I am talking about humbuckers with no covers on them...ie Seymour Dunc's AHP2 or Dimarzio Super Distortion..etc. My stock LP humbuckers had the nickel cover on them. When I switched to the SD APH2 on both neck and bridge, they hum with gain on 6. My ibanez 370DX's INF humbuckers are hum free. They are both open style humbuckers. BTW, the amp does not hum with no guitar plugged or guitar cable only plugged in. I've shielded both control cavities but same results.
The cover is just there to look cool and keep sweat from getting into the coils. It has no effect on hum. Supersac is probably right.
I've even shielded the cavity of my Fender Strat Amer stand. Star grounded and all. Hums too but louder than my LP. How do I star ground my LP given that my PUP wires are braided shielded wires.
Quote by iridium02
I've even shielded the cavity of my Fender Strat Amer stand. Star grounded and all. Hums too but louder than my LP. How do I star ground my LP given that my PUP wires are braided shielded wires.

Star grounding doesn't do a whole lot if you have a serious hum issue. Do you have a solid ground to the bridge?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
solid as a rock. Funny thing is, my Ibanez is open humbucker and is silent on full gain.
If they're four wire pick ups are you sure you've wired tham in correctly? You haven't joined the wrong wires and made them single coils? I know it's a daft question but I have no idea how competent you are yet lol.
I installed Seymour Duncan APH2's. They are the single shielded cable with one hot wire inside. The shield is grounded to the volume pot and the hotwire to the volume pot terminal. My soldering is perfect. The bridge ground wire is soldered to the copper shield. the selector, control, and jack outputs have been shielded. Continuity checked with multimeter. I shielded the ibanez and the strat the same way. The strat has the texas special pups in em. The strat being the noisiest, les paul, then the ibanez being quiet. I'm wondering if I have to shield the tunnel that connects the selector cavity to the control cavity.
BTW, thanks for the the responses!