There is a music store on Ebay thats selling all different kinds of USA dean guitars as new but the USA logo on the back of the headstocks aren't carved into the wood like the higher priced deans ,they're just a sticker. Are these fake or from a different plant or something?He is selling them as new but I know, some of them have been discontinued for a while. Was there a run of Dean guitars made in the USA recently?
Last edited by wigmanite at Oct 17, 2011,
Every USA Dean should have the "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the headstock along with the serial number. I've never seen or heard of one that had a sticker on the back instead of the stamp. What's the company on eBay you're talking about? I just looked and couldn't find what you're talking about.

Dean currently produces guitars in China, Korea, and the USA on a regular everyday basis.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
STREETSOUNDS NYC
This is the store on ebay
Maintained by:rockystreetsounds ( 7898)
STREET SOUNDS ESTABLISHED IN 1988 IS THE LARGEST AUTHORIZED GRETSCH® DEALER IN THE U.S. WE ARE ALSO AUTHORIZED DEALERS OF: FENDER®,GUILD®,CHARVEL®,AMPEG,JACKSON®,EMG,EVH®,SWR®,CRATE,AND SO MUCH MORE WE REMAIN SECOND TO NONE FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE SHOP AND ON THE NET 718-680-7946 The owner told me that the guitars were nos and to check the serial numbers that they came straight from the factory.I don't know what nos means.
Last edited by wigmanite at Oct 18, 2011,
I checked out a few of the guitars he had for sale and didn't see the sticker you're talking about? The seller has a few Korean Deans in the mix but I didn't check them out, maybe you're confusing the two?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Every USA Dean should have the "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the headstock along with the serial number. I've never seen or heard of one that had a sticker on the back instead of the stamp. What's the company on eBay you're talking about? I just looked and couldn't find what you're talking about.

Dean currently produces guitars in China, Korea, and the USA on a regular everyday basis.

Yeah the USA Deans I have seen had the stamp but these don't.Check them out and let me know what you think.I'm not trying to dog the guy out I was thinking about buying one of them.USA Deans new for less than $2000.00 is a good deal if they are legit.
If you want PM me a link to one of the guitars you're questioning and I'll look at it
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Spartan101400
There have been several runs of Dean USAs this year, custom VMNTs, MLs, the 1000 series, custom Zeros
Yeah but those are on the Dean web site some of these on Ebay are not.I posted the store name so you guys can check it out.
^Might wanna remove that link, a mod could give you a warning for it. Always better to be safe than sorry

Wow that's definitely new to me, it seems like the One Thousand series is the only ones out with that style of marking. I looked up other One Thousand's and they look like that as well, so the guitar and seller both seem alright to me.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Thanks Flux'D.The guy said they were nos which means NEW OLD STOCK.He does have some nice and different Deans in stock.Thanks again for your help.
I'd never pay that for a Dean, but thats just me. Knock off $1000 the $1400 and you'd still be over paying IMO.

I must say it looks 10000000 times better than any of the Dime models tough. Those are just ugly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a dean icon I believe it to be a 97 the serial number is 97 I 17 it is stamped into the last fret by the body and no one in dean knows where it was made but say it looks to be either a protype with the 97 being the year the I for icon and 17 for the 17th made and another dean guy said it might be an employee guitar made by an employee for himself but no one knows for sure..its an awesome color purple quilted maple top almost 3/8 in thick, it has a dense grained ebony fretboard with abalone dot inlays. the original pups were changed out to a matched set of gibson classic 57's the original pots and switches are cts pots and switchcraft toggle switch and output jack quality and workmanship are on par with high end guitars...just dont know where it was made any ideas or has anyone seen one with a serial number on the last fret and no other stamps or numbers any where else except the dean name written on the headstock under the finish..any one ?? I have 2 more pictures in my profile I believe too
Attachments:
iconsernum.jpg
protoICON.jpg
icon 001.JPG
This is my guitar
There are many like it but this one is mine
My guitar is my best friend it is my life
I must master it as I master my life
My guitar without me is useless
Without my guitar I am useless
Last edited by camara53 at Oct 20, 2011,
Thread jacking isn't viewed in the best light here...

If the serial is stamped on the fretboard it's a "Tropical Dean" from the 90's, I'm not sure how to interpret these serial numbers and I don't think there was a standard method of numbering them apart from the first 2 digits anyways. Yes it is a 1997 model

Dean did a bunch of short runs of guitars with odd colors, hardware, etc so it's hard to tell where yours came from. If it doesn't have a "Made in USA" stamp on it somewhere then it was made overseas, most likely in Korea. I could be mistaken about the USA stamp on the Tropical-era Deans but every USA instrument I've seen had the USA stamp clearly marked on it, usually behind the headstock.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Thread jacking isn't viewed in the best light here...

sorry didnt mean to threadjack I stand corrected.

If the serial is stamped on the fretboard it's a "Tropical Dean" from the 90's, I'm not sure how to interpret these serial numbers and I don't think there was a standard method of numbering them apart from the first 2 digits anyways. Yes it is a 1997 model

Dean did a bunch of short runs of guitars with odd colors, hardware, etc so it's hard to tell where yours came from. If it doesn't have a "Made in USA" stamp on it somewhere then it was made overseas, most likely in Korea. I could be mistaken about the USA stamp on the Tropical-era Deans but every USA instrument I've seen had the USA stamp clearly marked on it, usually behind the headstock.

thank you so much ...wow never heard of tropical deans..ya live and learn,,I need more info about the serial number and place of manufacture tho....bill
This is my guitar
Last edited by camara53 at Oct 20, 2011,
"I told you that the guitar is real and there are several people here that can confirm it. There is a serial number and it is stamped into the last fret just like every other Tropical USA guitar"

I quoted this from a guy at the dean forum who was selling a tropical dean on ebay years ago..according to him only tropical deans have the serial number stamped on the last fret and all tropical deans are made in the usa....alright I am even happier ..I got this for $100 dollars from a woman whose boyfriend did her wrong and left it at her house ..she just wanted it gone...what a score....
This is my guitar
Correction: Most Tropical Deans were imports, few were built in the United States. A good portion of the imports were built under Samick in Korea and were very hit-and-miss with most requiring fretwork straight outta the box. <- I found all this out earlier today digging in the Dean Forums, I never knew much about Tropical-era Deans since they are generally to be avoided. That's not saying there were awesome Tropical Deans, the majority of them weren't.

Yes, only Tropical-era Deans have the serial stamped on the fretboard.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60