Hey guys,

I currently play a 6505+ into a low end Peavey 4x12 cab. It's this one to be exact:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-HP-412-4x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-105781280-i1478822.gc

I didn't buy this cab, it just came free with my amp head. I find the tone to be very muddy. not crisp whatsoever. I want to upgrade, but I'm wondering if it's worth changing the speakers or if I should just buy a new cab. I know a decent amount about guitars and amps but not so much about cabs or speakers. What would even be a reasonable speaker to swap in? My friend seems to think Celestion vintage 30s. They seem to cost around 150 each, so a total of 600 bucks. The matched 6505 cab is more than that, around 800, and the Mesa cabs I looked at are even more (around 900,) and Orange cabs more still (1000ish.)

I don't have a set budget, but I'd like to get good sound for the lowest price possible. Would swapping v30s into this cab be a good move? Thanks.

P.S. I play mostly hard rock/metalcore stuff.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Last edited by AndyR83 at Oct 17, 2011,
You may want to consider mixing speakers, it is a very good choice in my opinion. Half v30s half something else is a pretty standard mix i believe, so you may want to consider that.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
i like WGS veteran 30's, about half of a vintage 30, and a bit less mid's.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I have the head going into a 2X12 with a V30 and a G12T-75. It's perfect. For me anyway.
Excellent balance.

I recommend you go to the Mesa store for the V30s. They are the cheapest place I could find. It will still be $142 shipped compared to $145 everywhere else. That's to upstate NY. Should be similar for you.

They were also the only ones with the England version (regardless of what the pics show at the other sites) if that matters to you.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/12ingusp.html
Is this easy to do? I literally know nothing about this stuff. Never even looked inside a cab before. I don't know what all the stuff with ohms and wiring and everything means. Based on that link I posted above, can I just drop these directly in? Also my 6505 has a switch on the back to select 4, 8, or 16 ohms. Would I still use 16?

Sorry for sounding like a noob.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
i honestly would get a whole new sturdier cab. it will sound alot better
try whitebox, the even give you the option to mix v30's with g-12's

http://www.whiteboxeng.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=30_39&products_id=68
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by D_M_I
I have the head going into a 2X12 with a V30 and a G12T-75. It's perfect. For me anyway.
Excellent balance.

I recommend you go to the Mesa store for the V30s. They are the cheapest place I could find. It will still be $142 shipped compared to $145 everywhere else. That's to upstate NY. Should be similar for you.

They were also the only ones with the England version (regardless of what the pics show at the other sites) if that matters to you.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/12ingusp.html

there 2 things I have to say about that. first off, Mesa V30s are different than regular V30s. secondly, you can get them around 100$ shipped. Avatar speakers can sell you individual speakers, they quoted me for 4 v30s, or 2v30s and 2k100s for under 400$ shipped. they also sell hellatone 60s which are broken in V30s for 99$ shipped.
When making a selection, how do I know if I should get the 8 or 16 ohm speakers? What is the difference? I know my amp lets me select 4, 8, or 16 ohm output but I am not entirely sure what this means or how it should influence my decision when purchasing a cab.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
Look at what Ohms the speakers are now. order that ohm in speakers. Change 1 speaker at a time, hooking them up exactly as they were. your cab will be the same as it was, with better speakers.

I would look at WGS speakers the Veteran 30 and ET65 are a great combo. and the speakers are $70 each and made in the USA not China.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't think I'd put $400-600 worth of speakers into a cheap cab. And @ $300 for a 4x12, that's pretty damn cheap cab :P

Does it have to be a 4x12? You could go with a mesa 2x12 rectifier cab for ~ $700 new. Or find a used 4x12 recto cab for around the same money.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by AndyR83
Is this easy to do?

changing speakers is pretty easy even for someone without much experience

Quote by AndyR83
I literally know nothing about this stuff. Never even looked inside a cab before.

not much going on really. most contemporary speaker connectors don't require tools to manipulate either. i usually just need a phillips head screw driver to take the back panel off. some of the older amps i have actually solder the wire to the speaker but that is pretty rare now-a-days.

Quote by AndyR83
I don't know what all the stuff with ohms and wiring and everything means.

you don't really need to understand 'why' so much if you don't feel like learning. just pick an impedance that works with your amp (8 ohms is pretty universal) and get the appropriate speakers (8 ohm) and wire them in series/parallel.

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html

Quote by AndyR83
Based on that link I posted above, can I just drop these directly in? Also my 6505 has a switch on the back to select 4, 8, or 16 ohms. Would I still use 16?

you must place speakers in some sort of logical way. if you want 16 ohm rating on the cab, then you will need 16 ohms speakers wired in series/parallel. whatever you choose, you'll need the amps output impedance set to the cabinet's nominal rated impedance.

Quote by trav2448
i honestly would get a whole new sturdier cab. it will sound alot better

both cabinets should be made with a thicker baltic birch ply and they should both use some type of jointing with similar strengths. in other words, upgrading for 'durability' wouldn't be effective as they are very similar in design and implementation so you wouldn't really be upgrading.

@TS. i'd replace the stock peavey speakers with V30's and G12K-100's in an X pattern (if i was playing 'metalcore' anyway). for rock, i'd get a set Weber blue dogs and silver bells.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Get rid of the cab it's crap construction. Mesa 4 x 12 rectifier cabs run 500-600 used. Pick up one of those. Every metal core band uses a 6505+ into a Mesa cab.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Seanthesheep
there 2 things I have to say about that. first off, Mesa V30s are different than regular V30s. secondly, you can get them around 100$ shipped. Avatar speakers can sell you individual speakers, they quoted me for 4 v30s, or 2v30s and 2k100s for under 400$ shipped. they also sell hellatone 60s which are broken in V30s for 99$ shipped.

I have an email from Mesa stating "they are the England version, standard design". I asked them specifically if they are a Mesa design or not. I honestly don't care as I love the sound. I still would have to question a $100 V30 stating that it's exactly the same as generic. They have their own sticker also, compared to the Eglands and the International.

Whatever, not really important. Don't want to hijack.

I wish I could get you some recordings with the 2X12 V30 / G12T-75 setup. My home was flooded during Irene/Lee storms and lost my main PC and Hard drives with all my shit... Saved the guitars and amps. Pretty much all the vids on You-tube are a shootout between the two and not really a combined example.
Quote by D_M_I
I have an email from Mesa stating "they are the England version, standard design". I asked them specifically if they are a Mesa design or not. I honestly don't care as I love the sound. I still would have to question a $100 V30 stating that it's exactly the same as generic. They have their own sticker also, compared to the Eglands and the International.

i have heard the same thing, just restickered V30's.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Jaredmkl
Get rid of the cab it's crap construction. Mesa 4 x 12 rectifier cabs run 500-600 used. Pick up one of those. Every metal core band uses a 6505+ into a Mesa cab.

People don't use Mesa cabs because they're sturdier. People use them for the same reason people don't switch pickups in their guitars - they just don't think about it/don't want to learn how. Honestly, you're not going to find a cab that's much sturdier than a Peavey cab. They use shit speakers, but they make the toughest shit around.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by gumbilicious

nope, I think it was over on the boogie boards, but a guy did a side by side shootout of stock mesa v30s vs "regular" v30s. tried out in the same cab and IIRC the mesa V30s were voiced more in the lower mids, or something along those lines. ill try and find it, but i do recall there being a noticable diffference
i would sell your cab and buy something else on the used market. look at my gear on my profile. out of all of those cabs only the randall one was purchased new. and i have lots of english celestions, in different cabs, K85's t75's, V30, EVH's, etc. i havent paid more than $150 for any of those cabs, except the mesa which was $350, and i could sell just a pair of any of those english speakers and have gotten my money back, and have two speakers. just look on craigslist they pop up quickly
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would say look at port city wave. Their 2x12 os cabinet sounds bigger than most 4x12 cabinets. It will definitely sound a lot better. One of the best parts of my rig for sure
Quote by gumbilicious

I meant the Avatars have a different sticker. The first one is the one I received from Mesa. The second one is Avatars.
Attachments:
V30.jpg
Last edited by D_M_I at Oct 18, 2011,
Mesa v30's are the same as The v30's you'd buy from Celestion. They sound different because the Cab is bigger...
GEAR
Quote by Jaredmkl
Mesa v30's are the same as The v30's you'd buy from Celestion. They sound different because the Cab is bigger...

They have also used the V60, which is a V30 with a little more lows. ENGL uses these also in their cabs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What do you guys think about Port City cabs? Comparable to Mesas? I was toying with the idea of a 2x12 and possibly getting a second one later on if needed. That or a used mesa 4x12.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
Last edited by AndyR83 at Oct 18, 2011,
If your playing metalcore, the Mesa 4 x 12. you can't go wrong with it. I used to play in a touring metalcore band
GEAR
My vote goes for new cab. Putting expensive speakers in a crappy cab is a waste of money, when you could sell it and buy a better cab on the used market, with the speakers you want, for less money out of pocket than the cost of replacing the speakers inside your cheap one.

Quote by Jaredmkl

Actually, Mesa uses a 70w version of the V30 that isn't readily available to the public (or at least they used to, I haven't looked inside a new cab in a while).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 19, 2011,
They use normal v30's now. Mine has the 60 watt ones atleast. I got it from another band, the guy said it was stock.

Edit: They used to use c90's i know that...
GEAR
Quote by Jaredmkl
They use normal v30's now. Mine has the 60 watt ones atleast. I got it from another band, the guy said it was stock.

Interesting. Just did some Googling, looks like they changed to normal V30s in '07. The older cabs had the 70w speakers (the 2x12s were rated at 140w and the 4x12s at 280w) which IMO sounded better than regular V30s
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting. Just did some Googling, looks like they changed to normal V30s in '07. The older cabs had the 70w speakers (the 2x12s were rated at 140w and the 4x12s at 280w) which IMO sounded better than regular V30s

Maybe mine is older then ? I know for fact they are 60 watt... Maybe he did swapp them. Either way, every metalcore band is using rectifier oversized cabs with 6505's with an overdrive in the front (mostly maxon 0d808, some with ts-9's and some with ocd pdelas). So TS I personally would suggest that
GEAR
My vote is that you should buy and Avatar cab.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

They are cheap, well built, and modeled after already existing cabs that we all know and love.

On top of that, they are completely customizable for no extra cost. You pick your tolex color, grill cloth, and speakers, AND you can mix and match the speakers. You could do V30's and G12-T75's in an x pattern and have AMAZING tone with your 6505.

AND they make one called the "Contemporary" that is the exact specifications of and Orange PPC412.

Doesn't get much better. ;]
Keeping it heavy since '92.
Quote by mynameisdrakex
My vote is that you should buy and Avatar cab.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

They are cheap, well built, and modeled after already existing cabs that we all know and love.

On top of that, they are completely customizable for no extra cost. You pick your tolex color, grill cloth, and speakers, AND you can mix and match the speakers. You could do V30's and G12-T75's in an x pattern and have AMAZING tone with your 6505.

AND they make one called the "Contemporary" that is the exact specifications of and Orange PPC412.

Doesn't get much better. ;]

It's close, but the orange is a bit deeper I know, and I think It's also abit wider
GEAR