Hey guys!
I like to dream about gear... Something tells me that you guys do it to...
That being said, im thinking of buying a cheapish (but good!) bass guitar somewhere in the future. I hope to 'mod' it up (not sure if we would all have the same idea of mod but whatever).

Any ideas on basses? I listen to metal and stuff, that being said, im not to good at playing it, so i need a versatile bass that can get me rock aswell.

So far im looking at the 800AUD mark, wont get me far, but whatever.
Possibly a Black Fender Standard Precision.
Might end up putting pickups in it, DR neon strings, Fibre optic fret markers, and a Blacklight light on the headstock on the strings to light them up! That and maybe a baddass bridge..
Edit:black pickgaurd too!

So What would you recomend? What are some projects you have done? What modifications would you like to see?
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Last edited by Cantplay4penuts at Oct 18, 2011,
Personally, I am not a big fan of the Blacktop basses, but if you can go to $825AUD you could have a Fender Standard Precision - great instruments!
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge
Personally, I am not a big fan of the Blacktop basses, but if you can go to $825AUD you could have a Fender Standard Precision - great instruments!

Thats what i meant, a black one of them. I dont mind the blacktop one, but itd rather a black bass, and i can always get a black pickgaurd.
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Quote by Cantplay4penuts

Any ideas on basses? I listen to metal and stuff, that being said, im not to good at playing it, so i need a versatile bass that can get me rock aswell.

So far im looking at the 800AUD mark, wont get me far, but whatever.
Possibly a Black Fender Standard Precision.
Might end up putting pickups in it, DR neon strings, Fibre optic fret markers, and a Blacklight light on the headstock on the strings to light them up! That and maybe a baddass bridge..
Edit:black pickgaurd too!

To be honest, your wasting your money on those ideas, if you feel your playing is not good why waste money on putting the spotlight on your bass when you're not comfortable using it. Buy some lessons perhaps.

I don't think you need the new bass unless you have nothing or something absolutely horrible. but I'd consider a nice squier maybe. DR strings suck, fiber optics and blacklights sound like a weird idea especially if you don't think you can play well enough let alone play on stage.
Get a Squier VM bass and mod that. They are pretty good for the $$ and that leaves you plaenty to do the mods you want, considering you'll be looking at $300+ USD for those upgrades (New pickups, electronics, tuners,bridge. that isn't even factoring in your"LED" display, which is kinda cheesy IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Eh, i want something that can stand out. I can play rock stuff, and when im in a band ill be able to improve. IT sounds cheasy, i admit, but i think it would look mad to have a black bass, with bright green strings on it. It would stand out!
I didnt realise DR sucked? anyway. Ill prob do what Rob has said, it seems like a better way to go! Thanks
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
^ again, playing with people is good, and helpful, but I assume by saying you play "rock stuff" you mean pumping roots, and lessons could help, As cool as you think it might look in most cases it's cheesy and puts focus on you and bad technique or lack of one. you need practice and work. A badass bridge, tuners, and pickups aren't going to make you any better, amp is more important, and playing well most of all. But like the other guy the other day asking about LEDs, you seem to have your mind set and want us to just agree and give you props
(btw, DRs don't suck, but they do suffer from the rule of diminishing returns i.e. they are not proportionally better than their price might suggest. However, I rarely hear anything positive about DR Neons)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Ahh, see what you getting at, But keep in mind, This is just something on my mind, if this ever happens, it wont be for a long time. I have to buy a car, then tools for work, among other things (like a bigger amp) before i get money that i can finally throw around and have some big fun with. I have ok tecnique, and i can play, i just cant play very fast, such as thrash, and that is something that i will (hopefully) develop with time. It would be nice to have a schweeeet looking bass, like those see through ones, they look pretty cool
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410