hi!

So guys, I'm trying to get my first bass and amp bass.

i live in argentina where 4 AR$ are worth 1 US$ and bear in mind that basses and amps are more expensive here for the long way shippin'

Here's the situation. i've been saving money and i started playing the bass with a borrowed one. and no i want my own stuff. I am thinking about playing live in the not so near future, and i've been trying some basses. i am thinking about getting a squier standard or maybe vintage modified bass (almost certain). but i am concerned about the amp. the thing is this: i've go enough cash to get an amp with cab (that would leave me with almost no savings though ), BUT I'm not 100% that i will BE ABLE to play in a band, since i'm just getting started.

So, this are my options:
a) get a small cheap practice amp, and if i do good get a better amp later. (less than AR$1000)
b) get a no name head and cab that has enough power to perform live (from AR$ 3000 to 4000)
c) get this amp (used, and therefore, an oportunity that won't be there in the future) Fender M 80 - Head - 300W rms. with a cab (from AR$ 3500 to 5000)
d) get a medium sized combo (like 100W) so i can sound good enough while i see if bass is definetly my thing (from AR$1500 to 2000)

now, the option a would sound like the most secure BUT there's an important fact i hope i will be able to explain to you: In my country, the value of argentinian "dolar" (it's actually called "peso") is constantly going down, so as time goes by, my savings are worth less. therefore, if i invest now, i will be able to get the most out of my money, and as long as i wait, my savings has less value, and will provide me worst equipment as time goes by. this wont be signicant for, say, three months, but its actually like your money is less as you wait to invest.
also, if i get the fender amp, i can re sell it in the future for the exact same price, so it's not big deal. but, still, buying this pretty good amp as a begginer still feels not good, i don't know why...

So, for me, to choose my first amp i have to bear in mind my country's economy... please, what would you do in such a situation?!
I'd love some good feedback...

I hope i could explain my situation good enough. if not, please, ask.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
A good combo is your best bet. Don't go with anything smaller than 100 watts RMS if you plan to play with other people, and if you are going to play with serious metalheads, you'll need at least 200 watts. Sorry I can't recommend any brands, as I don't know what is available in your country. Let us know a few brands that you can get. And never pass up on a good used amp. You can get some fine deals on used gear.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
A good combo is your best bet. Don't go with anything smaller than 100 watts RMS if you plan to play with other people, and if you are going to play with serious metalheads, you'll need at least 200 watts. Sorry I can't recommend any brands, as I don't know what is available in your country. Let us know a few brands that you can get. And never pass up on a good used amp. You can get some fine deals on used gear.

well first, do you think that fender is good enough? BTW I am notsure what definitve music style i will be playing, but i think blues, rock, maybe funk... metal i almost certain i won't be playing... so think something that can get a not too agressive sound...

most known Brands are available, though some costs more than they should proprtionally compared to USA prices... so, i could get: Ampeg, Fender, Gallien Kruger, Hartke (seems to have some unexpensive yet powerful models...), some Laneys, very little Orange (and seem to be overpriced), Peavey, SWR, and some national made stuff that is not always shit, though should be tested...

hey, i don't know if that m 80 fender is a guitar amplifier or a bass amplifier, since i searched it in the bass amplifier section, but the guy who sales it says its for guitar... here's the link: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-124995069-fender-m-80-head-cabezal-300-w-rms-made-in-usa-_JM#questionText
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Oct 16, 2011,
well, I've been trying some combos, and the more interesting one has been a fender rumble 75, though i couldn't try a Laney rb3 enough time to be sure that it can also be a good choice... the thing is that i don't know if 75 watts will be enough power to jams or small gigs... and i found a Laney rb4 (160 watts) at the same price as the rumble 75... i think that with that much power and the 15" celestion speaker that the laney features, it would be more than enough power, but... the fender rumble is the only one that had a different tone than other amps i've tried (and i tried a kustom 50W pre valve, some ampegs, a stagg 60W)... Next week i'll be trying some local bass amps that has 110W with a 15" speaker with a tweeter... but now i'm between the laney rb4 and the Fender Rumble 75... what do you think?
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
How much could you get a good Hartke combo for? I love me a Hartke and yuo said they weren't too expensive.
Most of the stuff you're mentioning seems a bit underpowered to me but I'd never go lower than 200W and my preference is to have over 500W so maybe I'm biased.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
How much could you get a good Hartke combo for? I love me a Hartke and yuo said they weren't too expensive.
Most of the stuff you're mentioning seems a bit underpowered to me but I'd never go lower than 200W and my preference is to have over 500W so maybe I'm biased.

well, to get a 200W Hartke, i'd have to get an ha2500 head, and a cab to match, and the head alone costs almost the same as i am willing to spend, so no... However, i tried 60 watters at full volumes and it seemed to me that they could be enough... but maybe with a drumer at my side it's a different story.

a Hartke b 90 seems to be on my budget... an A100 is way out of my budget... and if i stretch a bit, an A 70 (obviously 70 watter) could be on my budget... anyway, i should try them... but i think that if i get a good combo and i find it is not enough, i could sell it and buy something larger in the future when i need power for giggin'. the thing is that i'd like to be able to jam at least...
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Hartke makes some diecent products. I played in a band for a while where the bassest had a Hartke kickback 1x12 (maybe 75 watts? not really sure)and it worked well in that situation. We played light rock, reggae, ska and jamband type stuff (Phish, Greatful Dead). So something like that should be just fine.

Since you are paying somuch more than USA prices used will be your best bang for buck that you can get.

And for a Bass look into the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or P-bass. Great value for your dollar. Used is also a good place to start.

Look at some of the budget lines that you have availabe in Argentena and compare to these to get an idea of how good they really are for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah, i've bought a squier jazz vintage modified 70's, going to make a nbd thread tomorrow i think... as far as the amp, it seems that my best call will be the used laney rb4, since it has 160 watts... that's lame, because i'd prefer a fender rumble but i can only afford a 75 watter. and national amps go as far as 110 watts.

BTW how about a fender M-80? there's an used 160 watter i could get... the bad thing is that i haven't seen any in stores, and i saw a fender bmx (or something like that) that seemed pretty average and i didn't like it.

Any way, i'll try national amps, and i'll try to give a shot to a laney rb-4, and if it's convincing, i'll get it used.
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
from what I've heard the M-80 is an older model, but it is soposedly very good. It has an external speaker jack, so you could add another bass cab down the road without having to buy something totaly new. I think that might be a very good choice for you. And the fact it is used, you may get them to lower the price a bit. After all the "WORLD" is in a massive ressession and I'm sure they want to make some money vs. no money

EDIT: I just saw Guitar Center has a M-80 bass head for only $150 USD so use that to your advantage if you can.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
from what I've heard the M-80 is an older model, but it is soposedly very good. It has an external speaker jack, so you could add another bass cab down the road without having to buy something totaly new. I think that might be a very good choice for you. And the fact it is used, you may get them to lower the price a bit. After all the "WORLD" is in a massive ressession and I'm sure they want to make some money vs. no money

EDIT: I just saw Guitar Center has a M-80 bass head for only $150 USD so use that to your advantage if you can.

that's good info... i see what i can do to try one before commit to buy... then, there's still this options:
fender rumble 75
national 110W combo (still haven´t been able to try one)
laney rb4 (160W)
and now fender m-80 (160Watts)

please if i should avoid buying anyone of this (bad value, durability relationed issues, etc.) don't forget to mention it!
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Oct 21, 2011,
If your gonna be giging, I would stay away from any 1x10 combo (In your price range). Look for a 1x15 or a 2x10 that has a speaker out so you can add to your amp.

I really suggest you try the Fender M-80. The Fender Rumble amps are OK, but not that great.

The others I have no experiance with,so you be the judge on those.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate