So... here's the story. I bought a pair of Cascade fathead ribbon mics, but the pres in my Profire 2626 aren't hot enough for the mics. I want to get a 2 channel pre, but I'm on a pretty strict budget, so I can't spend more than $150 or so. I've looked at the Behringer ULTRAGAIN pro MIC2200, the Alesis Mictube duo, and the ART TPS II. Out of those I was leaning towards the Behringer because it has the best reviews out of the three, but I've had some bad experiences with Behringers before.
Any recommendations?
never trust behringer.they always crap out after a few months
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond

I have had a behringer C-1 mic for about 2 years that i love, although it takes some EQing to get a great sound :p

but yes i agree in general behringer is kind of sketch.
I wouldn't waste my money on a preamp under $500 but if I did, I get the Presonus TubePre like the one I bought for $75 used :p

Its only one channel but worth the money
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
I wouldn't waste my money on a preamp under $500 but if I did, I get the Presonus TubePre like the one I bought for $75 used :p

+1 i bought one and swapped the tube for a NOS phillips. much better than the stock pre's in my interface.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Probably more than you're looking to spend, but this sounds sweet on ribbons:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RibbonPre

Used one on a Royer stereo ribbon room mic on a piano session I assisted on. Really clean gain.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
For that kind of money, it wouldn't even be worth it, the pres are going to be inferior to what's included on your interface.

What are you trying to record that you can't get enough gain out of them? I have Fatheads and they respond about as well to my Saffire Pro 40's pres as an SM57 would.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by lockwolf

I'm not liking my options for the inexpensive pres either, but I can't afford to buy an expensive pre right now. Do you have the Bluetube? They have a two channel version of it for around 200. Is it good for the price?
triple ninja
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by MatrixClaw
For that kind of money, it wouldn't even be worth it, the pres are going to be inferior to what's included on your interface.

What are you trying to record that you can't get enough gain out of them? I have Fatheads and they respond about as well to my Saffire Pro 40's pres as an SM57 would.

Actually, it appears now that my cable may have just gone bad at the oddest time. I was using earlier in the day with my 57 on my guitar cab and it was working fine. I plugged the fathead in when it got to my house and it was a no-go. I only have one other 5 foot cable that I didn't bother to test as my first cable was working not 1 hour before I got the fathead. I tried both my fatheads, so I assumed it wasn't the mic. I had read that I might need a better pre, so I just assumed it was that. Then I try my little 5 foot cable and I get signal. That's what I get for making assumptions I guess
Quote by TheChaz
Actually, it appears now that my cable may have just gone bad at the oddest time. I was using earlier in the day with my 57 on my guitar cab and it was working fine. I plugged the fathead in when it got to my house and it was a no-go. I only have one other 5 foot cable that I didn't bother to test as my first cable was working not 1 hour before I got the fathead. I tried both my fatheads, so I assumed it wasn't the mic. I had read that I might need a better pre, so I just assumed it was that. Then I try my little 5 foot cable and I get signal. That's what I get for making assumptions I guess

I figured something was up.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Eggmond

I've owned quite a bit of Behringer gear over the years, and still own some. I've had very few problems - no more so than I would expect from any other brand, save for some of the more elite stuff. Mind you, I'm pretty careful with my stuff.

Behringer is like the Hyundai of the audio world. Good, serviceable products for a surprisingly low price. You can get better, of course... lots better. But for the price, you pretty well have to at least double it before you notice much improvement. You can't spend $15K and expect a Mercedes.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.