Hey UG,

So I'm very close to deciding on a new guitar, namely the Godin Velocity. I'm no electrical wizard, but it got me thinking...

It's an HSS pickup configuration, so I'm wondering if the single coils will have the same output and twang as like a Strat, while matching the output of the beefier humbucker.

I wonder because in a coil tapped humbucker you never get as good of a tone as a true single coil because of the 500k pots right? I assume the HSS uses a 500k pot? Could be totally wrong so please correct me

Thanks!
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
Quote by Chris Schementi

I wonder because in a coil tapped humbucker you never get as good of a tone as a true single coil because of the 500k pots right? I assume the HSS uses a 500k pot? Could be totally wrong so please correct me

Not quite correct, you never get the same tone as a single coil from a tapped HB for a number of reasons, namely the construction of the pickup alters the sound and that a "tapped" HB is just a reduced power HB, not a HB with only a single coil active in the circuit (that's a "Split" Humbucker). The sound is different from a single coil, not necessarily worse, but it doesn't have the same tone that people love.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Not quite correct, you never get the same tone as a single coil from a tapped HB for a number of reasons, namely the construction of the pickup alters the sound and that a "tapped" HB is just a reduced power HB, not a HB with only a single coil active in the circuit (that's a "Split" Humbucker). The sound is different from a single coil, not necessarily worse, but it doesn't have the same tone that people love.

I see what you mean. So the 2 single coils on an HSS will have the true single tone regardless of the circuitry?
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps