I have been offered a trade for my beloved Dr Z. RxES (with 2x12 cab) for a Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo.

Anyone have a roadster?

I love love love love my clean tone in the RxES, but I am just not getting the tightness in the low end on my heavier stuff from a stompbox. I have been told this is due to the fact that its a Class A am and has a very hot triod. It would also be nice to have some reverb again.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. I love my Z and don't want to trade it away if the mesa isn't going to have a good clean. And if I am basing my decision on false information.

I play lots of clean guitar, with some blues. However I also play some drop tuned metal on a not infrequent basis. Including a 7 String baritone.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
can't you just try the mesa? I have used the Roadster before and I didn't really like it, but that is just my opinion.
The roadster has a good clean sound, but if it were me going from a RxES to the Mesa I'd be disappointed by them. They're more of the traditional Mesa style cleans, which are rather neutral and "beige" sounding. I would definitely not call them bad cleans, and with some reverb they can sound very nice, but if you're hoping for the complex chimey tones you're getting with your Z, you're not going to like the Mesa.

So, if you don't mind a different sort of clean tone, and realize that you're sacrificing a bit of that for the versatility of the Roadster, it could be a fine trade. There are not that many amps out there that are going to give you Voxy cleans and keep up with a Bari 7. The Roadster is probably a good compromise if you're not willing to go to a 2-amp setup to get those tones.
I agree. I would love to go to a two amp setup, but just don't have that kind of coin.

I love my Z for 80% of everything I play, and I love that chime. However you are right, it just can't keep up when it gets heavy.

Thanks for your input.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
I have a roadster and personally, I love it. Like Colin said, it's gonna be a matter of which you value more: the chimey cleans of the Z or the versatility of the Mesa. That being said, the roadster is by far one of the most versatile amps out there, and the only way I could see myself giving it up would be if I came across a cheap road king. I like the cleans on the Roadster, but I'm also running a bit of reverb and chorus on them...
Ben
Would you think a very high end stompbox like a SLOstortion or a Mesa Tri Axis be able to tighten up my low end, or would that just be flushing money down the toilet. I have a TRex Bloody Mary now that I like, but its just not as tight as I would like.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
I can't be sure, to be honest. Hell, I don't even know what I'd do in your situation. I've never really messed around with "high-gain pedals" so maybe someone else can come in and give their opinion on how well generally clean amps do with them. Best of luck!
Ben
Depends on how flubby it is. THeres a guy here with a Wampler Triple Wreck,. he says he cant get it to sound even remotely metal with his AC15.

What you CAN do, is buy a separate preamo and run it into your FX loop.

AMT makes good ones. Engl's E530 is also good.

And it doesnt matter if its class A or not. Mesas Mark IV has a class A mode, sounds plenty tight and br00t4l.

EDIT: The tri axis is a preamp not a stompbox. And yeah, a triaxis into your FX return will sound good, provided your speakers are voiced right for metal.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 17, 2011,