i have to write a 15-20 page paper for my music history class and im struggling on picking the topic. I was thinking of doing Bach's Well Tempered Clavier but i think this would most likely be to broad of a topic for 15-20 pages. then i was thinking of doing Mozart breaking away from the patronage system and how that affected him and other composers but i thought that was too narrow of a topic. Any suggestions?
Do it on the James Hetfield's progression from thrash metal frontman to a table.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
The historical development of SWAG.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I don't know man. I'm nut a huge bach fan myself. His early stuff is alright, but from the 3rd album on he was just going more and more mainstream.
Even though he's more modern, you should do a piece in that paper on Italian composer/pianist Ludovico Einaudi's playing; it's minimalist and very textural, a far cry from what you typically hear in classical music, and would be a good contrast to some of the stuff you're considering writing about as a sort of bullet point in your paper.

As far as classical classical, I'd honestly go with Frederic Chopin. It's not only music that was immense and compelling, but his life as well.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
One of Tchaikovsky's three ballets or Romeo and Juliet or some other thing he wrote for something.

Tchaikovsky>Bach.
Cold, hard fact right there.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by 2112/3
forgot to mention this but im supposed to stay with classical era or earlier

Ah, got it.

I'd still say Chopin.

What specifically does your paper have to focus on? You could pull 20 pages easily out of Chopin's life; both for music and other.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by 2112/3
it is just a general paper on anything from ancient to classical.

write about Earl Scruggs. he's ancient.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Wait, classical as in the common practice period or classical as in Haydn and Mozart?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK