I have never tried to record drums before I have always used Superior 2 drums, but the drummer in my band wants to try and record his drums to some original songs we are going to write. My questions is will this mixer work to record 8 seperate drum tracks

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-iMultiMix-16USB-Professional-Mixer-and-Recording-Station-105633788-i1433355.gc

We are going to mic all six drums and use two overhead mics. Wil this work to record all 8 track on seperate tracks at once.

Am using Sonar 8.5 pro on a windows 7 64 system 8gb ram. M-audio fast track interface.
You're link doesn't work. But depending on the music I'd be inclined to use less mics for the drums. Because you not dealing with phasing issues. (frequency canceling them themselves out through the combination of mics).

You can get some insanely good drum sounds with minimal mics.
Also, means you could potentially play in the same room which is always my preference when tracking a band.
Quote by Wild Hopkins
You can get some insanely good drum sounds with minimal mics.
Also, means you could potentially play in the same room which is always my preference when tracking a band.

I agree with this 100%.

If you're new to recording drums, don't overcomplicate things by mic'ing everything in sight.
You can get great results with two condensers and a kick drum mic (and optionally, a dynamic mic for the snare). Make sure the drums are really nicely tuned, with good skins, and in a nice sounding room, and this should net you good results.

Google the 'Glyn Johns Method' - this is a classic technique to get a great drum sound using the bare minimum of mics. Very simple, very effective - but it all depends on how nice your kit sounds in the first place!

What kind of music is it? If you're playing rock/indie/funk/pop etc, the simple method above will work great. If it's EXTREEEM DEATH METULLZ!1 then things will be a little more tricky since you need that clean clinical sound.
I will be recording mostly metal. Some 80's metal Hair metal and thrash like Metallica, Megadeth and slayer. plus some modern Power metal
I see you're in Phoenix, I live in Mesa What's your band's name?

For the price of that Alesis, you could get much better. A Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 will have much better pres and converters, if you don't have Firewire, a card isn't expensive. The Pro 40 sells for $360 B-Stock on eBay, with a "Best Offer" option. One of the best, if not the best, interface you'll get under a grand, and it's expandable to 16 tracks via ADAT.

If you sell the fast track, you'll also be able to make back some more money on the new interface. The Pro 40's preamps utterly destroy all of the Fast Track line.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
We haven't settled on a name yet just getting started and want to record some stuff to put out on a website. We are currently looking for a new lead guitar player.
Quote by Syrnix
We haven't settled on a name yet just getting started and want to record some stuff to put out on a website. We are currently looking for a new lead guitar player.

Send me some of your stuff, I'm lookin for a band!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^Ahh, the UG Recording Board. Bringing musicians together :p

Anyways, as stated, probably not a good board. The only real Live Board with PC connectivity is the Mackie Onyx boards (A little Bias since I am using one in my main studio). Go with the Focusrite Pro 40
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp