I was looking for a mic to record electric guitar and bass, acoustic guitar, and (male and female) vocals, and came across these two.

The Apex 460 is a large diaphragm tube that has a contentious reputation online and is well regarded as a really nice mic after an upgrade. If I got this one, I can't afford the mod but I was going to swap the tube with a 12ay7 for more headroom (it comes with an ax7 i believe). I can get it for about $220.

The Audio Technica 2041 is a set of the AT2020 and AT2021, large and small diaphragm mics, respectively. I've heard good things about them as budget mics and a friend has one and is happy with it. I can get them for about $150.

Basically my question is, I was wondering if it was worth the extra $100 over the AT as a stock mic, or if it's not worth the buy unless I was going to upgrade it and just go with the AT mics?

Thanks a lot, I'm a bit of a beginner in terms of microphones and recording equipment.
███████████████████████████████████
Go used and get a AT4040. As good as the Apex, if not better, much better than the AT 20 series and the same price as the 2041 set.

I also wouldn't get a tube mic as your only mic, but maybe that's just me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 17, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Go used and get a AT4040. As good as the Apex, if not better, much better than the AT 20 series and the same price as the 2041 set.

I also wouldn't get a tube mic as your only mic, but maybe that's just me

Can you explain why that is (about the tube mic)? Sorry I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Also, how much of an advantage of it is it to have multiple mics, for stereo recording and blending sound and that? That was one thing I thought would be nice having the set.
Last edited by tona_107 at Oct 17, 2011,
Quote by tona_107
Can you explain why that is (about the tube mic)? Sorry I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Also, how much of an advantage of it is it to have multiple mics, for stereo recording and blending sound and that? That was one thing I thought would be nice having the set.

A tube mic will color the tone, in a way that might not be very desirable for all circumstances, which doesn't necessarily make them super versatile. You might find that you absolutely love it for some circumstances, and hate it for others. Then again, you might just love it for everything, but it's really more of a gamble having one as your only mic, I'm sure you'll find sooner or later, you'll want something a bit different.

Multiple mics is definitely good, but it depends on what you're doing. For acoustic, a small diaphragm condenser (like the AT2021 included in the 2041 pack) is a great pair with a large diaphragm condenser (AT4040 - The 2020 is not an LDC). However, you may or may not find that you like that combination in other situations. Two of the same LDCs or SDCs are often used as a stereo pair for drum overheads.

In general, dynamic mics are used more so on electric guitar than condensers are (not to say you can't get great results with a condenser), and a pair of SM57s sound great on a guitar cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 17, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
A tube mic will color the tone, in a way that might not be very desirable for all circumstances, which doesn't necessarily make them super versatile. You might find that you absolutely love it for some circumstances, and hate it for others. Then again, you might just love it for everything, but it's really more of a gamble having one as your only mic, I'm sure you'll find sooner or later, you'll want something a bit different.

Multiple mics is definitely good, but it depends on what you're doing. For acoustic, a small diaphragm condenser (like the AT2021 included in the 2041 pack) is a great pair with a large diaphragm condenser (AT4040 - The 2020 is not an LDC). However, you may or may not find that you like that combination in other situations. Two of the same LDCs or SDCs are often used as a stereo pair for drum overheads.

In general, dynamic mics are used more so on electric guitar than condensers are (not to say you can't get great results with a condenser), and a pair of SM57s sound great on a guitar cab.

Wow thanks so much for all the input.

Do you still think that a 4040 is my best bet for the applications I mentioned earlier (acoustic guitar, electric and bass guitar, male/female vocals), or would I be better off getting an SM57? As I understand it, the SM57 is a dynamic mic used mostly for instrumentation... So would I be better of getting a 57 for the instrumentation I mentioned and a 58 for the vocal applications? As far as I understand that would be in about the price range I was looking at.

Thanks again for your help already.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting my mic setup together?
Quote by tona_107
Wow thanks so much for all the input.

Do you still think that a 4040 is my best bet for the applications I mentioned earlier (acoustic guitar, electric and bass guitar, male/female vocals), or would I be better off getting an SM57? As I understand it, the SM57 is a dynamic mic used mostly for instrumentation... So would I be better of getting a 57 for the instrumentation I mentioned and a 58 for the vocal applications? As far as I understand that would be in about the price range I was looking at.

Thanks again for your help already.

The SM58 is the same mic as the 57, just with a different wind screen attached to it (take off the grille of the 58 and it sounds exactly the same as the 57 for an instrument mic).

Since you can get the AT4040 for ~$150 used, you should be able to pick up an SM57 or SM58 for recording instruments for ~$60, and come out around the same price as the Apex 460 you were looking at and have a pretty nice setup for acoustic/vocals (AT4040) and electric guitar (SM57/58). I'd suggest you just DI the bass and run some amp simulation over it for the most controlled results. Alternatively, you could do the same for guitar (DI), and wait till you have more expendable money to buy a condenser mic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
The SM58 is the same mic as the 57, just with a different wind screen attached to it (take off the grille of the 58 and it sounds exactly the same as the 57 for an instrument mic).

Since you can get the AT4040 for ~$150 used, you should be able to pick up an SM57 or SM58 for recording instruments for ~$60, and come out around the same price as the Apex 460 you were looking at and have a pretty nice setup for acoustic/vocals (AT4040) and electric guitar (SM57/58). I'd suggest you just DI the bass and run some amp simulation over it for the most controlled results. Alternatively, you could do the same for guitar (DI), and wait till you have more expendable money to buy a condenser mic.

I would have thought that using a line out from my amp directly to my mixer would be the best way to do bass? Also, mic'ing bass cabs with a 57 would be no dice?

Also, thanks again for all your help.
Quote by tona_107
I would have thought that using a line out from my amp directly to my mixer would be the best way to do bass? Also, mic'ing bass cabs with a 57 would be no dice?

Also, thanks again for all your help.

Not necessarily. I mean, if you end up liking the sound of it coming out of the amp, then by all means, go for it, but with a DI, you'll be able to change all your amp settings, distortion levels, etc. later.

The SM57 will do ok on bass, but it really doesn't have the frequency response to be able to pick up the full lowend of a bass amp accurately, so a lot of EQing will most likely need to be done. Usually, bass drum mics are used for bass amps, because they are designed to cover the lowend much better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com