If you had a chance to ask a great guitar player (your favorite guitarists) any question specifically about "practicing guitar" or "becoming a great guitar player", what questions would you want to ask?

Imagine that you have a chance to talk to your favorite guitar player on the phone and you could ask him any questions that you want about how to practice guitar effectively…what would you want to know?

I will be conducting interviews with some great guitarists for a new website that I am building right now about practicing guitar and I want to hear what types of questions on this topic you want to have answered.

The questions I'm looking for are the ones that could apply to a guitarist of any style and be on the topic of general guitar practicing only. In other words, this is not for questions about songwriting or improvisation or music theory, or very specific guitar technique related questions ("general" guitar technique practicing related questions are okay)

When I complete the interviews, I will announce them here so that everyone who participated can see the answers to their questions.

So, what do you want to know the most about how to practice guitar?
the best way to practice licks in different keys and positions on the neck so that you can play then whenever the corresponding chord change comes up
how do they rememebr all of their own songs and theyr licks and even other songs they are learnign
because i seem to have a problem with rememebeing even my own songs
Lo, for at which point in thiere playing development did guitar virtuosity lead to ye bedding of loose women?
As a practice method, doth ye strum ye women's labia's as thy woulde strum guitar strings?

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Last edited by Ye Black Knight at Oct 16, 2011,
How the hell do you focus on practicing?!?!?!??
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by Ye Black Knight
Lo, for at which point in thiere playing development did guitar virtuosity lead to ye bedding of loose women?
As a practice method, doth ye strum ye women's labia's as thy woulde strum guitar strings?

This post now concludeth!

This.

And I'd ask Tosin how he digs his thumb in so much to get such a pop on his slap guitar technique. He's such a ****in' boss on the new album. Daym.
I already know what it takes.

Slow, perfect practice.

Win the mind game to go too fast too quickly.

Discipline....the discipline to be consistent at this to the point of habit.

Ability to master your ego. Cockiness is a very easy way to become blind and think you don't need things that you really do.

Practice in short pieces.

As for the bedding of loose women, if they are loose, it's really not hard to do that, and personally, I don't find a whole lot appealing there. :P

Musicians that are somewhat proficient and not socially dysfunctional, usually have no problems with women of their choice (in my case, my choice is the non-loose and very intelligent, and hot kind, that I also have a cerebral connection with).

Best,

Sean
i would prob ask more performance related questions like "have you ever messed up very noticeably while performing?" or "how do you deal with stage fright, or anxiety?"
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
During my college dayz I had a good chat with this guy. These words, to me at least, are immortal.

"Freedom on the instrument comes from discipline".

You see his CV you'll have a heart attack. Seriously.

http://www.icmp.co.uk/staffDetails.asp?ID=57&Dept=Visiting

You know that solo on Baker Street? Yup, and it was improvised as requested by Gerry Rafferty.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 18, 2011,
How did they manage to practice guitar when they had little time during the day from work or other stuff they were involved in?
"What are your top 3 practice tips?"
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Practicing writing original/inspired riffs.

I understand how to practice all the technique and information, but then seem to lack time or some way of practicing writing licks, riff, songs etc...
I really want to hear some professional opinions and beliefs on practicing guitar with your brain and with your mind, not with your fingers. Things to be investigated under this heading include:

• Mindsets for practice/performance and 'practicing performance'
  • How to more fully engage your brain and mental resources in practice for greatest benefit
  • Methods that can be used whilst not in the presence of a guitar to improve playing, musicality, or aural skills; also for when one is without access to computer programs or applets
  • Mind > fingers?

Thank you for the work that you are doing.
You might could use some double modals.
AETHERA, theres a book called Zen guitar. Read that then tell me if it is relevant to your question, and thank me if it was. I apologise in advance if it isnt.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by AETHERA
I really want to hear some professional opinions and beliefs on practicing guitar with your brain and with your mind, not with your fingers. Things to be investigated under this heading include:

• Mindsets for practice/performance and 'practicing performance'
  • How to more fully engage your brain and mental resources in practice for greatest benefit
  • Methods that can be used whilst not in the presence of a guitar to improve playing, musicality, or aural skills; also for when one is without access to computer programs or applets
  • Mind > fingers?

Thank you for the work that you are doing.

Almost everything I teach to my students is based on such things.
^ Scroll down to no.3 unless it already lands there. Not famous but still...

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/practicing-jazz-guitar-5-tools-for-effective-woodsheding
Quote by mdc
^ Scroll down to no.3 unless it already lands there. Not famous but still...

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/practicing-jazz-guitar-5-tools-for-effective-woodsheding

I also think number 4 should be required reading for every member of this forum
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Cheers, listening now. Good stuff.

Edit: Although the only one of our suggestions you actually used was the the rather banal "What are your top 3 practice tips?" question. Still got no idea how to use my virtuosity to bed loose women.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 1, 2012,
how do you spend your practice time when you have a couple techniques to practice? how many hours a day do you spend of one technique? What is more benificial: practicing solos and songs or exercises and fast runs if your goalis to master techniques?
1. Why should guitarists learn chords and what is useful about them?
2. Should you practice more songs or techniques?
Quote by supersac
how do they rememebr all of their own songs and theyr licks and even other songs they are learnign
because i seem to have a problem with rememebeing even my own songs

I always forget lyrics I wrote myself. Sure, it's easier to ad lib, because it's not like anyone would notice the difference, amirite?
Quote by im_with_theband
Your G-string sounds funny?

Thats...

...wait for it...

...what she said

Quote by Pregowski92
people who post spontaneously unfunny, boring cliché comments are made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, on my threads.

good day, sir.
Here are 2 more interviews to check out guys:

http://practiceguitarnow.com/GuitarPracticeInterviewWithLucaTurilli.html

http://www.practiceguitarnow.com/guitarpracticeinterviewwithjoestump.html

If you like the interviews, make sure to click the Facebook "Like" button on the page to share them with your friends.
Exactly what sean and david said.

I can practice in my own, but with summer shows coming up, I'd like more tips on live performance.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.