I've been considering this idea for a little while and I thought maybe the pit had some thoughts on it. What, if anything, separates food from healthcare?

EDIT: I don't mean in a legal sense.

EDIT2: And more generally, is food a right?
Last edited by captaincrunk at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
What, if anything, separates food from healthcare?

a cigar
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
All food doesn't mean good health

How would you connect them?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by CoreysMonster
You mean like foodstamps?

I mean it more generally in a philosophical sense. Is eating part of healthcare?

EDIT: Doesn't it seem as though food, and the process of eating, is geared towards the same things that healthcare is geared towards? Why isn't food considered medicine?
Last edited by captaincrunk at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
I mean it more generally in a philosophical sense. Is eating part of healthcare?

EDIT: Doesn't it seem as though food, and the process of eating, is geared towards the same things that healthcare is geared towards? Why isn't food considered medicine?

because food is a basic necessity that humans need from birth on.

Healthcare is for medicine, which is for when you get sick, i.e. something not everybody necessarily needs in their life.
Quote by captaincrunk
What, if anything, separates food from healthcare?

EDIT: I don't mean in a legal sense.

you don't eat healthcare?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Healthcare is for medicine, which is for when you get sick, i.e. something not everybody necessarily needs in their life.

Is starvation not a medical emergency? It certainly seems to be.

I'm not trying to say healthcare is food, I'm trying to say that food (and water) is a subset of healthcare.
Quote by theogonia777
you don't eat healthcare?

You eat medicine.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I would say this.

As for food being a right: Like healthcare, it SHOULD be. The real question is how do you make it available to every person?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Because you don't need a doctor to prescribe food for you, you don't need careful, exact measurements of food to keep from hurting yourself (i.e. overdosing), and you don't *need* big corporations to make the food for you.

The connotation behind the term "healthcare" is not the same as just saying "caring for your health"...
Quote by captaincrunk
Is starvation not a medical emergency? It certainly seems to be.

I'm not trying to say healthcare is food, I'm trying to say that food (and water) is a subset of healthcare.

Yeah, but that's what foodstamps are for, so people don't starve.

If you look at it that way, then anything people need can in a way be put under healthcare, including a home, clean air, and a healthy supply of marijuana delivered to your front door by hot chicks every friday evening.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd say so, from the belief that there is no such thing as unhealghy foods- only unhealthy diets. If you have a healthier diet, you are promoting your own wellbeing.

Yes. Just because some food isn't good for you (just like taking 3 lbs of codeine a night wouldn't be good for you) doesn't mean food itself isn't good for you.

I'm asking this not from a legal perspective. In fact, **** da police for all I care. I'm asking this as a question of definition. What makes food NOT healthcare?

Why isn't a carrot healthcare?
Quote by RicoTheBeast
Food is the byproduct of the earth. Healthcare revolves around man-made techniques and "solutions".

Medicine has traditionally been based on things we can naturally obtain (and to a certain extent still is) whilst agriculture has been moving away from simply being a "byproduct of the earth" for centuries.

And on topic, maybe. An easier argument could be made for nutrition which might be distinct from food. "Food" includes luxury items such as crisps, cakes, chocolate etc. A certain minimum amount of calories and vitamins and so on are necessary for a kind of base level of health.

I would say access to food is most definitely a right. The UN agrees:

Article 25.
(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
(2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by Meths
And on topic, maybe. An easier argument could be made for nutrition which might be distinct from food. "Food" includes luxury items such as crisps, cakes, chocolate etc. A certain minimum amount of calories and vitamins and so on are necessary for a kind of base level of health.

This is where the thought came from. Nutritionists are healthcare professionals. Clearly, nutrition is part of healthcare.
This is too deep for me.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Dietitians are indeed healthcare workers therefore it makes sense that food, aka one's diet, is part of healthcare.

And food is a right.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Last edited by CrunchyRoll at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
This is where the thought came from. Nutritionists are healthcare professionals. Clearly, nutrition is part of healthcare.

Nutritionists are quacks. It's not a protected title, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, even if the extent of their nutrition knowledge is that eating shit is a bad idea.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Nutritionists are quacks. It's not a protected title, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, even if the extent of their nutrition knowledge is that eating shit is a bad idea.

Well, I meant ones with PhD's who went to medical school. If they exist anyway.
Quote by captaincrunk

Medical school is for doctors of medicine
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by captaincrunk
Graduate school is for doctors.

Can someone be a medical doctor who specializes in nutrition? This is just a technical question.

I literally edited my post 1 second after i posted.
Quote by captaincrunk

Quote by wikipedia
Some use the terms "dietitian" and "nutritionist" as basically interchangeable.[1] However in many countries and jurisdictions, the title "nutritionist" is not subject to professional regulation; any person may call themselves a nutrition expert even if they are wholly self-taught.[2] In most US states, parts of Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom, the term nutritionist is not legally protected, whereas the title of dietitian can be used only by those who have met specified professional requirements. One career counselor attempting to describe the difference between the two professions to Canadian students suggested "all dietitians are nutritionists, but not all nutritionists are dietitians."

After thinking about it and reading the posts, I think food may very well be a part of healthcare. Never thought of it before. Like medicine, you shouldn't consume too much, and not all of it is good for you, but it is a necessity and is generally good for you.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Last edited by Gibson_SG_uzr55 at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
You eat medicine.

you're no fun.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I literally edited my post 1 second after i posted.

I'm speedy!
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
After thinking about it and reading the posts, I think food may very well be a part of healthcare. Never thought of it before. Like medicine, you shouldn't consume too much, and not all of it is good for you, but it is a necessity and is generally good for you.

I think this is the paradigm shift necessary for a true discussion of healthcare, one way or the other.
I have thought about this before as well, but the wording just needs to change. We have so many emotions attached to the word "food", as Meths said food includes items that you don't necessarily need. I think that basic nutrition is healthcare though, after all healthcare is just giving your body something it currently lacks or trying to fight a problem that has developed. Food is giving your body fuel which it would lack otherwise and it is combatting starvation, which is just as big a problem worldwide as any major disease.

Maybe food is "preventative care"?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by captaincrunk
I'm speedy!

I think this is the paradigm shift necessary for a true discussion of healthcare, one way or the other.

Good luck getting insurance companies to cover cake.

Oscar Wilde
Is McDonald's then the biggest healthcare provider?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Food = Staying alive, so yeah.

Though just to be a pain....healthcare can be looking after someone who is dying, which isn't preserving life, so if healthcare is caring for peoples QUALITY of life; then eating is not healthcare, it's self preservation.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
I know where you're coming from regarding this, Cap'n. I will say that food is healthcare. You can't be dishin out Cheetos production on one hand and telling people to eat less junk food and exercise more on the other (a solid third of Americans are obese lol). Food production and healthcare are interrelated processes.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by rockdude375

Though just to be a pain....healthcare can be looking after someone who is dying, which isn't preserving life, so if healthcare is caring for peoples QUALITY of life; then eating is not healthcare, it's self preservation.

Sense.... you make none.
Quote by rockdude375

Since eating properly can drastically improve your quality of life i'd have to disagree with you.