Can someone please help me with finding my tone, it's starting to annoy me.

I'm looking for a cutting, deep, defined distortion, as in Wicked Garden, Vicarious, maybe S.C.I.E.N.C.E era Incubus.
But whatever I do in rehearsal room, I can't find it.
For the most part, I get this high sounding sound that makes me wince a bit, or this annoying fuzzy tone.

For the first one, if I had to guess, I'd say there are to many highs, too much treble..but the treble isn't set high at all, and it seems stupid to lower it.

If I turn the treble up it sounds fuzzy, yet if I turn the mids up, it starts sounding a bit nasally.

For the moment I've settled for:
Treble at 7
Mids at 4/5
Bass at 8
Gain at 10

But it's still got that high, dry sounding thing that I don't like.

Can someone help me out with finding tone please..I've looked at a few videos and learnt a bit, but not enough.
I need to know what I'm doing wrong, if it's too dry, what's the problem, too fuzzy what's the problem etc.

By the way, I'm using a Vox vt30, on manual.
Sorry for long post, help please?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
what guitar are you using and what pups has it got?

for starters, vox amps tend to offer more of an old school fuzz than a tight distoriton sound, so thats something to remember.

secondly, you're using a 30 watt valvestate amp in band practice? if you turn the gain and volume up full, it's gonna sound a bit tinny coz its only a small speaker in that amp. it just cant give you the volume or bass you need.

i would say a 100 watt amp will solve a lot of your problems. i know it means spending money but i pretty much guarantee you that a 30 watt solid state amp is dead in the water when playing along with a drummer.

youre gonna struggle with volume, let alone genuine tone.
For the first one, if I had to guess, I'd say there are to many highs, too much treble..but the treble isn't set high at all, and it seems stupid to lower it.

Why would it be stupid to lower the treble if you want less of it, just lower it and see if it sounds better! If it doesn't, then you'll put it back up, you'll never lose on testing.

My suggestion is: set everything to "neutral" listen to what you will need for the tone you're looking for. Once you've figured out what you need to change you'll do it. It isn't wrong to set treble at 0 if needed for you're tone.
Quote by henrihell
Why would it be stupid to lower the treble if you want less of it, just lower it and see if it sounds better! If it doesn't, then you'll put it back up, you'll never lose on testing.

+1

yup. good point. treble at 7 is actually quite high. but still . . . . . you need a bigger amp. the more your amp can cope with, the better it will sound when not on full volume.
Quote by funkymonk1985
what guitar are you using and what pups has it got?

for starters, vox amps tend to offer more of an old school fuzz than a tight distoriton sound, so thats something to remember.

secondly, you're using a 30 watt valvestate amp in band practice? if you turn the gain and volume up full, it's gonna sound a bit tinny coz its only a small speaker in that amp. it just cant give you the volume or bass you need.

i would say a 100 watt amp will solve a lot of your problems. i know it means spending money but i pretty much guarantee you that a 30 watt solid state amp is dead in the water when playing along with a drummer.

youre gonna struggle with volume, let alone genuine tone.

Well, my other guitarist has got a 45 watt Marshall (can't remember which model) and he hasn't got a huge problem..

You could be right..but for the moment, I need to fully understand what each knob does, what too much of each one does, what too little does, what happens when there's too much difference between two etc.

Also because, say I get a 100 watt amp..if I don't know the basics of regulating it, it will always sound crap.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
Well, my other guitarist has got a 45 watt Marshall (can't remember which model) and he hasn't got a huge problem..

You could be right..but for the moment, I need to fully understand what each knob does, what too much of each one does, what too little does, what happens when there's too much difference between two etc.

Also because, say I get a 100 watt amp..if I don't know the basics of regulating it, it will always sound crap.

yeah i get what you mean.

well i love stone temple pilots and one of the key things i realised about their tone, ala wicked garden, is go for the marshall / les paul sound (although i know he used vox ac30s a lot but they're all valve and he had about 10 of them)!

so coz we cant afford 10 £2000 vox valve amps, a valvestate marshall is a good option.

roll off the gain a bit and have the bass on 4/5, mids on about 6.5 and treble on 5.

your bassist will help you fill out the lower end of the riffs and when in doubt, remember that less is more - don't keep pushing your amp up if you havent got the tone at a lower volume.

hope that helps.

Quote by funkymonk1985
yeah i get what you mean.

well i love stone temple pilots and one of the key things i realised about their tone, ala wicked garden, is go for the marshall / les paul sound (although i know he used vox ac30s a lot but they're all valve and he had about 10 of them)!

so coz we cant afford 10 £2000 vox valve amps, a valvestate marshall is a good option.

roll off the gain a bit and have the bass on 4/5, mids on about 6.5 and treble on 5.

your bassist will help you fill out the lower end of the riffs and when in doubt, remember that less is more - don't keep pushing your amp up if you havent got the tone at a lower volume.

hope that helps.

Ok thanks..weird thing is, I get the tone about right when the amp master is low..it sounds crap when I turn it up.
Quote by Krieger91
Ok thanks..weird thing is, I get the tone about right when the amp master is low..it sounds crap when I turn it up.

yeah that's what i mean - unfortunately, the vox vt30 justs wont sound great turned up coz its only a practice amp.

maybe in btween now and getting a new amp you can plug your vox into the pa system the vocalist uses?