Hey!

I have listened melodic death metal for a long time now, and I want to create my own songs. I have noticed that all melodic death metal bands either all try to copy the gothenburg style of At The Gates, In Flames or Dark Tranquillity or they all copy the finnish style with keyboards in like CoB, Kalmah and Wintersun!

It makes it kinda difficult since both finnish and swedish use a lot of harmonies, so it's IMO hard to be original with them anymore. Whatever I try I just end up sounding like a bad version of either In Flames or CoB.

Any advices on this would be great! Thanks!
well, those bands are in the melodic death medol genre.

If you wanna sound like melodic death, then you are going to sound like them.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Well, that is how melodic death sounds like, so if you want to play melodeath, that is how you should sound.

You basically has narrowed in on the two major styles, the finnish with keyboards, or the Gothenburg style. But that doesn't mean all other bands are copying them...
Of course when you play a certain sub genre parts of it will sound the same, don't try and duplicate what you hear though. Just play what sounds good to you and try not to think about other bands. If its melodic death then that's what it will be, if not it wont be.

P.S. Nobody in the melo death scene comes close to genius things that Jari Maenpaa and Wintersun do
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
I would personally highly recommend Soilwork, the following albums to be precise, with personal favourites noted, of course you may find your own favourites :P

A Predator's Portrait (Bastard Chain; The Analyst; Structure Divine; Shadowchild; title track)
Natural Born Chaos (Follow the Hollow; The Flameout; The Bringer; Song of the Damned)
Stabbing the Drama (title track; Observation Slave; If Possible; Wherever Thorns May Grow)

Then songs off of other albums: The Akuma Afterglow; Enter the Dog of Pavlov. (The Panic Broadcast)
Thanks for answers guys! And you're right that I'm going sound like one of these melodic death styles, but I'm going to try make it more interesting than what's been done before :P But that's a bit hard for me, because I'm not so experienced with songwriting yet :P And I keep using the same things as those bands I listen to, so I'm definetly going to sound a bit similliar O.o
Last edited by Randomguy09 at Oct 18, 2011,
dont play death metal if you dont wanna sound like death metal, play what your heart tells you to and dont restrict yourself to a genre

thats how death metal was ****in made man
Quote by Cheesepuff
dont play death metal if you dont wanna sound like death metal, play what your heart tells you to and dont restrict yourself to a genre

thats how death metal was ****in made man

I know I shouldn't restrics myslef, but you know ... I wanna be like my idols and stuff ... So I kinda am in love with this genre, so for a sound I want I belive I also should follow some characteristics for the genre, but try and make it as interesting I can

My heart kinda tells me to play as good as my influences
Quote by Cavalcade
Then you're playing for the wrong reason.

Okay I said it wrong ... I meant that I always think of your idols and influences when playing music. And the reason I play is that it's fun, and hopefully I can bring the same joy to people as my influences have done for me!

BTW I'm going to bed now, so I'll check back to this thread tomorrow! Night guys! :P
Last edited by Randomguy09 at Oct 18, 2011,
your idols most probably sound nothing like their idols

if it was so, bands like arch enemy would sound like maiden
Quote by Cheesepuff
your idols most probably sound nothing like their idols

if it was so, bands like arch enemy would sound like maiden

So now I can't play melodic death metal because my idols play it?
Quote by Randomguy09
So now I can't play melodic death metal because my idols play it?

You can't play melodic death metal and be original because your idols play it. You said it yourself:
Quote by Randomguy09
it's IMO hard to be original with them anymore.

If you'll find some new influences and add them in, you might come up with a more original sound, but melodeath is dead if you ask me. The scene is saturated with bands that "want to sound like their idols", and they all have the exact same idols.
Quote by Cavalcade
You can't play melodic death metal and be original because your idols play it. You said it yourself:

If you'll find some new influences and add them in, you might come up with a more original sound, but melodeath is dead if you ask me. The scene is saturated with bands that "want to sound like their idols", and they all have the exact same idols.

Your eyes really are full of hate
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Your eyes really are full of hate

That's good. Hate keeps a man alive.
Really though, this is just what I think. But, I also think there are some melodeath bands out there that have an original sound, that works, because they don't follow the Gothenburg blueprint. Scar Symmetry and Insomnium come to mind. Going on those examples, Scar Symmetry breaks away from the Gburg formula by adding tech-death elements to it, and Insomnium mixes in doom (that, and they're good songwriters, with an ear for structure and dynamics).
Hope that helps.
Quote by Cavalcade
That's good. Hate keeps a man alive.
Really though, this is just what I think. But, I also think there are some melodeath bands out there that have an original sound, that works, because they don't follow the Gothenburg blueprint. Scar Symmetry and Insomnium come to mind. Going on those examples, Scar Symmetry breaks away from the Gburg formula by adding tech-death elements to it, and Insomnium mixes in doom (that, and they're good songwriters, with an ear for structure and dynamics).
Hope that helps.

I think we've beaten the nail reference to death now

I hear what you are saying, sort of. I mean, many classical/piano composers used the same instruments with similar elements and structures, for years upon years upon years.

Doesn't mean Rachmaninoff followed Bach's blue print, naw mean?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete

I hear what you are saying, sort of. I mean, many classical/piano composers used the same instruments with similar elements and structures, for years upon years upon years.

Doesn't mean Rachmaninoff followed Bach's blue print, naw mean?

That's a good point, but I'd apply my point to classical music, too. There aren't really any iconic Baroque pieces that everyone (that is, non-music-majors) can instantly recognize, but even if I type "BUM BUM BUM BUUUM!", you'll hear Beethoven's Fifth in your head.
Quote by Cavalcade
That's a good point, but I'd apply my point to classical music, too. There aren't really any iconic Baroque pieces that everyone (that is, non-music-majors) can instantly recognize, but even if I type "BUM BUM BUM BUUUM!", you'll hear Beethoven's Fifth in your head.

from now on we are enemies.........you and I....

Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Cavalcade

Damn ... it's so true! I can just give up, cuz I really am bad at adding new things. I just end up playing another genre which already exists :/

Quote by Gundamnitpete
from now on we are enemies.........you and I....

I listened this song on the bus home from school! \m/
Last edited by Randomguy09 at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by deathofagod
I would personally highly recommend Soilwork, the following albums to be precise, with personal favourites noted, of course you may find your own favourites :P

A Predator's Portrait (Bastard Chain; The Analyst; Structure Divine; Shadowchild; title track)
Natural Born Chaos (Follow the Hollow; The Flameout; The Bringer; Song of the Damned)
Stabbing the Drama (title track; Observation Slave; If Possible; Wherever Thorns May Grow)

Then songs off of other albums: The Akuma Afterglow; Enter the Dog of Pavlov. (The Panic Broadcast)

Wow, you like the same ones I do your awesome man!
Sup dudes, this is a music theory forum. I'm sure there's some melodic death metal discussion you can join in the music discussion forums.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud