Would there be any difference in hum between the following two options:
1) visual sound onespot with daisy chain (several 9v power supplies in one) connecting several pedals
2) surge protector with several individual 9v power supplies plugged in

To be more technical – I know that the hum/buzz issue with daisy chain results from the pedals sharing a ground. Would that be any different with the surge protector idea? Can’t afford an independent power supply so I’m trying to decide what’s best.
The pedals are essentially going to share a ground anyway, that being the sleeve of the cables you're using to connect them. I would think that multiple supplies would be more noisy, especially if they're cheap, unregulated, and poorly filtered.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
^That.

The One Spot is great though. Depending on what you're running, of course, it shouldn't be too noisy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd highly recommend getting just one 1spot instead of several individual ones. Yes, it would be a lot noisier. Probably, a little bit more expensive and a lot more difficult to setup, too. Or maybe it depends on what PSA's you're planning to use.

EDIT: I think the only problem with 1spot is that you're limited to 9V ones. PSU's would be the best choice.
Last edited by batiboy06 at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by deathletter

To be more technical – I know that the hum/buzz issue with daisy chain results from the pedals sharing a ground. Would that be any different with the surge protector idea? Can’t afford an independent power supply so I’m trying to decide what’s best.

No.
A ground loop is when there is more than one ground. You WANT them all to share a common ground.
Noise problems come from ground loops, and unfiltered power.
Im not sure if the 1spot has a filter or not.
The adapter I used didnt have one, and I had a bad hum. I built one and it's dead quiet now.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Oct 18, 2011,
I have a 1Spot. It's clean - no hum. I think it uses a switching power supply. As others have mentioned, ground loops are fairly common when you start plugging things into different outlets, but they are all interconnected. This causes the ground potential to be different among the different devices and we hear it as hum.
Quote by darkwolf291
No.
A ground loop is when there is more than one ground. You WANT them all to share a common ground.
Noise problems come from ground loops, and unfiltered power.

Whew, only 6 posts into the thread until the truth appears.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The only real problem you can run into with using one supply (as long as you aren't exceeding total current load) is if you try to run a pedal that has a different internal earth. Most pedals use a negative internal earth but there are some that use a positive earth (the arbiter fuzz face being the most well known one). If you do that you have just connected positive to negative and shorted out the supply.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the One Spot and it's great as mentioned above. No hum or noise and convenient by having no space taken up on my pedalboard
9v batteries will eliminate almost all of your hum.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

So does an LM317T.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly

Makes your wallet sing far less too.

Another thing to consider is that some pedals don't always agree when running a daisy chain pedal.