Hey all,

One of our songs starts with an F5 powerchord, but the main verse riff and solo is in A Minor, do powerchords have the same rules as open chords do in terms of keys and scales and such? So I guess what I'm asking is; could using an F5 powerchord as the first chord in the intro work with the rest of the song, being that its in A minor after the intro?
Power chords are essentially an F chord without the 3rd interval. This means that they are not minor or not major. Now in regards to the a minor more than likely no but it depends on the other chords in the song. You'd be better off using a G.
Quote by controlledchaos
Hey all,

One of our songs starts with an F5 powerchord, but the main verse riff and solo is in A Minor, do powerchords have the same rules as open chords do in terms of keys and scales and such? So I guess what I'm asking is; could using an F5 powerchord as the first chord in the intro work with the rest of the song, being that its in A minor after the intro?

if it sounds good....who cares???
Quote by ThrashKing

And no matter how much theory you learn, sometimes it does just come down to this.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by controlledchaos
Hey all,

If it sounds good to you then it is good. In this case it's absolutely fine even from a strict theory point of view as F is in the A minor scale.

The key of a song isn't what chord you start on, it's where what you're playing resolves to, it just so happens that most songs also start on the key centre.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by GaryBillington
And no matter how much theory you learn, sometimes it does just come down to this.

Pretty much this. And not to be picky, but this probably belongs in Musician Talk
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
Quote by ThrashKing

KA CHING!
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.