I mean, look at all those old spanish players and others... they didnt have plastic, they couldnt make picks, they had to use their fingers, and they could play incredibly fast single line melodies all with their fingers. I found that if I do not have a pick around, I cant play any good single line melodies and non-fingerstyle (I use my fingers for Chet Atkins stuff) things... so that makes me dependent on a single piece of plastic. What do you think of that ?
Look at all those old spanish players, who played ACOUSTIC/CLASSICAL SPANISH GUITARS

You're as dependant on picks for using picks as you are dependant on using guitars to make music

Quote by kiraly5
I mean, look at all those old spanish players and others... they didnt have plastic, they couldnt make picks, they had to use their fingers, and they could play incredibly fast single line melodies all with their fingers. I found that if I do not have a pick around, I cant play any good single line melodies and non-fingerstyle (I use my fingers for Chet Atkins stuff) things... so that makes me dependent on a single piece of plastic. What do you think of that ?

Lie. Before there was plastic, guitar picks were made out of any semi-solid material, most notably: bones and teeth.
Last edited by Zeletros at Oct 17, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
Look at all those old spanish players, who played ACOUSTIC/CLASSICAL SPANISH GUITARS

You're as dependant on picks for using picks as you are dependant on using guitars to make music

Lie. Before there was plastic, guitar picks were made out of any semi-solid material, most notably: bones and teeth.

I think plucking strings with something other than fingers is something that comes to mind quite fast, think coins, pieces of wood (yeah I bet there were some wood picks by then) even combs and rulers... so yeah... nothing brings you dependency other than your imagination
Once you can play a song flawless with a pick, you can do it without one just using your fingers the same way. It doesn't feel too good, but when my pick flys off somewhere I can usually finish just by leaving my thumb and index together as if the pick as still there. It's easier to do than you think, even on little fast licks. It is especially easy if the song is just chords.

The pick is just something to take wear and tear off your fingers as far as I'm concerned. If we lived in the post apocalyptic world with no clean water or power, I would still play guitar with or without picks, just do it.
do u look at your guitar and consider yourself dependent on it? everything is a tool to help u achieve the sound u want
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I think the same way about guitar strings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I started playing w/o a pick because I liked the fingers to string connection, but I found I liked and needed the pick to get the sounds and accuracy I wanted. When I play acoustic, usually at night, usually in one of my kid's bedrooms I play with fingers. Its quiet and soothing and a nice way to unwind. When I jam, or practice w/ headphones the pick is a must...
he of tranquil mind
Quote by kiraly5

Legato is no problem without a pick for me. But for picking, well that's obvious I hope. Fingerstyle is...just that.

There are a couple of players that spring to mind when it comes to playing without pick, in the rock and blues genre. Namely Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck.

For example, I can't play the fast repetition lick at the end of Sultan's Of Swing unless I use a pick.
If you feel that way, learn PIMA
You can also learn Hybrid Picking.
The more techniques you know, the better.
Fingerstyle comes much more naturally to me than playing with a pick, and when it comes down to it, I actually prefer playing fingerstyle. But I also like playing heavy metal and I want to shred some day, so I make sure to practice daily with a pick, too.
Before they were outlawed for obvious reasons, picks were made of tortoise shell. I have a small collection of them that I inherited from my folks.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
depends on the style if im playing a spanish ill use my pick if im doing rock our something . So i would say its not the play that dependent on the pick but the style of music
Last edited by stevosmusic1 at Oct 18, 2011,
i don't that this is not something addictive.

This is all about style.

You can see the same things at drummers, some of them have a traditional grip, others have a modern one.

It is all about style in my opinion.

It is good to be versatile, but on the long run you should do whatever you want to as long as you play the music you like
Quote by Freepower
Did you ever wonder if playing guitar made you dependent on the guitar? Learn to sing.

Then you're dependent on your vocal cords
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube