I've been listening to more and more AAL (mostly Weightless, recently) and his use of the slap technique is astounding and heavy - very powerful.

Now, I've watched videos of him talking about how he does it: thumb down, thumb up, pointer, middle (ring then pinky if needed/wanted). I have run into a problem trying to emulate it though (it might be a tuning/guitar issue more than anything, coincidentally).

When I try and dig in with my thumb to get that popping sound I, well, can't. It doesn't have any body to it and it sounds very small, and all of this is assuming I ACTUALLY got a sound out of the string.

Any ideas on what I can do to help? If I need to go study bassists/get thicker strings that'll work just fine, but it'll have to come later.

I can take a picture(s) later of the position I'm using and stuff if needed, but I'm unsure of what I need to do to get a better, more "poppier" sound
Change strings. The biggest issue with slapping is to find the right strings, and to always have fresh strings, then it's time to really start training the technique. You can't slap with old strings, it just won't sound like slapping.
Quote by henrihell
Change strings. The biggest issue with slapping is to find the right strings, and to always have fresh strings, then it's time to really start training the technique. You can't slap with old strings, it just won't sound like slapping.

I figured so much, but you can still practice the technique and get a sound out of the string that doesn't sound like a wet noodle.
I suspect that you may need heavier strings and/or a longer scale to get a sound as powerful and snappy as Tosin. My 27in Agile snaps, pops and crackles like a beast without much provocation.

That said you can certainly sound brilliant on a standard scale.

Are you aware of Drewsif Stalin's stuff? Also lots of slap on 8 string, you might dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLUv6W3360Q&feature=related
You might also want to look at bass lessons by Victor Wooten, he's the main proponent of the "double thump" technique as it's known on bass.

Really if you can get your head around it on bass then the only thing you need to do for guitar is make your movements smaller to adapt it to guitar.

Check this lesson, I think it's a pretty perfect place to start as Vic is a really good teacher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cpKqUfkbPY
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for those vids! They helped get me started, but I do think when I get my 8-string is when I'll really be able to do it.

And yeah, I've heard of Drewsif Stalin. Following him on Tumblr, actually... he's got some pretty good djenty stuff.
How are you tunned ?

Consider that tosin has an 8 string, this means his thickest string is basically the thinest of the bass strings i presume. Slaping and Popping has a lot to do with the thicknes of the string
Quote by apajr
How are you tunned ?

Consider that tosin has an 8 string, this means his thickest string is basically the thinest of the bass strings i presume. Slaping and Popping has a lot to do with the thicknes of the string

Actually since Tosin tunes to EBEADGBE he's actually got access to the full range of a normal 4 string bass
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.