Ok so I have an Epiphone Prophecy custom SG,and wanted to top wrap the strings when i change them next.I herd it makes the strings easier to bend, and increases harmonic reaction.Does anybody have experience doing this, and are these changes noticeable.
I mainly wanted to do this because I thought it looked cool,but with easier bends and whatnot Id really like to try it.So what do ya think.TIA
Try it for yourself and find out?

FWIW: I have not done this, but I don't feel like it would make a huge difference.
Where's Waldo?
It's noticeable.

I think you should just do it yourself next time you restring instead of asking the internet.
Some people - Billy Gibbons among them - swear by it. It might make bends a bit easier because the angle at which the strings cross the bridge saddle is not so acute. Since strings are cheap, give it a try. If you don't like it; hey, you've learned something.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I do it on my les paul, it does make the strings feel a little looser, but I typically offset that by screwing the tailpiece all the way down into the body.
I do it on all my stoptails. Bends are easier but if there are tonal effects it's negligible IMO. Just do it dude.

Back when I used like .13 strings on my old Les Paul it was almost a necessity in E Standard.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Oct 16, 2011,
I honestly don't notice a difference but That's because I'm probably retarded
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
I honestly don't notice a difference but That's because I'm probably retarded

Maybe it's the weed?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
What I do is top wrap the high E, B, G and D strings but leave the A and low E as normal. Seems to be the best balance.
I do it 'cause string bending is slightly easier, plus i use the palm of my picking hand to sort of vibrato on the bridge.
I gave rock n' roll to you

Anti-thayer
I don't really understand how it could make bending any easier. Presumably the thing that makes bends 'hard' (if you think they're hard) is the string tension, which is determined by your scale length, the gauge of your strings and what you have the guitar tuned to. Wrapping the bridge wouldn't change any of those things.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I don't really understand how it could make bending any easier. Presumably the thing that makes bends 'hard' (if you think they're hard) is the string tension, which is determined by your scale length, the gauge of your strings and what you have the guitar tuned to. Wrapping the bridge wouldn't change any of those things.

right.

but try it.

it does.

i believe it's because the overall length of the string from the ball to the tuner is longer when you wrap, and the angle over the bridge is in some cases lessened.

i said in some cases because not everyone drops the tail piece all the way down. (i drop it all the way down).

the theory behind it is of long debate among les paul players. many pro musicians have and still do this.

in the end, do whatever feels best to you. it's your guitar.
Quote by FatalGear41
Maybe it's the weed?

Don't smoke
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by Butt Rayge
I don't really understand how it could make bending any easier.

I don't understand how flash memory works, but damned if my cell phone doesn't play Fruit Ninja anyway.

The phenomenon is real. Try it. I haven't heard any really convincing reason as to what's causing it, but nobody I know who has tried it has been able to deny the difference.
scientists still can't explain how gravity or a bicycle works either, but they work.
The idea behind wrapping the strings the other way is to make the strings looser, but i don't see why you can't just get lighter strings.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 17, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The idea behind wrapping the strings the other way is to make the strings looser, but i don't see why you can't just get lighter strings.

Lighter strings can have an adverse effect on tone. Less sustain, less volume, etc.