im thinking about getting replacement pickups for my gibson les paul studio. Im very interested in blackouts. I might be purchasing another guitar with EMGs soon, so i fugred id diversify a little. Do you guys think they sound better than EMGs?? I mean, i know some of it must be a preferance thing, but ive heard that the duncans have more output, sooo, do they always have better tone? Im looking for great metal tone. Thanks!!!
I would always pick Blackouts over EMGs.

But yeah it would just be preference. I think Bjorn from In Flames uses EMGs in a heavily down-tuned Les Paul and he gets awesome tone though. Although according to a quick search he uses the 85, rather than the 81.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Blackouts > EMG. Unless they're the X-series EMG's, which I like about the same.

Find some clips on Youtube or something for the sound. They'll sound pretty much the same in any guitar due to them being active pups, but I'm sure you can find a video of them in an LP.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
You said you might be getting a guitar with EMGs soon. If you wanna diversify though, why have active pickups in both guitars?
Quote by griffin888
You said you might be getting a guitar with EMGs soon. If you wanna diversify though, why have active pickups in both guitars?

He probably doesn't want to rewire his whole guitar...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by griffin888

Because active pickups don't all sound the same. That's like saying "Why have Passives in more than one guitar? Get diversity!"
Quote by Wisthekiller
Because active pickups don't all sound the same. That's like saying "Why have Passives in more than one guitar? Get diversity!"

Not really, actives typically only do one thing very well across the board, while passives are made so many different ways and can cover so many different styles and outputs, you can't compare.

Get either one dude, they are about the same, just everybody doesn't want to be a EMG fanboy, so they go for Blackouts.
Quote by griffin888

This. Blackouts are barely different than EMGs.
Now correct me if I'm wrong someone but Active pickups aren't affected by the type of wood on your guitar, so really no matter what you put them in they'll sound the same pretty much.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Now correct me if I'm wrong someone but Active pickups aren't affected by the type of wood on your guitar, so really no matter what you put them in they'll sound the same pretty much.

No, they are affected by them. But a good EQ pedal can provide enough tonal control to negate the difference.
Quote by Wisthekiller

It's hardly like that all. Not saying all actives are the same, but he's not really going to diversify his tone between the two guitars if one has EMGs and the other SD Blackouts, compared to say, EMG/Blackouts in one, and (just an example) PAFs in the other.
Last edited by griffin888 at Oct 18, 2011,
yes. i have a les paul studio with black outs, its awesome do it,
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Active pickups are the most versatile pickups you can get. Hands down. You just need to understand how they work, and have the gear and knowledge to work them.

Actives are kind of like modeling amps. They can do anything you want them to, but in some cases, they won't do it as well as a specialized set of passives will.

Wood makes as much difference with actives as it does with passives. Don't let anyone with limited experience or anyone who just repeats what they read online tell you otherwise.

As far as which ones, that's completely personal preference, but IMO, when it comes to how organic they sound, EMG X > Blackouts > EMG. If you want full on, brutal compression, reverse the order of that list. None are "better" than the other, but they are all different. Youtube is your friend.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 19, 2011,
Blackouts never do. Put a P94 in there, buddy.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
If you're going to use it for metal then really there's not enough of a difference between EMGs, EMG Xs and Blackouts to bother changing around. Under high gain they all sound more or less the same, at least they sound close enough that it's not worth spending the money on a new set of them to swap one for the other.

If you might use the guitar for more regular rock tones or even blues then Blackouts might be okay. EMG X pickups do the same thing as Blackouts though but have more variations so if a rock tone was what you were really after the EMG Xs will be better for you than Blacouts. Try a EMG 60AX or 58X.
Blackouts in the Lp will sound great. No doubt about it.

But, this EMG vs Blackouts debate is damn pointless. I use EMG's because I like the compressed sound and the pronounced mids. There are many players who choose EMG's because they dont want organic sounding pickups. Blackouts are targeted at players with totally different needs.

A set of passives can have just as much ballz as a set of EMG's, so thats why I'm not fond of an active that sounds passive. Just my pov though.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett