I am currently using a mesa/boogie dc-5 head. some of our fans are complaining that its hard to understand our guitar parts because the distortion makes is messy/muddy. would getting a dual rectifier help or would i have the same problem even with new tubes? or should i switch to a 6505+ like my other guitarist is going to get?

also keep in mind we will be recoding with these same amps as well. would we be ok with 2 of the same amp or would the 2 different amps help.

ps our music can get heavy (norma jean, botch, don the reader) but can also be lighter (defeater, mewithoutyou (a-b life))
turn down the gain???

try boosting it with a tubescreamer AND turn down the gain?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah turn the gain down.

Buy a TS9.

And an EQ.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
First port of call would be to, yes, turn down the gain. Work this out so you don't QUITE get that wonderful searing amount of high gain, but JUST above the point where your tone starts to change.
Disregard the *CHUNK CHUNK* sound of high gain cascades, try to pull that more from your picking.

If its sounding MUDDY, try turning down the bass, leave the low end to your bass player and don't crossover to his frequencies, you'll still be perfectly audible and sound good if you base your tone in the lower-mids and upwards.

Next guess would be to boost your mids/chuck them back in. No mids=NO guitar in the mix, its nigh-on sonically impossible for guitars to be prominent with a good amount of mids.

If turning your bass or gain down doesn't help much, buy an EQ pedal to do all of the above and possibly an overdrive pedal (not distortion, there IS a difference) to tighten up your sound and really PUSH your tone while keeping the gain a bit lower on the amp.
A dual rec or a 6505+ is the best answer defiantly.

If you are playing a hi-gain of any kind through a tube head you NEED a tubescreamer. End of story, from a Peavey Valveking to a Mesa Roadking, If it's highain GET A TUBE SCREAMER!

Pull the gain down, and boost with a tube screamer (set at gain pulled all the way down, Volume all the ways up with tone in the middle). If that doesn't work, try an EG pedal in the FX loop. If your gain is above 1 o'clock with the tubescreamer, your doing wrong. In fact you should be goof with the gain around 11 oclock
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
As others have already said, it's likely that you either have too much gain, need to EQ better, or both. The obvious route for removing "mud" is to back off the bass, especially on a warm, boomy mesa amp. And too much gain inherently compresses the signal in a way that removes clarity, so one should learn to be more moderate about it.
some great things to try. thanks for the info. if all else fails i can go for another amp. can you hear the chords on a dual rec as clearly as you can on a 6505+
all solid suggestions so far

assuming you've tweaked and tweaked your current amp and want something different I'd suggest following this format.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

you gave us some of that info but this is more of a 'how do I fix my problem' thread vs a 'i need a new amp thread'.

The Dual Rec, 6505+ and DC5 are all pretty different amps.

But seriously - try the Tubescreamer and/or EQ pedal options first. Chances are - you'll need those anyway moving forward.
Quote by Jaredmkl
A dual rec or a 6505+ is the best answer defiantly.

If you are playing a hi-gain of any kind through a tube head you NEED a tubescreamer. End of story, from a Peavey Valveking to a Mesa Roadking, If it's highain GET A TUBE SCREAMER!

First of all - Getting a Recto will most likely end up with a more muddy tone. The 6505+ is just as clear and tight as the DC-5.

Second - No, you don't NEED a tubescreamer. You need to learn how to EQ.

A TS will help with clarity and tightness, if used correctly, but the DC-5 is a very clear sounding head that should have no problem getting a lot of clarity by itself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lots of great suggestions thus far. Another thing you should definitely consider is EQing your gear with your band playing and not on your own. Often what sounds good when nobody else is playing sounds terrible when the band starts up, and what sounds terrible on your own sounds great when the band is playing.
we have some parts that chug. we need them to sound big. will lowering the gain and the lows make them sound not as big? i guess im worried because the dc-5 isnt as high gain as some of the other amps out there
Quote by tk7261
we have some parts that chug. we need them to sound big. will lowering the gain and the lows make them sound not as big? i guess im worried because the dc-5 isnt as high gain as some of the other amps out there

A lot of the "heaviness" of your guitar tone should be coming from the bass. It's what really fills it in and makes things sound "big."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
could it be the volume we are playing at that is making the parts a bit hard to understand? its a 50 watt head so maybe it doesnt have the headroom i need.
The DC is a nice amp but is more of a Mark sound with a little less gain more than it is a recto. Try diff EQ settings and get a TS type pedal it will work wonders.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate