Page 1 of 2
1x12 combo or stack
20 watts at most (I have a 32 watt amp right now, and I can't use the overdrive channel because even with the gain cranked, it gets too loud before I get a worthwhile overdrive
Effects loop (one thing I'm picky about, I've gotten used to how my delays and reverbs sound in the loop)
1 channel (seems like it would be more simple, I never use a 100% clean sound
Price range of $500 (more or less. I'm not in a huge hurry for a new amp)

And just for the quick read
Budget? $500ish
Genres? Worship, modern rock, pop-punk, a wee bit of country and blues
New or Used? Either way
Home or Gig? Gigging just about every week, but wattage hasn't been an issue
Closest City?Lincoln, Nebraska
Current Gear? sig
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
yes
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Jet City 20 watt combo? Or the JCA22 (which has two channels but I think is a better all around amp)
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Do you have any other problems with your Palomino besides that you can't crank it? If that's the only problem you might just want to get a nice overdrive instead of a whole new amp, you have a pretty good amp as it is. I have the same amp and that's what I do, especially when I'm just playing in my room.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by namesroverrated
Do you have any other problems with your Palomino besides that you can't crank it? If that's the only problem you might just want to get a nice overdrive instead of a whole new amp, you have a pretty good amp as it is. I have the same amp and that's what I do, especially when I'm just playing in my room.

Thats what I do right now (Clean channel with my CM-2 always on). I just really like the idea of having my amp's overdrive be my foundation, and building from that. Almost as a rule, I prefer amp OD over OD from a pedal. Also, while I don't hate the Palomino, it doesn't really have a "distinctive" sound, which is probably more me being whiny/picky than anything. I got a local amp tech recommended to me, so I'm going to take it into him and look into possibly modding it (plus fixing the overheating issue with it. Does yours overheat super quickly?)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
the V32 does need a mod so that the drive channel isn't so dark sounding. just get that done and you should be good to go. the difference sound wise between a 30 watt amp and a 20 isn't much (not enough for you to really notice) so that won't really help you. if you want a distinctive sound don't blame the amp you have to work on a combo of tone settings and fx that make you distinctive no amp can do that.
+1 to jet city. they sound great.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I'm pretty sure the HT series uses op-amp SS components FYI.

Why does everyone get so caught up in the fact that the HT series isnt quite 100% tube and overlook the fact that they sound fantastic? If it sounds good why does it matter?
I overlook them because they sound like crap
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
With jet city you're going to have to sacrifice having a single channel or an fx loop. The two channel jca22h is shaping up to be pretty kickass anyway so i wouldnt complain. The one channel 20 watter doesnt have an fx loop. I own one of the jca2112rc combos
Quote by jon.peebles
Why does everyone get so caught up in the fact that the HT series isnt quite 100% tube and overlook the fact that they sound fantastic? If it sounds good why does it matter?

Because they market them either directly or indirectly as all tube... And I don't buy from companies that sell marketing hype more than products...

If it were called a hybrid I don't think anyone would care or complain, then your argument would be valid... Since they misrepresent it we get pissed.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I'm pretty sure the HT series uses op-amp SS components FYI.

I'd go thru with the mods like monwobobbo is saying and tweak from there. The Palo should, on paper, be everything you need.

How's that cork smell, 311?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Oct 19, 2011,
^^ I'm the last person you can consider a cork sniffer. I also own a Vypyr and a 1 watt Blackheart and have otherwise pretty average gear.

Quote by jon.peebles

I agree. It doesn't matter.

My comment was more geared to rv_phoenix who just an hour ago, had gone into great detail about why one should get an all tube amp. That hybrids are no good. I just wanted to make sure he knew the facts.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 19, 2011,
Because they market them either directly or indirectly as all tube... And I don't buy from companies that sell marketing hype more than products...

I've never seen anything marketing them as all tube. Music Trades magazine did an interview of the guys that started Blackstar in which one of the founders talks a little bit about the "clever op amp circuitry" used in the HT-5. If they were trying to market the HT amps as all tube, they probably would have left out that bit of info.

If it were called a hybrid I don't think anyone would care or complain, then your argument would be valid... Since they misrepresent it we get pissed.

If it were a hybrid, then your argument would be valid. But it's not. A hybrid is either a tube preamp into a solid state power amp or vice versa. A tube amp with additional solid state curcuitry is well....a tube amp with additional solid state circuitry. And that is what their HT amps are.
Your post SCREAMS "Jet City JCA20..." it's exactly what I think you're looking for.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by jon.peebles

If it were a hybrid, then your argument would be valid. But it's not. A hybrid is either a tube preamp into a solid state power amp or vice versa. A tube amp with additional solid state curcuitry is well....a tube amp with additional solid state circuitry. And that is what their HT amps are.

hy·brid/ˈhīˌbrid/
Noun:
A thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.
Adjective:
Of mixed character; composed of mixed parts.

wat
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by coolstoryangus
With jet city you're going to have to sacrifice having a single channel or an fx loop. The two channel jca22h is shaping up to be pretty kickass anyway so i wouldnt complain. The one channel 20 watter doesnt have an fx loop. I own one of the jca2112rc combos

I'm like 90% sure that the newer JCA20 either come with an fx loop or have the option to add one on for like $50. I have one of the first run models though and you're right - it doesn't have a loop. I might add one some day when I'm not feeling lazy and have a little extra cash.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
I'm like 90% sure that the newer JCA20 either come with an fx loop or have the option to add one on for like $50. I have one of the first run models though and you're right - it doesn't have a loop. I might add one some day when I'm not feeling lazy and have a little extra cash.

Ya, it's available as an upgrade when ordering from Jet City.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by jon.peebles
I've never seen anything marketing them as all tube. Music Trades magazine did an interview of the guys that started Blackstar in which one of the founders talks a little bit about the "clever op amp circuitry" used in the HT-5. If they were trying to market the HT amps as all tube, they probably would have left out that bit of info.

not trying to pick a fight here so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I'm not an amp tech. I did however - take quite a bit of marketing and psychology in college and am in technical sales now.

From what I remember, the Blackstar web site used to tout them as all tube. I'm only talking about the HT series. I'm sure the Venue and Artisians etc are completely different. Those founders you are talking about used to work at Marshall and from I've learned - were responsible for amps like the JCM 900. Them not bringing it up in an interview doesn't really mean all that much. What Blackstar has advertised in the past is what gets people sandy in the crotch. I noticed the web site now says 'carefully voiced preamp' or something like that

Also - I think the term 'hybrid' is up for interpretation but imo - if it uses solid state components to create distortion (or is in the signal path) then it is a hybrid in my opinion. Solid state rectifiers, Midi or channel controllers, or other such components do not count.

The HT-20 has 2 power tubes and 2 - 12AX7 preamp tubes. One of those has to be the phase inverter. That leaves one 12AX7 to handle the entire preamp. If one half of that preamp handles the cleans, then that leaves one half a preamp tube for the distortion.

like I said, I'm not a tech. I did find some gut shots though - maybe someone else knows more

One of those, I think the last one is the HT-40

In the end it depends on what your ears tell you. Most of the clips I've heard sound decent enough.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 19, 2011,
hy·brid/ˈhīˌbrid/
Noun:
A thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.
Adjective:
Of mixed character; composed of mixed parts.

If we're talking about guitar amps, 'hybrid' refers to an amp with either a tube preamp into a solid state power amp, or a solid state preamp into a tube power amp. Calling any amp with any solid state circuitry a hybrid is a good way to get people to stop listening to you. Would you call a 50 watt plexi a hybrid amp? Would you call a Dual Rec a hybrid amp? No.
No, hybrid is a non-defined term when dealing with guitar amps. It makes sense then to use it's denotative definition. Of course an old Plexi is a hybrid. Of course a Dual Rec is a hybrid. It uses both solid state and tube technology. The beef with the Blackstar is that it uses what basically amounts to a couple of op amp gain stages into a modded Tubescreamer into 2 tube stages, a BJT phase inverter and then into a push pull power amp that uses tubes. The distortion elements are ALL coming from a pair of clipping diodes in an op amp's feedback loop until you really crank the amp up and the power tubes (and also the BJT phase inverters :puke start to distort at the grid.

And speaking the truth is a good way to get people to stop listening to me? Really? Cause the WTLT says otherwise.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Shinozoku
How's that cork smell, 311?

Ah, the corksniffer comment. People sniff the cork to make sure the cork hasn't gone rotten. It's not to judge the quality of the wine, just to prevent putting rotten, bacteria laden wine in their mouth. You sir, have just revealed yourself to be an ignorant peasant. Now crawl back into your cave and leave the discussion to people with an education.

Hybrid is an ancient term that defines anything that comes from heterogeneous sources. In this case those two sources are vacuum tubes and semiconductors. That's it. Mix the two technologies in the amplifier and you have a hybrid. Why is this so hard for some of you guys? As Min would say, "are you home-schooled?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 19, 2011,
To 311ZOSOVHJH, I do see your point about the term hybrid being subjective. If you ask me, a hybrid amp is an amp that has either a SS pre or power amp in place of a tube section. Whether or not that is a technical definition I can't say, but I can't remember ever seeing any amp classified as a hybrid that didn't fit that description. My main point in all this is that the people who automatically recommend avoiding an amp just because it has some solid state circuitry are giving a lot of bad advice. Sure, the HT series use a LOT more solid state components than a lot of other tube amps out there, but that's a dumb reason to avoid an amp that sounds great.
Quote by jon.peebles
To 311ZOSOVHJH, I do see your point about the term hybrid being subjective. If you ask me, a hybrid amp is an amp that has either a SS pre or power amp in place of a tube section. Whether or not that is a technical definition I can't say, but I can't remember ever seeing any amp classified as a hybrid that didn't fit that description. My main point in all this is that the people who automatically recommend avoiding an amp just because it has some solid state circuitry are giving a lot of bad advice. Sure, the HT series use a LOT more solid state components than a lot of other tube amps out there, but that's a dumb reason to avoid an amp that sounds great.

You showed the actual meaning of hybrid and then give us your own definition instead? Are you drunk?
An amp with a SS rectifier can be called a tube amplifier because it depends on how one defines "amplifier", not the definition of "hybrid". It can be argued that power supply is not the amplifier. One could draw a block diagram with amplifier, power supply and speaker. In that sort of block diagram one could argue that the amplifier block and the power supply are separate entities. Stick both tube and SS in the amplifier block and you have no wriggle room - it's a hybrid, end of story.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jon.peebles

you have no clue what you are talking about.

The preamp and the power amp are two separate things.

if you take away the power amp the preamp still works and if you take away the preamp the power amp still works.

That's not hybrid. that's combination.

if you take out the solid state signal components in a blackstar ht series none of it works.

that's why it's hybrid.

not to mention that the amp sounds like shit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by jon.peebles

Right. I agree it is a dumb reason to avoid an amp. I own and recommend the Peavey Vypyr 60 all of time. Def hybrid. Fender SuperChamp is another good example. Buy with your ears - not your eyes. How do you classify the Vox Valvetronix with one preamp tube? Is that a hybrid?

The HT is using some solid state components to replace what otherwise would be preamp tubes I'm guessing. Therefore - it is a hybrid. Basically like Cathbard, Min and Matt are saying. Now, if someone doesn't want to buy it based solely on it being a hybrid - that's their deal. Some people like the simplicity of an all tube circuit. They are easier to troubleshoot and work on.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by kyle62
Egnater Tweaker?

(Invalid img)

bam.

right there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I often recommend the JCM900 Dual Reverb to punks and it's a hybrid. Sure they are better if you mod some of the SS stuf out of there but they still make a great punk amp. No way you'll ever hear me call it a valve amp and calling it one did Marshall a world of hurt. I dare say that was why the Blackstar guys went their separate ways; they brought Marshall into disrepute by calling a hybrid a valve amp when it clearly wasn't to anybody that took a look inside.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The HT series sounds really mediocre. The hybrid shenanigans are just the icing on the cake.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Fair enough. I'll admit it does seem that I've bought into a lot of the hype, whether I like it or not. I'll consider it a lesson learned, despite my apparent efforts otherwise. Whatever the case, I'm still a big fan of my HT40.
took a look at the guts of the ht40 and it's a little better then say the ht1 but it's still got solid state phase inverters.

op amps and transistors all over the signal path.

actually now having looked at all 3 amps I'm pretty sure that the pre of the entire ht40 series is based on the jcm900 or is the jcm900.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Right. I agree it is a dumb reason to avoid an amp. I own and recommend the Peavey Vypyr 60 all of time. Def hybrid. Fender SuperChamp is another good example. Buy with your ears - not your eyes. How do you classify the Vox Valvetronix with one preamp tube? Is that a hybrid?

The HT is using some solid state components to replace what otherwise would be preamp tubes I'm guessing. Therefore - it is a hybrid. Basically like Cathbard, Min and Matt are saying. Now, if someone doesn't want to buy it based solely on it being a hybrid - that's their deal. Some people like the simplicity of an all tube circuit. They are easier to troubleshoot and work on.

just for the record the Valvetronix uses the tube in the power amp section not the preamp. Marshall valvestate and AVT amps have the tube in the preamp section.
Page 1 of 2