Hey UG,
I'm not new here ive been lingering, so...

Im going to start recording stuff at home, and i was wondering if you guys could advise me on what software/hardware i should get!

Im into a lot of hardcore, and screamo stuff...Motionless in White, Asking Alexandria, Of Mice & Men...etc.

Id like to be able to record in really high quality, and also with some sort of software that i can make drum tracks with as i'll be playing all guitar and bass and vocal parts.

As far as budget goes, in the 3-figure amounts if possible. In British Stirling.

Go design me a recording rig UG!

Thanks.
Depends on the 3 figure budget...
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
Depends on the 3 figure budget...

+1,

£100 is a huge difference from £900
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by if-only-he-knew
Up to £900.

How many tracks will you need to record at once?

In general, what you'll need is:

1. Interface
2. Monitors
3. Mics
4. Drum Software
5. Cables

1. The Focusrite Saffire series are pretty much the best ones in their price range. If you need only 2 inputs, the Saffire 6 or 24 should do well, and if you need to record drums, the 8 input Saffire Pro 40 will do nicely and is expandable to 16 tracks via ADAT.

2. This one's really up to you. KRK Rokit 5s (G2 version) are great for the price, and I wouldn't go any cheaper than those. If you want to spend more, great. The Yamaha HS80Ms are pretty much the next step up from the Rokits. There's others in the price range as well, you'd probably do best going to a shop and trying a bunch out to decide which one is right for you, because monitors are very subjective.

On the other hand, you could go with headphones, but they won't give you as accurate of a stereo spread and sound, but you'd definitely be capable of getting a good sound out of them. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50s are the most accurate in a price range that's lower than buying monitors.

3. Shure SM57s are the standard for micing guitars/toms/snares, etc. The Shure SM7b is probably the most used dynamic vocal mic and for a large diaphragm condenser, the AT4040 is great if you can get it used. Depending on what you'll be micing though, really depends on what mics you'll need. If you're not even planning on micing anything, and just recording guitar/bass direct with amp modeling, you don't even need mics.

4. Steven Slate Drums 4.0 comes out soon and sounds pretty awesome from what I've heard, Superior 2.0 is great too, but not the best for a beginner, as it requires you to be able to mix the drums, since they're raw samples. A lot of people around here really like Addictive Drums. I was never a huge fan, but that's worth a look too. SSD EX is fairly cheap and gives you most of the good ones from the Platinum series.

Alternatively, you could download samples on the internet and program your drums for free, but it's a bit more work.

5. This one is pretty obvious. Don't buy cheap cables
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
what about 901?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
EDIT:
see my latest post, got SSD working. Thier online ticket system is the best bet.

All joking aside, i agree with Matrix's post entirely, assuming of course you have a nice amp.

That, and I have SSD EX, and i have emailed thier support twice on two different occasions, with two different problems, and they have never responded. apparently others have had good sucess with support, but i have not.

http://www.slatedigital.com/support/kb_article.php?ref=7344-EIOS-1836

^read the comments
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by Gundamnitpete
All joking aside, i agree with Matrix's post entirely, assuming of course you have a nice amp.

That, and I have SSD EX, and i have emailed thier support twice on two different occasions, with two different problems, and they have never responded. apparently others have had good sucess with support, but i have not.

http://www.slatedigital.com/support/kb_article.php?ref=7344-EIOS-1836

^read the comments

Try PMing Slate on the Sneap forum or Gearslutz or something. Are you emailing to support@slatedigital.com? I've never used their ticket submission system.

It's likely they're just tied up lately because they're gearing up for the release of SSD 4.0. I've honestly never heard of issues with their CS until you mentioned it the other day, but clearly others are having issues too
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Try PMing Slate on the Sneap forum or Gearslutz or something. Are you emailing to support@slatedigital.com? I've never used their ticket submission system.

It's likely they're just tied up lately because they're gearing up for the release of SSD 4.0. I've honestly never heard of issues with their CS until you mentioned it the other day, but clearly others are having issues too

I'll give it a shot, but you gotta admit, if thier online support system completely ignores people who have bought the product, that's not good support, lol.

I've been using the email link i was given way back when i bought it. I'll give the ticket system a shot and if that doesn't work, i'll PM slate himself.

Yeah that page is full of people like me If they get it resolved i'll report back here.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I do like the program alot when it works. Haven't yet gotten into the ins and outs (I.E. reverb on snare, etc.etc.etc), but out of the box the sounds were pretty good to me.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Whadda know, seems like the ticket system is tw best bet. Just got a reply with download instructions. I'll have to wait until I get off work to try them, but it looks good thus far. If this is the case I'll go back and edit my previous posts.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Whadda know, seems like the ticket system is tw best bet. Just got a reply with download instructions. I'll have to wait until I get off work to try them, but it looks good thus far. If this is the case I'll go back and edit my previous posts.

Good to hear! Hopefully all's resolved! SSD is great, I've had S2.0 for a while now and I find myself using SSD most of the time still, because, eventhough I still do processing to them, they are much closer to where I want them. I do really like S2.0 because it sounds super... clean, I guess you'd say. My only issue with it is that the toms require a lot of work to get them to sound anywhere near as big as SSD

SSD I've worked with for so long now that I can pretty much just drag and drop one of the presets I've made into my projects and it sits in the mix nearly perfectly. I feel like I have to fight S2.0 a lot to get it to work, but at the end, it's a bit more rewarding. Still, for the price I paid to get S2.0, I was expecting a lot more. I'm sure the expansion packs are better, but if I have to spend $150 on one, I expect it to sound a lot better (since that's only $7 less than I paid for the program), which I'm sure, isn't the case.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I definitely enjoy SSD. That, and sonik synth 2(VST synth library, 8 gigs worth), really made a difference in my home recordings, IMHO. once I get SSD going again, I can get back into the groove.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
get yourself a nice sounding room
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Got my SSD working, took some fiddling but all seems to be well now. WOOT!
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
what about 901?

As in the kick drum mic?

It's pretty clicky sounding, good for metal type kick drums.
Quote by Wild Hopkins
As in the kick drum mic?

It's pretty clicky sounding, good for metal type kick drums.

actually i was just being a smartass about his budget
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps: