I'm going to keep my jazz bass (shock horror to any regulars) after having played it near constantly for the past fortnight. BUT it certainly needs some serious upgrading; at the moment all it has going for it is the feel (superb) and looks (stunning). I.e. It sounds a bit shit. Now what I want to do is to make it a vintage beast, not in the classic thumpy sort of way but in a growly, dirty hard rock sort of way. So...

Neck pickup: As always, the neck pickup sound pretty sweet although it has a little too much booming bass and a little too little high mids.

Bridge pickup: As always, the bridge pickup is shite. No treble and no bass, just boring mids. I wan't something bright and growly for this but with enough bass to be played solo.

I'll be wiring both pickups through switches rather than volume pots and bypassing any tone control whatsoever. If anyone could help me with a wiring diagram and maybe a switch for some series/parallel jiggery pokery then that would be great.

Bridge: Typical low mass bridge. I want something high mass, string through but not as pricey as a Badass Bridge.

Tuners: Are there any light version of Fender tuners that don't break the bank?

For anyone interested, it's getting strung with TI Flats.
Which model is this one? You get rid of them so quickly it's hard to keep track. For the pickups, I'd say Wizards would be a good option, they made my shit bass sound pretty good through a mediocre amp. I'm sure others will be able to refine your needs better though.
For a bridge I'd say a Hipshot A Style sounds like a good bet, but it'll probably run you about the same as a Badass II.

Pickups: Nordstrand do both vintage style single coil, and humbuckig split coil J pickups, might be worth checking out. Or there's always good ol' Lindy Fralins.

Tuners: Gotoh makes some compact tuning machines that should be cheaper then Hipshots, but they're Y style instead of clover style. The Hipshot Ultra Lites are worth the investment though.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by edgeyyz
Which model is this one? You get rid of them so quickly it's hard to keep track. For the pickups, I'd say Wizards would be a good option, they made my shit bass sound pretty good through a mediocre amp. I'm sure others will be able to refine your needs better though.

This is a black/black/maple jazz bass that I bought new about three weeks ago, a gem of a MIM but the pickups are shit (of course I couldn't tell that when I tried it in the shop, the only amps they had connected up were the >£1000 kind.)
Wizard are always my first thought these days but for this particular bass they don't do anything I want. All their pickups are really warm vintage types, not the dirty sound that I want. Having them rewound is out of the question too, I need this bass almost constantly.

Quote by Tostitos
For a bridge I'd say a Hipshot A Style sounds like a good bet, but it'll probably run you about the same as a Badass II.

Pickups: Nordstrand do both vintage style single coil, and humbuckig split coil J pickups, might be worth checking out. Or there's always good ol' Lindy Fralins.

Tuners: Gotoh makes some compact tuning machines that should be cheaper then Hipshots, but they're Y style instead of clover style. The Hipshot Ultra Lites are worth the investment though.

Nordstrand are a little pricey, so are Lindy Fralin. I'm looking at Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan at the moment, so far I'm thinking of getting a Dimarzio Area J for the neck and a Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder for the bridge. That said, all I have to go on is those godawful "tone charts."
I suppose £70-odd isn't too bad for a bridge, I might actually get a Babicz bridge or cross my fingers for a second hand Badass. Does anyone know anything about monorail bridges? Personally, I think they look great but I've not idea how they affect tone.
As for tuners, Hipshot Ultralites seem to be the only worthwhile option. **** me, this stuff is expensive.

Posted from my girlfriend's Mac, this crap can even make posting on the internet difficult.
Doesn't Gotoh make HM bridges?

I have Dimarzio's in my jazz bass. They keep the classic tone while adding a bit a growl to the sound as well.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
The fun stuff is always expensive.

I was going to suggest Bartolinis for pickups, but I can't recall the last time I heard a "dirty" Bartolini pickup. The only other pickup that I know is rock-oriented is EMG, but I know those tend to be love-absolutelyfrickinhate around these parts, and I think a lot of users lean towards the latter. I'm also not sure if you're wanting to add another wrinkle to your wiring plan by going active.

Those Babicz bridges are the sex, though I've always wanted a Badass as well. Now that you mentioned the color scheme of the bass, what finish are you going with for the hardware? I only ask because I drooled at the thought of a black/black/maple Jazz with all black hardware...or possibly gold, for that classy look.

Quote by Spaz91
Does anyone know anything about monorail bridges? Personally, I think they look great but I've not idea how they affect tone.

Are you referring to bridges similar to the ones on Ibanez BTB basses (Monorail II), where each individual string has its own small bridge? I remember hearing that each individual bridge was supposed to help with string vibration into the body (and with other strings), but I think that was more of a marketing gimmick than anything. I'm sure installing something similar onto a Jazz would take some ambitious routing.

Here's an old thread I found on the subject for your perusal: Monorail Bridges
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by graybass_20x6
The fun stuff is always expensive.

I was going to suggest Bartolinis for pickups, but I can't recall the last time I heard a "dirty" Bartolini pickup. The only other pickup that I know is rock-oriented is EMG, but I know those tend to be love-absolutelyfrickinhate around these parts, and I think a lot of users lean towards the latter. I'm also not sure if you're wanting to add another wrinkle to your wiring plan by going active.

Those Babicz bridges are the sex, though I've always wanted a Badass as well. Now that you mentioned the color scheme of the bass, what finish are you going with for the hardware? I only ask because I drooled at the thought of a black/black/maple Jazz with all black hardware...or possibly gold, for that classy look.

Are you referring to bridges similar to the ones on Ibanez BTB basses (Monorail II), where each individual string has its own small bridge? I remember hearing that each individual bridge was supposed to help with string vibration into the body (and with other strings), but I think that was more of a marketing gimmick than anything. I'm sure installing something similar onto a Jazz would take some ambitious routing.

Here's an old thread I found on the subject for your perusal: Monorail Bridges

Barts are beyond my price range anyway. I love EMGs but they certainly aren't what I want for this project, the quick connect system would interfere with my wiring plans more than the battery. That said, I want to keep this passive anyway.

Babicz and Monorail bridges seem to be polar opposites, Babicx = more sustain, easy fitting but more sympathetic harmonics whereas monorails = no sympathetic harmonics but less sustain and a very trick install. I think I'm going to stick with drop in replacements, I need measurements for the Babicz too as I want to fit ashtrays.

No black or gold; all chrome, baby. I might even try a little light relicing, dulled chrome won't show so many fingermarks.
The idea with the mono-rails is that it supposedly helps keep other strings from vibrating since there's no common baseplate between them all. Plus stagger them if you're doing a multi-scale, make your bridge string spacing wider if you wish, and most importantly: they look bad ass as all hell.

Hipshot makes the triple lock down single string bridge which I know is a string-through-body, and I think ABM has one as well.

EDIT: damn answered already.

There was a thread not too long ago regarding the Babicz and ashtrays where someone posted the measurements of the Babicz.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 19, 2011,