So I was playing today and the sound on my amp randomly cut out for about 5 seconds and then came back. I kind of freaked out. I shut it off, and then a couple minutes later I plugged it back in and started playing and it did it again. I thought it might be the power strip it was plugged into, so I tried plugging it straight into the wall, but the same thing happened so I stopped using it altogether for the moment. It doesn't cut out completely, the volume just SEVERELY lowers.

If anybody knows what might be wrong, help would be greatly appreciated. It's a 2x12 Marshall JVM 205C combo.
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Quote by monwobobbo
most likely a power tube is going.

Are you sure? I haven't had the amp very long and I don't play at extreme volumes.
GEAR
Squier Strat

Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
are you sure it's the amp and not something like a guitar cord, dirty pick-up selector switch, bad input jack.... What makes you think it's the amp?
Quote by SWilson
are you sure it's the amp and not something like a guitar cord, dirty pick-up selector switch, bad input jack.... What makes you think it's the amp?

I tried it with different cables, the pickup switch is clean as a whistle, and there's nothing wrong with the input jack
GEAR
Squier Strat

Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
i had the same problem with my vox ac30, it turns out it was my guitar cable. it was badly taken care of or i might have rolled a chair over it or something. buy a new cable and check again. my vox was also only a month old so i was very worried but i tried out using my cheaper unused cables and it was fixed. i got more expensive ones afterwards.

so just check your cable.
Quote by ac/dcfan5000
Are you sure? I haven't had the amp very long and I don't play at extreme volumes.

the tube may have been bad to begin with it happens. as the other guy mentioned i'd check the chords and jacks on the amp and guitar but i think it's a tube. just an educated guess though.
When it cuts out do the power lights on the amp go out or does it just lose volume?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by itamar100
i had the same problem with my vox ac30, it turns out it was my guitar cable. it was badly taken care of or i might have rolled a chair over it or something. buy a new cable and check again. my vox was also only a month old so i was very worried but i tried out using my cheaper unused cables and it was fixed. i got more expensive ones afterwards.

so just check your cable.

It's not the cable. I tried the amp with different cables, and my cables still work through a different amp
GEAR
Squier Strat

Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Valves can often shake loose during transit and that can cause an intermittent fault like you are describing. Pull the valves out and plug them back in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
When it cuts out do the power lights on the amp go out or does it just lose volume?

it just loses volume, the lights stay on
GEAR
Squier Strat

Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Quote by ac/dcfan5000

Then my previous recommendation holds. Pull out the tubes and plug them back in. One is probably loose, happens all the time on new amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Then my previous recommendation holds. Pull out the tubes and plug them back in. One is probably loose, happens all the time on new amps.

I love you people for getting it right. And I love Cathbard for his amps.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I love you people for getting it right. And I love Cathbard for his amps.

Thanks guys I'll try this when I'm back around my amp

EDIT: Cathbard does have some sweet amps
GEAR
Squier Strat

Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C