So I have a couple questions about the 2 channel dual rectos. was there a revision in where they got the footswitchable solo boost like all the 3ch rectos have?

and I know alot of people prefer 2ch recto to their 3ch counter parts (excluding the new 2010 reborn rectos) for distortion. what about cleans. which ones have better cleans?

because lately it seems that the 2 ch rectos are going real cheap on Ebay. so I might try and snag one at a good price.
Same circuit for the cleans. The whole 2 channel thing is stupid. In my opinion atleast. I've Never played a triple or a roadking, but I own the Single and I've played the 3 channel, the 2 channel, The multi-watt, and the Roadster dual recs. And the 2 channel sounds The same to me, maybe even abit less tight. And the cleans are the same. I'd go for a Roadster or a Multiwatt if you can. If not get a 3 channel
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
The Multi-Watt are the best of the regular Rectos, IMO. It'll take a while for them to get down in price though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree on the 2010s sounding best, out all the rectos ive played (which is not that much) the 2010s are the easiest to get to sound good.

and Im looking like real cheap if i were to buy one (like under 1000) so anything new prolly wont work (I refuse to buy the mini recto although Im super curious about it)

so youre saying the clean on the 2 ch and 3 ch are the same? ive heard the opposite, where for the 2 ch the clean channel is a channel with reduced gain stages, while the 3 ch has a dedicated clean channel.

EDIT:

....... I wonder how a recto preamp would sound through my peavey 6534+'s poweramp
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Oct 17, 2011,
Ill sell you my Single rec for 950 plus shipping.

The Dual rec under 1000 is a RARE sight. They sale for 1200 usually
GEAR
Quote by Seanthesheep
I agree on the 2010s sounding best, out all the rectos ive played (which is not that much) the 2010s are the easiest to get to sound good.

and Im looking like real cheap if i were to buy one (like under 1000) so anything new prolly wont work (I refuse to buy the mini recto although Im super curious about it)

so youre saying the clean on the 2 ch and 3 ch are the same? ive heard the opposite, where for the 2 ch the clean channel is a channel with reduced gain stages, while the 3 ch has a dedicated clean channel.

EDIT:

....... I wonder how a recto preamp would sound through my peavey 6534+'s poweramp

Bad.. There's a reason Recto's run 6l6's... They sound pretty bad with EL34's
GEAR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-1000-/110759656533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c9ca3c55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-2-Channel-Dual-Rectifier-2001-w-cover-optional-flight-case-6L6-12AX7-/300603571649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd5e7dc1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mesa-dual-rectifier-tremoverb-/320773500503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaf972e57

those are all current listings......

and I have good things about rectos with EL34s, but these are guys who like EL34s though.

because if itd sound good, I could run the recto pre into the fx return of my peavey and use an A/B box to switch between the mesa and peavey circuits whichd be pretty awesome..... only if it would yield good tone though
Oh snap, they finally went down from when I got mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPTtbk-b1H4
GEAR
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by Jaredmkl
Same circuit for the cleans. The whole 2 channel thing is stupid. In my opinion atleast. I've Never played a triple or a roadking, but I own the Single and I've played the 3 channel, the 2 channel, The multi-watt, and the Roadster dual recs. And the 2 channel sounds The same to me, maybe even abit less tight. And the cleans are the same. I'd go for a Roadster or a Multiwatt if you can. If not get a 3 channel

Errr, clearly the ones you've played either had something wrong with them, or your ear isn't developed enough to discern the differences.

The 2 channel Rectos are significantly tighter than 3 channels, as in, not even a competition how big of a difference it is. The cleans are also noticeably worse.

I haven't tried the 2010 model yet, but from what I've heard, it's a good middle ground between the two previous versions.

Quote by Jaredmkl
Ill sell you my Single rec for 950 plus shipping.

The Dual rec under 1000 is a RARE sight. They sale for 1200 usually

Quite the opposite.

The ones for $1200 take forever to sell. I sold mine for that, but I also bought it for $800 and was willing to sit on the cash for a while. I've bought close to 8 of them in the past and never paid over $950 for one, well, aside from the FJA modded Racktifier, which I was not impressed by at all

Quote by Jaredmkl
Bad.. There's a reason Recto's run 6l6's... They sound pretty bad with EL34's

On the contrary, I MUCH prefer Rectos with EL-34s. Tightens them up and makes them clearer. 6L6s make 3 channels sound so muddy it's disgusting, they're alright in 2 channels.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Errr, clearly the ones you've played either had something wrong with them, or your ear isn't developed enough to discern the differences.

The 2 channel Rectos are significantly tighter than 3 channels, as in, not even a competition how big of a difference it is. The cleans are also noticeably worse.

I haven't tried the 2010 model yet, but from what I've heard, it's a good middle ground between the two previous versions.

Quite the opposite.

The ones for $1200 take forever to sell. I sold mine for that, but I also bought it for $800 and was willing to sit on the cash for a while. I've bought close to 8 of them in the past and never paid over $950 for one, well, aside from the FJA modded Racktifier, which I was not impressed by at all

On the contrary, I MUCH prefer Rectos with EL-34s. Tightens them up and makes them clearer. 6L6s make 3 channels sound so muddy it's disgusting, they're alright in 2 channels.

agreed on all points, well done!
el-34's all the way for leads. for a purely rythm guitarist, you could go either way IMO.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quite the opposite.

I could heard a huge difference in a youtube video which compared the dual, triple, and FJA modded. It could have been you, you sick bastard. The triple did sound loose and more mid-dy (in a bad way). The dual rec is not my style, but it isn't an easy amp to diss. I have hated every triple rec I have heard or played.
^ try one from the early 90's before cali's super-gay laws restricted their use of lead components.
Quote by GrisKy
^ try one from the early 90's before cali's super-gay laws restricted their use of lead components.

Gay. Cali pisses me off.
Hmm yea, Im kinda liking the idea of the recto pre running through my peveys poweramp with an A/B box.

You can run 2 preamps into the same poweramp without somerhing going boom. Right?

Because Id want to get the recto sound, but it also has to have good cleans.

On another note, i got offered a mesa 50caliber+ combo for my mesa metal grille 412 its in another thread
^ Are you referring to the Recto Recording Preamp? I haven't tried that one myself, but I've heard from a few friends that they suck in comparison to the heads.

Also, .50 Cal+ is a really cool amp. I used to have the head version and later got rid of it when I replaced it with a DC-5 combo, which I assumed would be very similar. I was wrong, the .50 Cal was so much better Maybe not in cleans, but that lead channel was wayyyyy better. Having owned practically every Mesa in existance, the 2 Channel Recto and the .50 Cal+ are really the only two amps I would ever buy again.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yea, I just remebered the recto recording pre, is the dual rec Solos preamp :/

well this sucks. the 2ch have better distortion but worse cleans, while the 3ch have better cleans but not as epic distortion. Should I just try and get a cheap Trem-o-verb?
Quote by Seanthesheep
Yea, I just remebered the recto recording pre, is the dual rec Solos preamp :/

well this sucks. the 2ch have better distortion but worse cleans, while the 3ch have better cleans but not as epic distortion. Should I just try and get a cheap Trem-o-verb?

How great of cleans do you need? It's not like the 2 Channel's cleans are unusable, but they are noticeably worse than the 3 channel.

The Tremoverb is a great amp though, it's very similar to a 2 channel on the lead channel, but with great cleans. Many people think it's the best Recto ever made
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quite the opposite.

+1

The schematics will confirm the differences too. They're not completely different designs but the differences are significant enough to make a very noticeable difference.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by MatrixClaw
How great of cleans do you need? It's not like the 2 Channel's cleans are unusable, but they are noticeably worse than the 3 channel.

The Tremoverb is a great amp though, it's very similar to a 2 channel on the lead channel, but with great cleans. Many people think it's the best Recto ever made

Ideally, better than my 6534+which are better than the 6505+ but sae deal.useable but not great
if you were in the UK i would sell you my 2 channel recto

as someone else said earlier the 2 channel is still tighter than the 2010 3 channel, but the 2010 is significantly better than the normal 3 channel. the 2010 is a very good middle ground.

as far as cleans go, its a recto. it has fairly average cleans in all its variants. go for a 2 channel, just cos it is the best version. you wont be dissappointed by it
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Be aware that Tremoverb's are crazy heavy and not that common in head form compared to the combo.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Im not too concerned about wieght, and the combo vs head thing doesnt matter too much too, as long as the combo has V30s (which it does) and sounds good.

but thanks for that heads up
Cool. Just wanted to make sure you knew. It can be (and has been) a deal breaker for a ton of people.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT