Ibanez SR505
Crafter Cruiser Jazz Bass

Things I'd like

Fender Jazz
Pre-EB Stingray

Sansamp Driver

Rackmount Tuner

16-band EQ

I really don't know which to look into first - I gig faairly regularly with a covers band so am using this stuff often, and would find any of these bits of kit a massive improvement on my current set up, but obviously some of this stuff is classic GAS

tl;dr
In what order did you guys get your stuff when you built up your rig?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Whatever i could afford at the time. Still saving up for an ampeg svt 810 and svtcl
NO NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Personally, out of your list, i'd get the driver or the jazz.

I have a Korg DTR-1000 racktuner, but imo they're only worth it if you REALLY want it. I got lucky and paid $160 for it in good condition, but unfortunately, they usually sell for a bit higher than that.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Personally, out of your list, i'd get the driver or the jazz.

I have a Korg DTR-1000 racktuner, but imo they're only worth it if you REALLY want it. I got lucky and paid $160 for it in good condition, but unfortunately, they usually sell for a bit higher than that.

I do tend to think a new bass would vastly speed up my technique improvement. If I did get a jazz, I would definitely want an MIA deluxe/ something of quality.

Anything not on my list that you'd recommend?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Jake the Peg
I do tend to think a new bass would vastly speed up my technique improvement. If I did get a jazz, I would definitely want an MIA deluxe/ something of quality.

Anything not on my list that you'd recommend?

Do you have a budget and or willing to go used? If so, getting a deluxe jazz can be had for about a grand or less.

I have a fairly simple set-up, so maybe you'd like keeping your cables clean by getting a power conditioner. It saves the hassle of having a thousand of things plugged into a wall as well as serving as a power surge.

You might want a personal 1 or 2 channel compressor, but i've had experiences with these and they're good if you know what you're doing with it, but they're really not that necessary (to have your own).

The only reason I didnt vote for the EQ is because I can get by using a small 9-band graphic EQ. You might want to look for a Sansamp RBI for a nice portable EQ that you can use on a P.A if you ever needed it.
pinga
well, I'm living with the family still (I'm 18), not paying huge board, and working a 20hpw job in retail. I don't have any savings whatsoever but I'm getting £400 quid pocket money a month without much thought as to what to spend it on. Driving Lessons is one, I recently got the 410 cab, and the first load of new clothes since before I started college 2 years ago. I've now finished college and am looking to start taking this bass shit seriously... I'm also looking into building a (very) basic home studio in my room.
Sooo I'm in a position at the minute where I can work a lot and not be constantly paying rent, income tax, or buying loads of food or petrol, so I guessed now would be the time to make some big investments while I can...
Quote by Jake the Peg
well, I'm living with the family still (I'm 18), not paying huge board, and working a 20hpw job in retail. I don't have any savings whatsoever but I'm getting £400 quid pocket money a month without much thought as to what to spend it on. Driving Lessons is one, I recently got the 410 cab, and the first load of new clothes since before I started college 2 years ago. I've now finished college and am looking to start taking this bass shit seriously... I'm also looking into building a (very) basic home studio in my room.
Sooo I'm in a position at the minute where I can work a lot and not be constantly paying rent, income tax, or buying loads of food or petrol, so I guessed now would be the time to make some big investments while I can...

Having a job is better than having none at all

Just make a plan, and save up for the things that are most important to you. Try looking for layaway deals, or finding used gear. not sure how it works for you, but zzounds.com lets you pay things $200 or more off in 4 months with no added interest.
pinga
Idk what that bass you have is, but a nice new one would be good. EQ's and Compressors, Sansamps, are good but not necessary. As they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". You're rig is already pretty good, most people buy the bass driver to mimic an Ampeg, and an EQ is great on amps especially older ones that usually feature only bass and treble, or cheaper amps.

As for the tuner, rackmounts are nice, but big, and expensive. If you don't have a rack, it's not worth creating one to fit it. I have a GFS tuner pedal, it's small super bright, and you can still face the audience while using it, and it's only $40 excluding shipping. I'd say if you got a good overdrive/dist/fuzz and a few other good pedals, you could keep your rig as is, and have a good pedal board and bass.
My votes for the Stingray. By far the best looking out of the things you want to get.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Honestly, while bass stuff is great, concentrate on getting that driver's license. I didn't get mine until this August past, I'm 20 and once I finally got it I was massively regretting not getting it when I was 18.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Do you need a sansamp driver if you have an ampeg amp already? Isnt that redundant since its mostly to copy the ampeg tone? Just asking...

I do have the fender jazz with the new ampeg PF350 amp with 210 speakers and find I dont use my sansamp bass driver anymore. Am I just still too in love with the tone?

btw, get the fender jazz first, its epic.
^^^^

bastard stole my nickname
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^^^^

bastard stole my nickname

I'm coming for your e-wife next!
Honestly i'd get a tuner pedal then the jazz. The driver would be knocked off the list since you have an SVT.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
I'd go power conditioner->tuner->EQ because those directly help your live performance. The basses would be nice, but since you perform, it would be best to get the $500 of little things out of the way before going for the $1000+ basses. The bass driver, as said above, doesn't seem necessary with an SVT already in your position.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
okay its seems a pretty unanimous -1 to the sansamp :L
power conditioner->tuner->EQ

the conditioner would be to protect the amp? This is pretty much the first time I've heard of them, did a google and I think they look like a good idea.
I already have a simple battery op plug-in tuner but obviously it's very impractical to use that kind of thing onstage.
Cheers for all your guidance so far everyone, really grateful to you for letting me sponge on your collective experiences!
Quote by Jake the Peg

I already have a simple battery op plug-in tuner but obviously it's very impractical to use that kind of thing onstage.

There are pedal tuners... they are decent price and a great value that's what we were suggesting a rack mounts just more money for not much more benefit.

Most of the gear you chose is rendered pointless by you're existing gear, no doubt it's fun to buy gear, but when you have a great ampeg amp why mask it with an ampeg emulator and a huge multi-band EQ? A new bass, different head or maybe a nice 1x15 would be good.

Edit: but drive and get a car first!
Last edited by askrere at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by askrere
There are pedal tuners... they are decent price and a great value that's what we were suggesting a rack mounts just more money for not much more benefit.

Rack tuners are like, $160 for a solid korg. Pedal tuners aren't that much cheaper, and it saves space on the pedalboard. Plus, why even get a power conditioner if you're running everything through pedals? It loses some of its point.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
Rack tuners are like, $160 for a solid korg. Pedal tuners aren't that much cheaper

Ummm no? A new TU-2 is less than a hundred, same with the korg pitch black.
I own a GFS tuner it was $35, and has a bigger brighter screen than either, and costs a third as much. There's always used.