I've wondering if it's worth it to upgrade my Squier's pickups. I'm considering replacing the bridge humbucker with a Dimarzio x2n or something like that, and replacing the single coils with ones that actually sound good. But all of that will probably cost half as much as a fender. So is it worth it? Or am I better off just getting a used Fender Strat somewhere?
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
depends on wether you want to get a new guitar or not really. If you like your squier, upgrade the pickups, if you think you'd like something else better, then get something else. Guitars are very personal things.
Well if you're happy with the Squire, you could just buy the pups, keep them on the Squire and when you upgrade guitars just change the pickups.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
If you enjoy the Squire then keep it by all means, it will cost you less to upgrade your pickups then to buy a whole new guitar. My next purchase is going to be a Squire Tele if I cant score a Fender at a reasonable price!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by droppedmybrain
depends on wether you want to get a new guitar or not really. If you like your squier, upgrade the pickups, if you think you'd like something else better, then get something else. Guitars are very personal things.

I wouldn't mind having another guitar laying around. I don't mind the Squier, but I'd probably like something else better. But I don't really need another guitar as I'm already planning on buying another guitar, and I'm not made of money.
Quote by Diamond Dave

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
try some fender strats if you haven't already. then decide.

personally, i'd go for a mexican strat or a usa model if you could stretch that far rather than upgrading the squier. it's not just the pickups that make the difference.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
try some fender strats if you haven't already. then decide.

personally, i'd go for a mexican strat or a usa model if you could stretch that far rather than upgrading the squier. it's not just the pickups that make the difference.

I'm not that rich. I'd rather have a USA strat then a Squier too, but some of us don't have real jobs and don't have a huge amount of cash on hand. If I was to get a fender, It would be a cheap used one. $200-350 if I could find one. I'll probably upgrade the pickups after I check a music store that has a lot of strats, just to make sure that there's not a good guitar out there in my price range.
Quote by Diamond Dave

you can find MIM fenders in that price range easily.

really the only thing I don't like about squiers is the neck, but that's an easy replacement.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Get a MIJ or MIA Fender with 3 single coils. Humbuckers are terrible.
You could buy a new guitar and then keep the Squier with the intent of adding some better electronics in the future. Perhaps get a MIJ or MIM Fender Strat for a single coil sound and then add some single size humbuckers to the Squier so its something different? GFS makes some decent Hot Rail clones for an affordable price.
Quote by Buxom
Humbuckers are terrible.

look at my username and take a wild guess at what I play. Humbuckers are more suited for that then single coils.
Quote by Diamond Dave