GB&C? moving it to recordings...

ok, so the sm57 and sm58 are pretty much the same mic. saying one is going to be drasticly better than the other (soundwise) for any use isnt really true. you can get a pop filter or a foam cap and the 57 will be similar to the 58. remove the cap from the 58 and youve essentially got the 57.

however you are recording acoustic guitar and vocals, and neither of those mics is ideal for that. if you have phantom power available, i would suggest aiming for a large diaphram condensor. something like the at2020 is priced similarly to the sm57/58.
So much stupidity in this thread, until jof1029 showed up/moved it here to Recordings...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by AJScott
I have a small budget and Im getting one of these mics for recording, it's mainly going to be acoustic guitar and singing.

Dreadful choice of mic!

How much do you want to spend, and what are you recording into? If you're recording on a PC, i'd be inclined to suggest the Audio-Technica AT2020 USB for simplicity's sake.