I've been told at my church that the sound man wants to box in my guitar amp to reduce stage volume and to have more control over the sound when miking. The downside to this is I won't have direct access to my amp settings while playing, only pedals. He recommended that I get the Orange Tiny Terror amp head to take control.

Are there alternatives to this problem with stage volume? Or should I go ahead and find some other means of controlling my amp from outside the box? I don't know anyone else who boxes their amp so I'm a little skeptical, and I've also never used a stack or amp head. Need help.
One other alternative is to always turn your current amp down some. What amp do you currently use?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
As far as I'm aware people who do this usually have a separate head and cab, placing the cab in the box and calling it an isocab, as it's isolated from everything else. This means that other sound doesn't bleed into the microphone that's picking up your guitar as well as stopping you're volume overflowing into everything else. So there are benefits but obviously with a head and cab you can have the speaker cabinet in the box and the head out of it, within reach to make adjustments and such.
As for buying a new head it really depends what you want in terms of sounds and features etc.
i wouldn't buy a new amp just because your sound guy wants you to, thats stupid. just turn your amp down.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Tell your sound guy to stop sucking.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

This. You don't need a sound guy if you just put everyone's amp in a box and let the singer sing backstage. Then all you have to do is fiddle with the little knobs till the mix sounds good.

Or just put the sound guy in a box and let him know how it feels.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Or just put the sound guy in a box and let him know how it feels.

possibly sigged
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
I wouldnt put much stock into what hes telling you to do. Having worked with many church sound guys I can pretty much tell you the vast majority just dont know what they are doing. Just turn your amp down or whatever. Do not get a new amp because he wants you to. If he wants you to get a new amp tell him to buy you a new amp.
Last edited by guitarpatrick66 at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92

It's not always that easy. My little Yamaha GA-10 that I modded to hell and back overpowers the 3000 watt PA system we have, not because it's more powerful, but because it cuts through the mix so well, and we have horrible acoustics in our building. Sometimes a isolation box is necessary, like what I have been doing.

It's also useful for keeping unwanted sounds out of the channel, so you can mix the guitar with more clarity into the mix, without the drums and other things being picked up by a mic, since it is very loud on stage. It's more beneficial than a hindrance, if you can access your amp that is.
Build yourself a little plexiglass shield to go in front of your amp, just two hinged sheets of clear plastic in a v- shape. Joie Bonamassa uses them to great effect: img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/peterreid/IMG_20090804_0311.jpg

What amp are you using anyway?
just set your amp the way you like it then don't mess with the controls?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Although it is kinda a pain (and brings more variables into the mix), it can help a ton to have your amp on stage, and it can be a minimal issue with a good sound guy and a good monitor (contrary to what some people are saying here). If anything, a good sound guy is more likely to want to do this. Anyways. Depending on your amp, I would say

1. Get a small cab (1x12 if possible) and keep that backstage/in a box/whatever, and have your amp on stage with you
2.The plexi glass idea listed above could work well (it works for drums anyways)
3. If absolute worst comes to worse, you could look at getting some kind of amp simulator. I know a guy who kept his pedalboard, but got a cheap Digitech RP unit as his "amp" for live situations, and it worked out great.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Tech 21 Character pedals are great for ampless, stright to the board situations. The more expensive multi fx are great running into the board nowadays.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Tech 21 Character pedals are great for ampless, stright to the board situations. The more expensive multi fx are great running into the board nowadays.

+1, forgot about this option.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=tech+21+character
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
You can also turn the amp down to a volume that's perfect for you, and then run a DI box that fits in between the speaker and the speaker out, and run that di to the board.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Tell him you had a dream, and in this dream God spoke to you and said, "And on the 8th day, I created RAWK! So tell that dumbass sound guy to shove it, shut it, and deal with it. That's what those little sliders on the mixing table is god. Me damn."
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
My amp is a Vox Valvetronix AD 50 VT, 50w. Its a great amp, but i have to reset the settings everytime i turn it back on, cuz it has this weird tube sound when its turned back on.

The plexiglass sheet sounded like a good idea. We used to have our drummer behind one of those.

I appreciate all the help btw everyone.
Quote by Reincaster
You can also turn the amp down to a volume that's perfect for you, and then run a DI box that fits in between the speaker and the speaker out, and run that di to the board.

Only if you feel like frying a channel on the board. DI box's are not meant to go inbetween your speaker and amp, they are a line level device, especially when used with PA systems, frying a $1000 mixer board is not even worth it.

Plus, you need speaker emulation, which your speaker out does not give you.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Only if you feel like frying a channel on the board. DI box's are not meant to go inbetween your speaker and amp, they are a line level device, especially when used with PA systems, frying a $1000 mixer board is not even worth it.

Plus, you need speaker emulation, which your speaker out does not give you.

The H&K redbox (and some other DI's) goes IN BETWEEN the speaker and the amp. When I said get a di that fits in between the speaker and the amp, I meant to get one that's designed for that purpose.

Most DI's that you buy have speaker emulation, especially if it's for guitar. at least, the ampeg tube dI and the common quantum blackbox thing do.

Look on the right of the device. What does it say? "FROM SPEAKER OUTPUT" and "TO SPEAKER.

Some more:

I think the common thing here is that they are active DI's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by Reincaster
The H&K redbox (and some other DI's) goes IN BETWEEN the speaker and the amp. When I said get a di that fits in between the speaker and the amp, I meant to get one that's designed for that purpose.

Most DI's that you buy have speaker emulation, especially if it's for guitar. at least, the ampeg tube dI and the common quantum blackbox thing do.

Look on the right of the device. What does it say? "FROM SPEAKER OUTPUT" and "TO SPEAKER.

Some more:

I think the common thing here is that they are active DI's.

Churches aren't going to have DI boxes like that. I have yet to see any like that. Most DI boxes I see with PA systems are passive DI boxes, mainly for converting 1/4th to a line level XLR.

The big one around here are the Whirlwind DI boxes, cheap, and pretty decent.
Who said anything about the church having one? I said the TS should get one.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12