I'm planning on recording at home and was wondering if I need an amp or not. If I buy a simple multieffects pedal and connect it to my PC, would that suffice? I figure if I want to hear myself playing I could plug earphones into the pedal, right?

All feedback appreciated.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
I've used my ME-50 hooked up to an audio interface recording into Garage Band. It sounded okay and all without mixing but I'm not really a tone snob when it comes to just recording back tracks and junk. It can be done but don't expect it to be very high quality.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by breakstuff
I'm planning on recording at home and was wondering if I need an amp or not.
Having an amp is always good.
If I buy a simple multieffects pedal and connect it to my PC, would that suffice?

If you're going to just hook up a pedal to the computer, forget the pedal and get an audio interface. Buy something like Guitar Rig or Amplitube, or if you find a good free amp VST, use that. After that you can download pretty much any effect for free.
After that you have infinite possibilities with your sound.
Quote by breakstuff

I figure if I want to hear myself playing I could plug earphones into the pedal, right?

No. unless the pedal you buy has a headphone output.

If your whole idea is to record on your computer, you absolutely need an audio interface. If you want a real amp, you'll have to get microphone/s as well and an audio interface that supports XLR.
ehhhh it can be done with the stock sound card of most PC's. it just isn't ideal. Ethan_Hanus has a really good tutorial about DI recording.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
You don't need the amp or pedal if that's all you'll be doing. You need either an interface to connect to your computer or a multitracker. Most software or multitrack DAWs have a range of effects and amp simulations so you'd use that instead of the amp/pedal.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Gundamnitpete
ehhhh it can be done with the stock sound card of most PC's. it just isn't ideal. Ethan_Hanus has a really good tutorial about DI recording.

Stock soundcards are trash to record with. Once I got an interface I never used my soundcard again because of how clean it sounds.

Line-in should only be used if that's the only thing you have at the moment.
ethan does alright with his.

I'm not saying it's gonna give you the best sound qaulity, but if you are looking to just jot down riffs and arrange songs, it works just fine.

that said, i do think an interface is the best course of action.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Yeah you're right. If you have line-in always use that instead of mic-in because it has very poor quality and gives hardware feedback if your output it too high, even if your output isn't actually being fed back to your input in real life. The preamp hardware in Mic-in is somewhat connected to the output.
Last edited by Clay-man at Oct 17, 2011,
Audio Interface is a must. I'd also consider getting and SM-57, it's the industry standard for recording amps and it'll give your recordings that liveliness that a DI just won't get you
Check out my fitness blog here
Yes a multifx will work great. The me50 is a bad choice because it doesn't have amp and cab modeling IIRC.

A multifx with USB is ideal. However I record into the line in of my sound card all the time.
I second the idea of a cheap interface.

However, you can start RIGHT NOW by picking up a 1/4" > 3.5mm adapter from you local AV or hardware store. will probably cost you about a dollar. Then you can plug your guitar straight into your PC using the line in (not mic in!).

Then you can install the unlimited Revalver III demo or freeware like Shred Suite, along with ASIO4ALL to start using the PC as an amp immediately!