A|-3-----3-----3-----3-------------3-----3-----3-----3-----|
E|---------------------------------5-----5-----5-----5-------|

e|--------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------5-----5-----5-----5p2--------2-----2-----2-----2p0-|
A|-----2-----2-----2-----2----------2-----2-----2-----2-----|
E|---3-----3-----3-----3---------0-----0-----0-----0-------|

i know this tab sucks but i wanted to know what this was. i wrote it but im still trying to learn some music theory. anything you guys can tell me would be appriceated.
What do you want to know??
It's notes god dammit.
The chords are C, Am, G, Em.
The notes are in other words arpeggios.
If I didn't answer your question, then I have no idea to help you.
you both answered my question to some degree... i suppose id like to know how i should go about writing the rest of this. meaning what areas should i play around in to find stuff that wont sound like shit?
Quote by Dillon_Kennedy
what would the minor third be there?

The m3rd will be G.
So with what little i know... and thats very little. the way i have it tabbed out makes it sound minor because of the G before it? or am i totally wrong?
Well it's chord function. You're using chords that are in the key of C Major. The key is already well established by the time you get to the last chord. That's why it has a minor tonality even without the m3rd.
so as simple as this is what are some chords i could try that would make this more musically complex? i dont really have lyrics or plan to put any in so im not worried about it fitting a structure and i also am not asking anyone to write a song for me. i just need some suggestions
as in not the same chord progression repeated. i want to write something that repeats as little as possible. but arpeggiated in groups of three notes ascending in pitch.
Well, you need something to come back home to... so a little repetition somewhere is a good thing. As for what exactly... well, that depends entirely on your ear... and also your melody. Perhaps develop your melody a little more, then add some bass movement to it... then you can alter some of those chords with major or minor thirds... and all dependent on your melody of course. The complexity will come from you. And it will only come from your imagination. After playing this myself, it led me into a totally different direction... still sweet and gentle... your direction however might be for the opposing side, idk.

If you'd like to hear a possible direction, I'll happily record it for you... if it can at least serve as an avenue or an interesting perspective or however it turns out, then cool.

Other than that, I'd possibly suggest reviewing chord progressions to be a platform to work from.
ok! anything you could do to help would make me very happy. if you know of any other threads that might help i would like some links.

and i did want it to start sweet and gentle, like a love song but bittersweet... and then become something slightly unsettling.

it might be good to add that i am pretty new to studying music theory but i am a quick learner
Last edited by Dillon_Kennedy at Oct 26, 2011,
Ok... be warned... this track is a rough idea... so there's lots of buzzes and forgetting your pull off's, etc. Having a heat wave at the moment which is not so nice on strings.. bleh... anyway... if it helps in figuring out something then its cool... task done ... if not, then its ok too

http://www.box.net/shared/jxqkfs84fhe374bzcbm4

The ending could have gone one of two ways... either C or Am... I also did a variation of your opening thing (which is why it could have gone to Am ending chord (variation would be C - Am - Fadd9 -E). For the Am ending you'd go to A directly after the E. To get back to C I repeated an earlier movement of Am-G-F etc... Hope it helps

Apologies for all the buzzes and stuff
Last edited by evolucian at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by evolucian
Ok... be warned... this track is a rough idea... so there's lots of buzzes and forgetting your pull off's, etc. Having a heat wave at the moment which is not so nice on strings.. bleh... anyway... if it helps in figuring out something then its cool... task done ... if not, then its ok too

http://www.box.net/shared/jxqkfs84fhe374bzcbm4

The ending could have gone one of two ways... either C or Am... I also did a variation of your opening thing (which is why it could have gone to Am ending chord (variation would be C - Am - Fadd9 -E). For the Am ending you'd go to A directly after the E. To get back to C I repeated an earlier movement of Am-G-F etc... Hope it helps

Apologies for all the buzzes and stuff

thats really cool! i will probly go a different direction in the end but that helps me think of possibilities. thanks for taking the time to help!