Page 1 of 2
Hello,

Haven't posted on here for a while, so anyway....

I'm considering a new guitar for a band that I'm doing with some people, I want it to go well with the other guitarists rig, but not sound noticeably different at the same time.

My friend's guitar rig is a gibson les paul standard through a jcm 800.

I play through a jcm 900 dr. Right now I am using my epiphone lp 100. Which is cool, but not nearly as crisp as I want it to be. Our tones tend to mix together, and I want to avoid that.

I am thinking about getting a fender strat (if its a horrible idea, just say it), one that fits humbuckers in the bridge and single coils in the neck and middle. I just need advice on how it would sound mixed with my friend's guitar rig, and if it is good for the metal/metalcore genre. I'll specify later. Pickup selection too.

Sooooooo.... does anyone have experience with strats in this type of music? Preferably not single coil strats. If so, what kind of pickups do you use and what amps do you play out of? Has it worked well for the kind of music you play? One of my main concerns is how loud I can get with it, since my rig isn't as powerful as my friend's.

I am not looking to get a solo-y metal type tone, if that makes any sense. I dont want a lot of middle in my tone. I want to get decent lows and highs, and be able to switch from light distortion to heavy distortion and have it sound good
That sounds like a pretty dang cool idea I think! Go for it!

I would get a DiMarzio Evolution for the bridge on a strat type of guitar, a Blaze single coil for the middle, and then a Super Distortion single coil for the neck pickup.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Last edited by Kalo Hanaka at Oct 17, 2011,
for metalcore you are gonna most likely need emgs in your strat, and maybe a different amp, im not sure the jcm900 is really geared towards metalcore tbh
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Well there's the Blacktop Stratocaster, which is pretty cheap as far as Fender Strats go and it has two humbuckers.
This is my opinion about it;

It's not a horrible idea.. though it is very tricky. First of, a Fender Strat is just NOT a metal/heavy rock guitar, and it never will be. They're not designed for heavy riffs and high gain. If you really want a Fender Strat, and make a metal guitar out of it, it's gonna cost you a lot of money. You need a good, and therefore a pretty expensive stratocaster, in order to get yourself some good wood and hardware. If you don't get yourself a decent guitar in the first place, imho, it's not worth the investments of new pick ups and such. Then, when you get the stratocaster that's all nice and good, you're gonna need some heavy pick ups to get to the sustain and ofcourse, to handle the amount of distortion. I tried the single coil shape humbuckers.. and they're okay, but I wouldn't be satisfied with those if I'm looking for a heavy sound. So you'll need real humbuckers. Think about Dimarzio if you really want this.

Now, what I would do, is get a powerstrat like an Ibanez or a PRS. They're ready for some heavy tones, deliver very good quality for the price you pay and ofcourse you're gonna save a lot of money.

Think about it like this

A decent stratocaster will cost you about 500 to 600 euros. The pick ups will be around 200 euros. If you're not gonna put them in yourself, you'll need to spend some money on a guitar tech too.

Whilst a 500 to 600 dollar PRS will instantly give you a killer heavy tone.

Hope this will help you out
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
Would work, nothing wrong with that idea at all; however finding pickups to suit may be a bit tricky as mentioned the staple for most heavy metal is an active pickup of some kind, I know you could get em through EMG, SD might have something in the blackout line as well I havent looked at single coils too much.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
an hss strat would be fine. it might not be the first choice (though i'm struggling to think of any actual reasons against at the same time), but it'll work. it's not like you're using a hollowbody or something. I mean superstrats are used a lot in metal, and an HSS strat is basically... a superstrat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look at Iron Maiden. Yngwie Malmsteen. Modded Strats can do metal tones just fine.

An HSS Strat can be fine for metal. What do you think you get by using a more 'metal' super Strat like an RG instead? More pointy cutaways doesn't make the tone any more metal. Get an Ibanez JEM or ESP M-series or a Jackson Soloist or anything else like it. Get a Fender Strat. Put a medium or high output humbucker in the bridge of both. They'll all do the exact same job.

A Strat will certainly help you stand out from your friend's Les Paul. He'll have more bass and you'll have more treble, to put it very simply. The JCM900 should do any kind of metal tone you want just fine as it is, though using a higher output humbucker certainly would help. You might want to replace the single coils with noise-cancelling ones too, if you intend to use them with much gain as well.
A Strat could work for metal in the right configuration. Sure they weren't made for metal, but they can get there. Look at a Jackson. At it's core there is an alder body, maple neck, and depending on the model, dual humbuckers or an HSS setup. A Strat shares this, without the pointed headstock, Floyd Rose, and slightly different body shape.

Simply look at Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. Uses mainly modded out Strats. I've modded all my strats like this. Some with Hot Rails, others with a HSH setup, and sometimes the HSS. Point is with the right pickup and amp, any guitar can do what you want it to.
Yeah Strats can do metal but they say Charvel on them and will cost you a cool $1000 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Fenderexpx50
Hot Rails

This. My old guitar teacher had a strat with hot rails and it sounded killer. Maybe not "perfect" for metalcore but was still heavy and sounded great.
you want a good metal sound and to do something different then consider an SSS strat loaded with Lace Sensor pickups. the Red/Silver/Blue set will deliver good metal tone yet still retain the positive aspects of a single coil.
I have a Hot Rails in my Strat. To shorten the description: everything people say a Strat can't do, mine does, and well. Only issue is that you have to EQ your amp differently than if you were using a standard humbucker, but it's worth it.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah Strats can do metal but they say Charvel on them and will cost you a cool $1000 new.
This as well.

If you would prefer going with a standard humbucker-loaded Strat, check out Charvel's Pro Mod series (So-Cal, Wild Card, etc.). They also have Original Floyd Rose tremolos on them, and they actually manage to be slightly more comfortable than a typical Strat design. I own a limited-edition HSS Wild Card (PIC)
Get a strat if you like the way it feels. I didn't know you absolutely had to have a les paul and active pickups for heavy metal..... news to me.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Strats aren't metal?

Tell that to Iron Maiden.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Strats aren't metal?

Tell that to Iron Maiden.

Exactly. I love when people say starts aren ot for hard rock or metal, then see tons of hard rock/metal bands using strats. lol. Strats can play anything.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
Single coils an humbuckers produce very different tones. If someone prefers the humbucker tone for playing metal, than obviously a single coil isn't going to do it.

I prefer a humbucker for metal and I prefer a single coil for blues. Am I wrong?
Honestly, strats are more versatile than les pauls, IMO.
I mean you can put any kind of bridge on it, modify the pickguard in any way with whatever pickups imaginable, swap out the neck...
So strats can in fact be metal.
More so emphasized with the fact that they were used most during the prime era of the electric guitar, the 80's.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Honestly, strats are more versatile than les pauls, IMO.
I mean you can put any kind of bridge on it, modify the pickguard in any way with whatever pickups imaginable, swap out the neck...
So strats can in fact be metal.
More so emphasized with the fact that they were used most during the prime era of the electric guitar, the 80's.

wut?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-s-CUSTOM-GUITAR-STRAT-BODY-GENUINE-EVH-FRANKENSTEIN-PICKUP-BIG-BLOCK-FLOYD-/180668469807?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a10ae122f
Just get another pick-guard and some dimarzio single coils and you'll have a metalcore machine.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by W4RP1G
Single coils an humbuckers produce very different tones. If someone prefers the humbucker tone for playing metal, than obviously a single coil isn't going to do it.

I prefer a humbucker for metal and I prefer a single coil for blues. Am I wrong?

He wants an hss strat. So really he'd still have a bridge pup for the beefier metal tones.

If that's what you want, go for it. Tone is subjective, and I've seen metalcore guitarists use fenders before and they had awesome tone. The guitarist of Stray From The Path is endorsed by fender and has a custom tele, but it still has single coils. His tone was sweet when I saw them last month. Any guitar can play any genre well enough, and actives are not required to play metal. I have emgs in my LTD but recently put some passive dimarzios in my schecter and now it's my go to guitar.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you like it, you won't be dissapointed.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Every song on my profile was recorded with a Stratocaster with either Lace Sensor Golds or Texas Specials.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yes, it would work, but i would like to point out that TS said he would be playing metalcore. Killswitch Engage and Iron Maiden have much different tones, so Iron Maiden is not a good example for the type of metal he wants to play. I know Atreyu used JCM 900s for awhile so it can do some of the lighter stuff in metalcore. It might be able to get to the level you want with a boost and an EQ pedal in front of it

also, +1 on the Charvels if you like the neck shape
Maybe you could find an old Fender HM Start:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
wow. thanks for the comments, just got around to checking this.

It seems like everyone supports the idea of putting hot/active pups in an HSS strat, so ill probably end up doing that. (charvel was mentioned and those guitars seemed to slip my mind, played one before and it ruled, they have single coils for some cool low end stuff too, which was part of the appeal of a strat for me). So its down to those two.

Probably going to stay away from EMG's for one HUGE reason. I probably should have been more clear earlier, the style of "metal/metalcore" I play involves more odd time signatures than normal ones and moves extremely fast at times, making it easy for my tone to get saturated. That's actually one of the main reasons a strat intrigued me. They seem like they will have good clarity, even with overdrive. A lot of metallic distortion isn't something I'm looking for, basically I want a clear, overdriven tone that can still be heavy and do chugs.... if that makes sense
I think that's a good place to ask.

I want to customise my old rusty strat with new pickups and a new bridge. I play mostly metal, hard rock, lot of lead guitar. (From Children of Bodom to Satriani, passing by Metallica, etc.) I want high output, I'd like it to be versatile, sound heavy and have a great clean, good mid tones.

I'd like to know your opinion about my choices for the pups.

In a HHS setup:

Bridge Position

I was thinking about:
- Bill Lawrence L-500XL
or
- EMGHZ-H4
(Don't have place for active pups and I'd prefer not to pay for woodcutting :P)

Middle Position

Maybe:
- Fender Hot Noiseless
or
- Seymour Duncan Hot Rail SHR1

Neck Position

I was thinking about:
- Bare Knuckle Trilogy
or
- Kent Armstrong HR1R

I know, it's gonna be a mutant strat, but what do you think would be the best combination? What do you think about these pickups? Or maybe should I buy a new one rather than customising this one? (But I find customising more interesting than buying something anybody could have).

I actually got a Fender Champion as Amp.

Ho! And by the way I know nothing about bridges... what's good or not for a strat, how much it could cost for someting decent. If you got any advice, that would be great!

Thanks!
Quote by Zachey

I want to customise my old rusty strat with new pickups and a new bridge. I play mostly metal, hard rock, lot of lead guitar. (From Children of Bodom to Satriani, passing by Metallica, etc.) I want high output, I'd like it to be versatile, sound heavy and have a great clean, good mid tones.

In a HHS setup:

Bridge Position

I was thinking about:
- Bill Lawrence L-500XL
or
- EMGHZ-H4

Middle Position

Maybe:
- Fender Hot Noiseless
or

Neck Position

I was thinking about:
- Bare Knuckle Trilogy
or
- Kent Armstrong HR1R

I know, it's gonna be a mutant strat, but what do you think would be the best combination? What do you think about these pickups? Or maybe should I buy a new one rather than customising this one? (But I find customising more interesting than buying something anybody could have).

Ho! And by the way I know nothing about bridges... what's good or not for a strat, how much it could cost for someting decent. If you got any advice, that would be great!

Thanks!

I like the SD JB jr for the bridge position.
Quote by Zachey

In a HHS setup:

Bridge Position

I was thinking about:
- Bill Lawrence L-500XL
or
- EMGHZ-H4

Middle Position

Maybe:
- Fender Hot Noiseless
or

Neck Position

I was thinking about:
- Bare Knuckle Trilogy
or
- Kent Armstrong HR1R

Thanks!

I gotta say, if you want a nice mid tone from your bridge pickup, i'd pick up a dimarzio crunch lab. Just installed one in my schecter and it's perfect for nice middy metal tones but it cleans up very well too
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Strats can do metal. It's all preference. Dark Tranquillity's previous guitarist used a strat.
To be honest I wish I had a Strat for variety in guitar tone.
Quote by will42
may i have your attention please
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats&sub=contemporary&pickup=the_sinner

voila
also if you are set on HSS look at the HSS sets that bkp offers.

took long enough!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If you want heavy metal sounds from the guitar, then a Fender HSS 'Fat Strat' Stratocaster would be good for you. There is also a Floyd Rose-equipped version on the market you can easily find.
Quote by SSaxdude
Well there's the Blacktop Stratocaster, which is pretty cheap as far as Fender Strats go and it has two humbuckers.

Thought about the same.

i have dimebucker in there and sounds great. All you need is a decent humbucker in there and a good amp and you can play any type of metal. I have an older strat with seymour duncan distortion pickups in it and it sounds good too. But i do think the dimebucker has a little bit more bite.
Quote by andyhatescrass
Probably going to stay away from EMG's for one HUGE reason. I probably should have been more clear earlier, the style of "metal/metalcore" I play involves more odd time signatures than normal ones and moves extremely fast at times, making it easy for my tone to get saturated. That's actually one of the main reasons a strat intrigued me. They seem like they will have good clarity, even with overdrive. A lot of metallic distortion isn't something I'm looking for, basically I want a clear, overdriven tone that can still be heavy and do chugs.... if that makes sense

For a metal strat I would go with the Jim Root Strat, because you can really control the natural gain of the EMGs to do what you want. But if you really are set against EMGs then do consider getting an American HSH Strat and slapping Bareknuckles in there because that combination would give you the tone you want.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Page 1 of 2