I've been going back and forth looking at various amps lately, and was considering upgrading the mark IV for a road king. But I've been thinking about it, and really the only thing I don't particularly care for on the MKIV is rhythm 2 channel. I've been tweaking it like mad and the main problem is that I can't get a low-mid gain sound I'm happy with. The clean channel sounds good (not amazing, but good enough for me), and I got a pretty solid sound dialed in on the lead channel.

I guess what I'm looking for is an amp that can get me modern high gain like the lead channel on the MKIV, a mid gain channel like an AC15, and if the clean channel can sound like an AC15 as well, that's even better.

Does such an amp exist, or do I just need to go buy an AC15, and deal with using 2 amps to get the ideal combination of tones? I don't really play metal per se, but I do write a lot of hard rock riffs that have some chuggy palm mutes, and need an amp that is capable of hitting that heavy bottom end thump when I want it, but can be backed off for a nice mid gain crunch as well.

Also, is the AC15 capable of switching down to lower wattage? I'd heard it can be, but I didn't see anything about it on GC's website.

Any ideas? I'm still considering the road king, because the 2 clean channels on that beast sound pretty legit (lone star clean channel), and IIRC you can gain one up enough to play mid gain stuff. The downside is the price tag... ouch.

If my post seems oddly assembled and rambling, I've been up since 2:30 AM, and am half asleep... yet still GASing for another amp. The brain works in mysterious ways.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Super Reverb.

(Solely based on thread title.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The Road King won't give you AC tones. Sounds like a stereo rig is in order.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If you're that particular, then a 2nd amp is what you'll want. Or moving to a rack type setup (axefx? triaxis?).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
maybe look into a bogner ecstacy

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by LaidBack
The Road King won't give you AC tones. Sounds like a stereo rig is in order.

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by DarthV
If you're that particular, then a 2nd amp is what you'll want. Or moving to a rack type setup (axefx? triaxis?).

Yeah that's the problem I think. I love brit sound for low-med gain, but American for high gain. Not looking to get an axe FX.

I'm not even sure how a 2 amp setup would work. I'm assuming I'd have to get an A/B switch, but then the Vox has no FX loop, so I'd only get FX on the mesa. A single amp setup would be far better. I can sacrifice the cleans if I have to. Honestly, I rarely play totally clean anyway.

I'll look into that bogner, thanks for the tip.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
^^ LOL, I have a renegade too... It's a strange situation TBH. I'm in the process of moving, so I have the renegade in one place, and the rest of my gear somewhere else. I was planning on selling both amps to get the RK.

honestly I'm not sure WTF I want lol. I just know I'm not happy with CH2 on the mark. I wish I could stuff an AC15 into the mesa head. That Vox has a nasty grit to it when its' cranked up that I love, but I don't want to sacrifice the lead channel for it.

How would a stereo rig work? would both amps be running all the time?
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Have them both on and have a switcher pedal. Then you could run them individually or at the same time. A whole world of possibilities open up.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by jpatan
^^ LOL, I have a renegade too... It's a strange situation TBH. I'm in the process of moving, so I have the renegade in one place, and the rest of my gear somewhere else. I was planning on selling both amps to get the RK.

honestly I'm not sure WTF I want lol. I just know I'm not happy with CH2 on the mark. I wish I could stuff an AC15 into the mesa head. That Vox has a nasty grit to it when its' cranked up that I love, but I don't want to sacrifice the lead channel for it.

How would a stereo rig work? would both amps be running all the time?

Just get an AC15 and a regular recto or something. I doubt there are mny songs that need AC15 style grit and Recto style brootz at the same time......most of the time I hear Voxy drive, its usually classic rock or something of the sort. And the cleans that you find in br00tz metal arent usually that complex (ambient, djent and prog aside, and even then just use an ABY pedal to selectively send your signal to the amp you want sound from).

That said, the Axe Fx suggestion has merits if you dont mind spending a lot of time tweaking. It can come bloody close to the real thing if you set it up right (it can also sound worse than a Spider if you do it wrong )
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 18, 2011,