Hi all

I've been looking at this recently:

Marty Friedman Melodic Control

After working on it for a while I added some comments on youtube and so far people there have disagreed with me. But youtube seems hardly the place for that type of discussion and so I thought I'd throw it up here for discussion.

Here's what I wrote on youtube:

"after analsying it a little further I realised that:

- it does not use the E maj but rather the E Mixolydian scale (D instead of D#).
- D maj has the same notes as E Mixolydian aside from a G instead of G#. But the G note is never played throughout the pieces.
- A maj has exactly the same notes as E Mixolydian....

So the idea of playing the notes from the chords I don't think is hugely demonstrated. To me he's doing more or less the same as you do when blues jamming.... IE - bringing out the changes in the rhythm change from root to IV and V. And this is mainly achieved by hitting the right note when the change happens. Of course, Marty emphasises this by often sticking to the arpeggio of the relevant chard. But he does play notes beyond the arpeggio. And it's worth remembering he is NOT using different notes when th chords change. He's always playing the same seven notes regardless of what chord is behind."

Would you guys agree or disagree with me on this? Any other thoughts or general comments about Marty's lesson?

Cheers

Max
so he's playing in a major and accounting for accidentals to avoid dissonance?

what are you getting at here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
uhm, he arps the chords that are playing and adds some other notes in from the key that he's currently playing in

yeah, what ARE you getting at here? I thought his explanation and his playing were fairly easy to understand
Marty's teaching sucks, and it's poorly explained and even worse in his demonstration, and one of my favorite moments is when he called the D# the relative major of C minor.

Great player, knows his stuff as one, but fails as a teacher. They used his name to make money, and he inspired the fan boys.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Marty's teaching sucks, and it's poorly explained and even worse in his demonstration, and one of my favorite moments is when he called the D# the relative major of C minor.

Great player, knows his stuff as one, but fails as a teacher. They used his name to make money, and he inspired the fan boys.

Best,

Sean

Yh im not a huge fan of his teaching. Paul Gilbert is a much better teacher.
I am not such a huge fan of his teaching either.
I prefer Paul Gilbert and Guthrie Govan.

I'm not a huge fan of his teaching. But Melodic control made me "slow down" my improvisation.

This is however just because I saw his lessons on arrpegiating and chord tones first,, instead of any other lesson that's at least as good.

Also, I only seen guitar lessons by PG on Guitar techniques so you can't really compare the two.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 20, 2011,