so i was playing "scream" and my e string popped off the nut. the string didn't snap and the nut looks intact, but it won't go back on and stay x.x do i just have to go get a new nut made, or can i fix this myself?
Hmmm...are you playing a Dean per chance? My ML had that problem really bad, and nobody else I know ever had that happen to them. xD What I did was take a nailfile to it, don't overdo it though or you could mess up your nut and when you play open notes you'll just get a buzzy variant on the 1st-fret tone(I fixed this with woodglue...Dad was hell-bent on not buying a new nut. xD), and you'll need to order in a new nut. You can get a new nut, but I'm pretty sure it's got to do with the string tension, not the nut's design.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Sounds like the nut slots are too shallow to hold the string, if you can't do like big bends without the string slipping out, the nut is too small, and the slits arn't deep enough.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
you dont need a new nut just file the one you already have on there to make the slot deeper.
I'm playing a Jackson Kelly and using EB Hybrid Slinky strings. I've been using the nut for about a year at least, it just randomly popped out and won't go back in :/
Quote by damage_inc07
you dont need a new nut just file the one you already have on there to make the slot deeper.

Too bad he'll have ridiculous amount of buzz on the open strings on the first frets.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by gunsnroses#1
I'm playing a Jackson Kelly and using EB Hybrid Slinky strings. I've been using the nut for about a year at least, it just randomly popped out and won't go back in :/

Can you clarify something for me? Did the nut come off of your guitar or did the string just pop out of the nut?
Quote by Tango616

Too bad he'll have ridiculous amount of buzz on the open strings on the first frets.

Not if he's careful, man. I did it 4 different times with my ML, and that only happened once(and that time I used a steak knife, not a nailfile). xD It's a little risky but it works.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
Not if he's careful, man. I did it 4 different times with my ML, and that only happened once(and that time I used a steak knife, not a nailfile). xD It's a little risky but it works.

Yeah but you can only go so deep, and his nut might already be pretty low, especially if his action is where he likes it, and the nut is too shallow, if he goes too far, then he WILL **** over his nut.
ಠ_ಠ