Besides getting a acoustic soon once I get better I want to get a new guitar. But I am just confused as to where to start. I mean obviously price range is a good place to start but where do I go from there lol. There is just so much its so overwhelming lol . Does anyone have any suggestions other than go to a store and play some diffeent ones?

thanks
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
go to a guitar store and try out every guitar threw every amp, its all about personal refference.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Ok, so, I know that this response is "enabling" (i.e. rewarding you for breaking the rules) but, speaking in generalities:

> if your budget is less than $400 and...
...you are looking for a metal guitar; look at LTD/ESPs, Scheters and Jacksons.
...you are looking for a shed guitar; Ibanez (or if you are in the UK and lucky, Chapman Guitars).
...you are looking for a guitar for basically any other genre; Epiphones, Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified Squiers and Yamahas.

>If your budget is between $400 and $700 and...
...you are looking for a metal guitar; ESPs, Scheters, Jacksons, and some BC Richs and Deans.
...you are looking for a shredder; Ibanez (actually, regardless of your budget, if you are looking for a shred guitar; look at Ibanez).
...you are looking for a guitar to play Hard Rock/Classic Rock, Blues, or any other genre with a moderate amount of distortion; look at Epiphones, Fenders, Hagstroms, Gretsch "Solidbodies"*, and PRS SE series.
...you are looking to play Jazz, Jazzy Blues, or a smooth guitar tone; look at Gretsch Hollowbodies, Epiphone Hollowbodies, Godins, and PRS SE series guitars with P90s.
...you are looking for a good all around guitar; look at PRS SE series, High End Epiphone Les Pauls, and Fender HSS Guitars.

>If your budget is between $700 and $1500 and...
...you are looking for a metal guitar; ESPs, Scheters, Charvels, EVHs, and Jacksons.
...you are looking for a guitar to play Hard Rock/Classic Rock, Blues or any other genre with a moderate amount of distortion; Gibsons, Fenders, PRSs, and EB Music Mans.
...you are looking for a Jazz/Jazzy/Smooth tone; (Hollowbodies) Gibsons, Gretschs, Godins and PRSs .
...you are looking for an all-around good guitar; PRSs, Gibsons, Fenders, and Parkers.

>If your budget is greater than $1500 and ...
... and you don't know what you want, yet?; You are spending way too much money on this hobby.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Oct 17, 2011,
I will be playing more Hard Rock/Classic Rock, Alternative, Punk mainly. My budget is under $500 I would say for the time being. I was looking at the Fender Blacktop Stratocasters or a Jaguar or a Gibson (not sure which model) I guess what I should do is go to GC and try them out and see which sounds I like through my amp, then come back here and ask for people suggestions lol.
Chris

My Gear-
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
Last edited by Ultrakd at Oct 17, 2011,
What are you waiting for then? The faster you go and try them out the faster we can help you and the sooner you get the guitar meant for you. Why are your reading this? Go to GC!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
What are you waiting for then? The faster you go and try them out the faster we can help you and the sooner you get the guitar meant for you. Why are your reading this? Go to GC!

I have no way to get there.....I am supposed to be doing homework lol
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by Ultrakd
I have no way to get there.....I am supposed to be doing homework lol

Stop slacking off and do your homework. It's been 3 hours I suppose you're done?

I'd say go for an epi or a used Gibson studio faded. Imo they're a bit better for hard rock than a strat. I love strat scale lengths but the blacktop doesnt really cut it for me. But its your choice.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Ive been looking online and listening to stuff on youtube and Im liking the PRS SE Singlecuts and the PRS SE 445, any opinions on these?
Chris

My Gear-
Last edited by Ultrakd at Oct 18, 2011,
SE's are good guitars. Go play one to see if you like how it feels.
Where's Waldo?
Are either of the SE Single cuts better than the other? They are all about the same price..
Chris

My Gear-
What are the main differences between the SE Singlecut , the Singlecut Tremolo, the Singlecut Tremonti and the Singlecut Korina?
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by Ultrakd
What are the main differences between the SE Singlecut , the Singlecut Tremolo, the Singlecut Tremonti and the Singlecut Korina?

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the Tremonti is the Mark Tremonti sig, the Korina is made out of Korina, and the Tremolo has a tremolo.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the Tremonti is the Mark Tremonti sig, the Korina is made out of Korina, and the Tremolo has a tremolo.

+1
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Ok I was able to go to GC today actually (Ive been really busy :P). THe guitars Im loking at are the Charvel Desolation Series (with and without the tremolo) and the Ibanez S570DXQM. I play through a Peavey Valveking 112. Any suggestions?
Chris

My Gear-
I dig the S570. Nice guitars. I'd also look at higher end RG's in that price bracket (I think RG Premiums are priced similarly, about $100 more, but used RG550's/570's/1550's/1570's - all basically the same thing - are all in your price range and are really damn nice guitars). I'd still consider the SE SC245 too, though, because they're really good for the price.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I adjusted my price range...under $700, like in the $600-$650 range.
Chris

My Gear-
my other thing Im having a hard time deciding is trying to figure out whether I should get Active or Passive pickups. which would be better for versatility? and whats the pros and cons of have a tremolo or having a fixed bridge?
Chris

My Gear-
Last edited by Ultrakd at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by Ultrakd
my other thing Im having a hard time deciding is trying to figure out whether I should get Active or Passive pickups. which would be better for versatility? and whats the pros and cons of have a tremolo or having a fixed bridge?

Passive pickups don't require a battery, and therefore, works with almost every single string brands, but the pickups aren't shielded too well on some guitars (eg. Jackson King V's Seymour Duncan pickups.) Active pickups use a battery, and is therefore more silent than passive pickups, but if you are using the pickups on the tremolo-equipped guitar, depending on the type of strings you are using, you might not get the perfect sound and string oscillation you need.
Also, if you are just a beginner, then a fixed-bridge guitar is best because many things can go wrong with tremolos, mainly in terms of tuning stability. Fixed bridges stay in tune perfectly because the strings are fixed to one spot.
Tremolo-equipped guitars, on the other hand, give you nice and cool effects with the strings, but depending on the tremolo unit you are using on your guitar, some kind of maintenance will be required whenever changing the strings. Also, the strings on the tremolo-equipped guitar are not clamped into one place, and so will easily go out of tune when it's not supposed to.
Hope this helps,
parhelia_0000
Quote by parhelia_0000
Passive pickups don't require a battery, and therefore, works with almost every single string brands, but the pickups aren't shielded too well on some guitars (eg. Jackson King V's Seymour Duncan pickups.) Active pickups use a battery, and is therefore more silent than passive pickups, but if you are using the pickups on the tremolo-equipped guitar, depending on the type of strings you are using, you might not get the perfect sound and string oscillation you need.
Also, if you are just a beginner, then a fixed-bridge guitar is best because many things can go wrong with tremolos, mainly in terms of tuning stability. Fixed bridges stay in tune perfectly because the strings are fixed to one spot.
Tremolo-equipped guitars, on the other hand, give you nice and cool effects with the strings, but depending on the tremolo unit you are using on your guitar, some kind of maintenance will be required whenever changing the strings. Also, the strings on the tremolo-equipped guitar are not clamped into one place, and so will easily go out of tune when it's not supposed to.
Hope this helps,
parhelia_0000

Stop watching DMOmetalguitar. He has no idea what he speaks of.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by parhelia_0000
Also, if you are just

Either I've been missing out on something or he doesn't know what hes saying.

What's a single string brand?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i started with an epiphone cause it was super versatile, they have the prophecy series that sounds pretty nice or the nightfall which has some passive EMGs and a FR o.o
I found a used Ibanez RG 1570 that was in my price range. Does anyone have any opinions on this guitar? Would it be a good for an all-around good guitar? How is the sustain on it?
Chris

My Gear-
Last edited by Ultrakd at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by JKHC

He doesn't know what he's saying. I think he means every single string brand like my grandma used to say "I'm going to beat every single one of you kids...".

The argument that some string brands don't work with active or passive pickups is null. All major brands will work with either brand equally well.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Does anyone have any opinions of the Ibanez RG1570's?
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by JKHC

I meant the 'all string brands'. Sorry for the mistake!
Quote by ATLstang
He doesn't know what he's saying. I think he means every single string brand like my grandma used to say "I'm going to beat every single one of you kids...".

The argument that some string brands don't work with active or passive pickups is null. All major brands will work with either brand equally well.

Just me experience, that's all. I don't know if other people see active pickups working well with other string brands, but if they do, then that's fine with me.
???
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by parhelia_0000
My apologies, did I confuse you a bit too much?

A lil lol...but I think I have made my decision on what to get
Chris

My Gear-