Being a telecaster user myself, well i was thinking if pop rock was more of distortion and palm muting, why not get a strat instead? Is it because of the simplicity or the versatility of the telecaster? Any ideas would help
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
As you said, it is a good, versatile guitar. They also don't cost too much (comparatively speaking) and since a lot of other people in their genre use them, the up and comers just follow their lead.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You can get pretty decent distortion out of a Tele. Again though Any style of music can be played on any guitar
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
because a standard tele seems to sound good for most "rock" music. in my experience, it also helps that tele's have a brighter tone and cut through nasty mixes really well
and i guess the 3 way knob makes its simpler for lesser technical guitarists
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Lately? Because teles are more suited to that bright cutting sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by killboypowerhed
i find that teles get a better distortion sound than strats anyways.

i agree in the way that its chunkier
Rick_Diculous wrote:

You can't kill a Tele. If I ever toured I would only use teles if they fitted what I wanted.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Because they're what's trendy right now. Because there's less things that can go wrong with a Tele compared to a Strat. Because they're something that every guitar store will have in stock. Because they often have a little more power to their pickups than a Strat does. Because they're comfortable and their controls are simple to operate and in a sensible position.

Pop is full of Telecasters and LP Jrs because they just work.
I notice that a lot of bands don't actually use standard teles, they use any of the various models fitted with humbuckers - so you get the best of both worlds - the bright twang that the scale on a tele gives you, the power of the humbuckers, and you get a guitar that's comfortable to play and easy to replace if needed. Seems reasonable enough.
Because telecasters are awesome and sound great under gain. (in stock config )
They may not do br00tz(unless its a jim root tele) but they do sound great for most things. It puzzles me why you go onto mention a strat. In its stock configuration a strat is no better then a tele at teh rawk.
People seem to have this idea that a tele's characteristic twang exists outside of the pickups.
Quote by W4RP1G
People seem to have this idea that a tele's characteristic twang exists outside of the pickups.

I thought Fender put a mini blackhole inside each tele that sucked out all the bad tone before it hit the pickups

Truth: Tele's are an amazingly versatile guitar, every guitarist should have one in there arsenal for that single coil twangy goodness. My next purchase will probably be a Tele!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ronkun
Being a telecaster user myself, well i was thinking if pop rock was more of distortion and palm muting, why not get a strat instead? Is it because of the simplicity or the versatility of the telecaster? Any ideas would help

Because how much distortion could you need for pop rock?

I guess they just want to sound like crap. Yeah, I don't like teles. I'd take a strat over a tele anyday and everyday.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
And Tele's sound is crystal clean and transparent. You can lash on the overdrive and still hear every note. They're light, look nice, Sound nice, feel nice and they can take a beating. And the neck pickup is great for leads. They're a jack of all trades really. Unless you're into whammy bar bollickry.
Quote by Tom 1.0
You can't kill a Tele. If I ever toured I would only use teles if they fitted what I wanted.

yea you can. proof and point: my tele.bridge pickup died completly. Ive been looking at it with my friend whos in university for mechatronics engineering, and its not the wiring from as far as we can tell. so ill probably have to replace the pickup and redo all the wiring. then again its only a MiM tele but still............
teles have a pretty stable sound. no matter what the settings it's hard to eff up the tone so much that the sound of the song changes, plus some other guitars get way to much output so when they play live, it sounds like crap. teles keep the sound at a good distorted, but clear sound
Last edited by kai29 at Oct 17, 2011,
Telecasters are cooler than strats.

I also think they're better than strats in every way. I've bought & sold probably about 50 guitars over the years, I currently own 12, yet the oldest & most played of all of them is my tele.

I had a strat for a little while (Fender MIM, so admittedly probably not as good as an American one) and just found it to be dull & bland compared to my other guitars and I didn't keep it for long. It also made me decide that I'll probably never spend the money to get an American made one, no matter how many guitars I end up buying/selling.

I'm sure strats work fine for other people (lets face it, there are loads of guitarists out there who are better than me and wouldn't play anything else), but they aren't for me.

My telecaster can do everything I've ever needed it to, and it's the only guitar which features on every recording I've ever done (except the acoustic ones obviously). I want another one.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My favorite quote about the telly goes "it rewards the clean player", ie. the guitarist that has good ability and clean technique.

I can think of no other stock guitar that keeps it "note definition" while under gain than the tele, it's the last guitar model to get muddy.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by GaryBillington
Telecasters are cooler than strats.

No, strats are way cooler then teles.
Quote by Diamond Dave

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
The real question here is not why do certain people love telecasters, it's why doesn't everyone love telecasters?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I notice a lot more indie/alternative bands use teles actually
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by kangaxxter
The real question here is not why do certain people love telecasters, it's why doesn't everyone love telecasters?

Because they are as ugly as heck. They sound thinner then paper, and only really fit a few genres, like blues and softer rock.

All these are a matter of personal taste, so some people like them, and some don't. I'm one of those that don't.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Quote by kangaxxter

Your question may have been meant to be rhetorical, but I agree with the sentiment. I once read an artist stateing the the tele was probaly the hardest guitar to get to sound good, I immediately thought What?? , but after a little thought I realized what he meant.

The same qualities that it has to keep notes and chords clean also highlights any mistakes, so if a player has sloppy techique or is mistake prone it will become immediately apparent.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by thrashdeth
Because they are as ugly as heck. They sound thinner then paper, and only really fit a few genres, like blues and softer rock.

All these are a matter of personal taste, so some people like them, and some don't. I'm one of those that don't.

I think your avatar description says it all really.
Quote by thrashdeth

You better tell that to Jeff Beck and a few more I can think of offhand.

.Ugly - Yeah, even Picasso probaly would of said the silouette of them are bugly.
Quote by shmeegle

What, my opinion doesn't count because I'm a metalhead? I didn't say it was a bad intrument, I said I didn't like it and it was ugly. But some people might like the way it looks and plays.
Quote by Diamond Dave

didn't mean any offense. But generally, Metallers are not for teles. 3 years ago I was in the same boat, Hated Teles. Then one day I got a hankering for one. Bought one, Now I want another one.

Yeah there's Jim root, but he's not really a metaller is he? Slipknot are really just a pop band in Drop B.
Quote by shmeegle
didn't mean any offense. But generally, Metallers are not for teles. 3 years ago I was in the same boat, Hated Teles. Then one day I got a hankering for one. Bought one, Now I want another one.

Yeah there's Jim root, but he's not really a metaller is he? Slipknot are really just a pop band in Drop B.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I don't really have a problem with them except that I don't like the way they look, and I'm VERY particular about looks. Also, teles with humbuckers are out there, but they're rare. teles are more suited for classic rock and blues than metal.

I'm more of a fan of strats and pointy shaped guitars.
Quote by Diamond Dave

I used to be more or less the same. Never liked pointy, but was always a sucker for carved top superstrats Teles just kind of grew on me all of a sudden. Getting old...
Quote by shmeegle

I thought the same thing!
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi