Is it worth dropping the extra 300$ for the Sheraton or is the dot a good guitar? I'd like to play from roots rock kings of leon-ish stuff to Queens of the Stone Age fuzzed out stuff.
the Dot's are pretty well loved even by gibson guys they are good guitars. the sheraton's are really nice and in my opinion worth the extra money.
for what it's worth I have a Sheraton and love it - the dots felt cheap in comparison - the Sheri just wants to be played.
I'd go for the Sheraton.

Do a full headstock to strap button exam of the Dot if you do get it. I know almost all guitars have flaws, but when I phone ordered a Dot from Long and Mcquade, the sent me a Dot with a dime sized hole in the soundblock. I just didnt want a guitar with a hole in it, so I sent it back, and eventually got a Tele.

/$.02
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I have a dot studio, which is the worst model spec wise. And I love the tthing to death. I would play a few dots, all the versions you can get your hands on. If you like it. buy it.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Wicked. Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess it really comes down to playing both at a guitar shop and testing them out for myself.
I think you should really buy the Sheraton because the dot is just any cheap guitar and I think she´s also a Gibson remake ... the Sheraton is amazing, it´s a quality guitar
Assuming you mean a sheraton II and not the sheraton that went out of production in the 70s. I have a Korean sheraton II and it's just smooth as butter. Great thin 3-piece neck compared to the Dot and plays nice.

Other than the neck I believe the only differences are cosmetic, but they're substantial. The Sheraton II has nice multi-layered binding everywhere possible except the F holes, which have single layer binding. It has the fancy inlaid headstock and the V-block fret markers. And of course the gold hardware, which requires maintenance because it will tarnish and fade eventually.

If you ask me that's worth the extra cash for the smile it puts on my face, the smile it puts on the face of everyone who looks at it, and the fact that if you're buying this kind of guitar you might just be interested in that more classy look. It also increases resale value substantially. But consider a used one and you'll save cash and avoid made in china (if that's a concern for you, maybe it isn't). I got a sweet tobacco burst one off craigslist for $350, and they don't make the true tobacco burst any longer.
It's usually pretty hard to go wrong with DOT's in general. I had a DOT Studio that I kept in my room when I was deployed to Iraq, and I adored that thing. The Sheratons are very nice, though. I'd say preferable to most DOTs. My only beef with them is that they're HUGE.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
It's usually pretty hard to go wrong with DOT's in general. I had a DOT Studio that I kept in my room when I was deployed to Iraq, and I adored that thing. The Sheratons are very nice, though. I'd say preferable to most DOTs. My only beef with them is that they're HUGE.

Hahaha yea they are pretty big guitars. However, I'm a pretty big dude so the bigger the guitar, the better it looks hahaha.
One thing to keep in consideration is the neck... I'm pretty sure they're vastly different. I've gigged with both a Dot belonging to me and a Sheraton II belonging to a friend, and while the Dot is more of a '50s baseball bat profile, the Sheraton neck was very thin by comparison, basically almost Jackson/ESP status (I'm sure Epi/Gibson has a name for both those profiles, I haven't done my homework). Now this could have changed over the years... the Dot is about 2 years old and the Sheraton is pushing 9 or 10 I think.

For me as someone with a lot of experience with the Dot Standard, if I could afford a Sheraton II it would be the obvious choice, just for the finish options and the upscale looks alone.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
My fav is the dot studio...
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
While I'd take the Sheraton out of those two, I'd look at Ibanez too. I love my AS73, which is pretty much a Dot knockoff. Before I bought it I played a lot of Dots and Ibanezes (sp?) and I always went back to Ibanez.

Just my $.02
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I owned a Sheraton II years ago.. Mine was made in Korea, I think.. it was 1990... Lots of sustain and it just felt solid... the whole thing is maple, and it's weighty if I remember.. hardly ever fedback unless I pushed it to do it.. Great guitar... Looking for another one at the moment...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!