So i'm looking to learn drums and I was wondering what would be a good cheap drumset I could look at? I woud like to learn A7X stuff but I want a drum set I can use for a long time without major upgrades.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by I Have Crabs
To play A7X you're looking at at LEAST $800.

Yeah and that's IF you buy a cheap second hand kit mix and matched with extra toms, most likely bought separately, and the cymbals... Don't even get me started on the cymbals, and then a double pedal or double kick drum depending on your preference.

Then again, it's probably doable for under $800, but highly unlikely.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
Yeah and that's IF you buy a cheap second hand kit mix and matched with extra toms, most likely bought separately, and the cymbals... Don't even get me started on the cymbals, and then a double pedal or double kick drum depending on your preference.

Then again, it's probably doable for under $800, but highly unlikely.

Ok, I already found a used 5 pc for 79.00 bucks. Double Bass Pedals are about 100 right? And do you think I could get 4 cymbals for about 20-40 each? Like Good used cymbals. (Btw the kit comes with Hardware)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
Ok, I already found a used 5 pc for 79.00 bucks. Double Bass Pedals are about 100 right? And do you think I could get 4 cymbals for about 20-40 each? Like Good used cymbals. (Btw the kit comes with Hardware)

If you want cheap double pedals then yeah, but it's upwards of $120 unless mapex still do the entry level $80 pedals, though to be honest I've never really seen a point in them since most of them fall apart and can't withstand heavy use.

And a 5pc isn't gonna really cut something like A7X, it's doable, but you're look at atleast a 6 or 7 piece. But you can buy cheap extra toms for less than $100.

As for cymbals, not really. Maybe look at the Sabian B8 series and try to find second hand ones on ebay. It's actually where I go to look for my cymbals now. You'll need atleast 2x crashes, a pair of hi hats and a ride. I was going to say a china as well, but you could probably do without, though if you're hellbent on learning A7X, then a Wuhan china will do you alright, they're immensely cheap brand new and sound great, but be careful how you hit it because depending on how you hit it and how you mount it, you'll be looking at buying another one very soon.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Those are good deals, provided you're not buying something thats already thrashed pretty bad. What drums did you find that are 79?

Also, I think I bought my first Zildjian ZBTs for $120 from guitar center, and those had hi-hat, crash, crash, and ride, which would work fine for ya.
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Quote by Niiko
If you want cheap double pedals then yeah, but it's upwards of $120 unless mapex still do the entry level $80 pedals, though to be honest I've never really seen a point in them since most of them fall apart and can't withstand heavy use.

And a 5pc isn't gonna really cut something like A7X, it's doable, but you're look at atleast a 6 or 7 piece. But you can buy cheap extra toms for less than $100.

As for cymbals, not really. Maybe look at the Sabian B8 series and try to find second hand ones on ebay. It's actually where I go to look for my cymbals now. You'll need atleast 2x crashes, a pair of hi hats and a ride. I was going to say a china as well, but you could probably do without, though if you're hellbent on learning A7X, then a Wuhan china will do you alright, they're immensely cheap brand new and sound great, but be careful how you hit it because depending on how you hit it and how you mount it, you'll be looking at buying another one very soon.

Ok, I can afford the extra 40-50 bucks for a double bass pedal if needed. I just want something that'll work well and last.

Hmm, I see. Any recommendations on any 6-7 pieces?

Any recommndations on specfic types of Crashes, Hi hats and rides? And i'll look into the china! But thank you for the help!

Quote by Taerran
Those are good deals, provided you're not buying something thats already thrashed pretty bad. What drums did you find that are 79?

Also, I think I bought my first Zildjian ZBTs for $120 from guitar center, and those had hi-hat, crash, crash, and ride, which would work fine for ya.

It looks pretty good. It's a CMC I believe. Its lightly used and looks like the heads are new.
And ok! Thanks! I been searching ebay and Guitar Center.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by Xter
Ok, I can afford the extra 40-50 bucks for a double bass pedal if needed. I just want something that'll work well and last.

Hmm, I see. Any recommendations on any 6-7 pieces?

Any recommndations on specfic types of Crashes, Hi hats and rides? And i'll look into the china! But thank you for the help!

You can always pick up a Tama Iron Cobra, or Jr version, OR a pearl P-122TW or Eliminators pretty cheap second hand.

If you're not really fussed on the kit then I'd say just buy extra toms off of ebay and just re-skin the entire kit. Make sure they're all different sizes though, though I have a friend who uses two 12" toms and a 13" for his kit.

Interestingly I look around on local sites like Gumtree & Craigslist London, found a 9 piece double kick drum kit for £830, so that gives you an idea of what the second hand cost can be if you're buying it whole.

You'll want a ride that has a nice loud bell, isn't dry but isn't too washy either, needs to have some "ping".
Hi hats and crash are really up to you and what you think sounds best so I can't really say, my cymbal choices aren't what most drummers I know would go for
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
You can always pick up a Tama Iron Cobra, or Jr version, OR a pearl P-122TW or Eliminators pretty cheap second hand.

If you're not really fussed on the kit then I'd say just buy extra toms off of ebay and just re-skin the entire kit. Make sure they're all different sizes though, though I have a friend who uses two 12" toms and a 13" for his kit.

Interestingly I look around on local sites like Gumtree & Craigslist London, found a 9 piece double kick drum kit for £830, so that gives you an idea of what the second hand cost can be if you're buying it whole.

You'll want a ride that has a nice loud bell, isn't dry but isn't too washy either, needs to have some "ping".
Hi hats and crash are really up to you and what you think sounds best so I can't really say, my cymbal choices aren't what most drummers I know would go for

Okay lol thanks! My girlfriend's older brother is getting rid of his kit so I'll be getting that but no Cymbals for 50 bucks and for an earlier donation I made to him like a month ago. So now I just need cymbal help and finding extra toms! It's a 5 piece set he is giving me and depending on the price of toms I find I might add to it. And whats the price for Bass Drums on average?
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
You can usually get some nice cymbals on ebay for around $50-$100. It's better to have a few pro cymbals than a plethora of entry level ones. Also, don't skimp on the pedal. Anything under $100 is going to fall apart on you while you're playing.
Quote by Donkey_Punch
You can usually get some nice cymbals on ebay for around $50-$100. It's better to have a few pro cymbals than a plethora of entry level ones. Also, don't skimp on the pedal. Anything under $100 is going to fall apart on you while you're playing.

Ok that sounds excellent! And what pedals would be recommended. Since I'm probably going to end up spending the cash should I just get a double pedal right away? They can function as a single pedal excatly if you don't use the second one correct? Or is there something with them that they are different?
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Personally, I made the mistake of getting a Sound Percussion double bass pedal, and the screws stripped out on me after a month.

So, I dropped the extra cash, and got a used DW3000 for $150, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Its stable, its got the heavier heads (I like that for more thud,) and its dual-chain driven with a quick response.

//edit// also, yes, double pedals function the same as a single, with the extra beater+pedal attachment.
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Quote by Taerran
Personally, I made the mistake of getting a Sound Percussion double bass pedal, and the screws stripped out on me after a month.

So, I dropped the extra cash, and got a used DW3000 for $150, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Its stable, its got the heavier heads (I like that for more thud,) and its dual-chain driven with a quick response.

//edit// also, yes, double pedals function the same as a single, with the extra beater+pedal attachment.

Thank you! and I thought so. I was just double checking. Thank you guys for the help
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
double bass pedals??? you said you want to learn right? did I read that right? set the thing up with a single pedal and see if you can get all four limbs doing something different all at the same time first and save the $100.00+

Musician's friend sells symbol sets that come with hardware fairly cheap. They make noise, I wouldn't be too concerned right now how soothing the noise is yet because at this point no matter what the set costs, it's all gonna be noise for a while... LOL

Good Luck!