Poll: Do you think that the God switch can be turned on once turned off?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think that the God switch can be turned on once turned off?
Yes, you can believe in God again.
117 52%
No, I think it stays that way.
45 20%
Tacos y burritos
65 29%
Voters: 227.
Page 1 of 3
Can you go back to believing in God (if at all you did since you remember thought), once you've pulled the God switch to 'off' in your head? Is it possible, and has anyone ever done it?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
When I went to church more regularly, every once in a while there'd be a special sermon/speaker/whatever, and at least two or three of them had flipped it back on, and used that as a talking point for whatever they were talking about.

It's possible, but pretty uncommon, I'd imagine.
Not likely, but it happens sometimes.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
In my years on this planet amongst its people, I've learned many things, but none so well as the fickle nature of man.

Short answer? Yes. Why? Because people don't generally know what they want or why, and a moment's suffering/success is enough to blame/attribute to a god.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
You'd have pretty shitty faith if you just changed your mind every now and then.
God probably wouldn't appreciate that and you will have wasted your life with religion just to be sent to Hell.
Or not...whatever
I think it's down to the person and if they are open to it... if you aren't well then it might take a miracle...
---
if you are an atheist for all the wrong reasons then yes, i can see how you can be persuaded back into being a theist.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of one reason why it would.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
happened with Dave Mustaine
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
It's a classic story plot, priest/person loses his/her faith, goes on an adventure, bad stuff happens but somehow the priest/person rises to the occasion and saves the day which in turn causes him/her to regain his/her faith again.

I should imagine that some religious people actualy do occasionaly lose their faith and regain it again at a later date, otherwise, what would Hollywood base it off?

Quote by Waterboy799
if you are an atheist for all the wrong reasons then yes, i can see how you can be persuaded back into being a theist.

Just out of interest, what would you call a "wrong reason" for being an atheist?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
Being hateful towards a god you still believe in, but hate?

Doesn't quite work, because if that person hates said god, then they technically still believe in it. They just hate it.
I believe it's possible. Mine has never been flipped on though, and I can't see it ever doing so. Doesn't mean it can't be true for others. A truly traumatic experience can oftentimes lead an individual to god during a time of extreme lows. I guess it's just human nature.
Quote by captaincrunk
But they'll bullshit and claim to be an atheist.

I can say I'm a cactus, doesn't make it true.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Just out of interest, what would you call a "wrong reason" for being an atheist?

teen angst
it being the "cool" thing to do

that's 2 bad reasons off the top of my head
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I don't think so, at least, not for me. It probably depends on the reason for not believing. Someone who says "The world is too cruel for any kind of loving god to exist" can easily have their faith restored, but someone who makes the decision on a logical basis would have a hard time believing.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I'm not trying to generalize all atheists here, but I've met plenty of atheists who exhibit similar anti-societal tendencies, and most of those who I've met only seem to deny the existence of a god because it's contrary to the norm. These people are also completely ignorant when it comes to religion in the first place, so they can't say it's their knowledge that led them to atheism. Many of these people seem to think they're smarter than they actually are.

But then you have the sensible atheists, who don't have APD and do know the rhyme to their reason. I've just met far less of them.
Yes. I was in a bad car accident last year. I've gone to church my whole life but had recently stopped believing. I walked away from wrapping my car around a telephone pole at 45 mph with scratches on my face and hands. The pole hit my drivers door and smashed it up to my chest. The police officer said that I should've broken most of my ribs on my left side. The cop even said that if I don't believe in God, I should because there had to of been someone up there that cared about me. It sounds corny, but there had to of been someone watching over me or something to walk away from that.
I throw myself into the sea,
Release the wave,
Let it wash over me
To face the fears, I once believed
Tears of the Dragon, for you, and for me...
If their mind is as easy to manipulate as a switch is, then yes.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by 1337s933k
Yes. I was in a bad car accident last year. I've gone to church my whole life but had recently stopped believing. I walked away from wrapping my car around a telephone pole at 45 mph with scratches on my face and hands. The pole hit my drivers door and smashed it up to my chest. The police officer said that I should've broken most of my ribs on my left side. The cop even said that if I don't believe in God, I should because there had to of been someone up there that cared about me. It sounds corny, but there had to of been someone watching over me or something to walk away from that.

God works in mysterious ways. Ways that are mysteriously similar to random chance.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Guys, I thought we ran out of chips, but when I checked, we still had chips. There had to of been someone watching over me or something to walk away from that with chips.
I used to be an atheist, about 4 years ago I got into a wreck that I should not have been able to walk away from, that kicked it back in for me and its stuck with ever since.
Quote by 1337s933k

So if someone gets into an awful wreck and dies a long painful death, does that mean someone up there doesn't give a fuck about them? Or perhaps hates them?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Waterboy799
teen angst
it being the "cool" thing to do

that's 2 bad reasons off the top of my head

I see your point, but isn't that putting atheism in a catigory of a fashionable 'label'.
To my mind, someone who calls themselves an atheist just because it's fashionable to do so without at least attempting to reason why they don't believe in the existence of gods isn't actualy an atheist.

That said, yeah, I suppose that makes it a "wrong reason" for being an atheist.

Quote by jetfuel495

I'm not trying to generalize all atheists here, but I've met plenty of atheists who exhibit similar anti-societal tendencies, and most of those who I've met only seem to deny the existence of a god because it's contrary to the norm.

How is denying the existence of a god contrary to the norm? No one is born with a theism of any kind, religion is cultural, it's something that's learned not something that's naturaly occuring.

And besides, I'm sure there are lots of gods that you don't believe exist, essentially making you an atheist towards those gods. Are your beliefs of the non-existence of these other gods contrary to the norm?

Quote by fail
So if someone gets into an awful wreck and dies a long painful death, does that mean someone up there doesn't give a fuck about them? Or perhaps hates them?

That's the same logic that the Westrbo Baptist Church use.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 19, 2011,
I'd say a wrong reason for being an atheist is thinking God doesn't exist just because he's evil and there's suffering in the world. That wouldn't mean he doesn't exist, just that if he does he's a prick.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
First and foremost, Obama is a cactus.

I've gone back and forth numerous times. In large group settings, or in online conversations it's easy for me to denounce a god or any deity. But for some reason as I find myself alone and submerge in thoughts, I just feel as if there is something greater out there. I understand and accept evolution and science but the fact that I'm a living, breathing, thinking being just perplexes me.

EDIT : I also think that the existence of "evil" in the world is not a reason to disregard a deity. If you believe in a God you must believe in a Devil as well....
yeah maybe if crystal meth is involved
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
You can always believe in stupid old shit if you should so desire.

That's why we have God Warrior and hipsters. (because 50%+0.001% = extra cool & must have)
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

I've gone back and forth numerous times. In large group settings, or in online conversations it's easy for me to denounce a god or any deity. But for some reason as I find myself alone and submerge in thoughts, I just feel as if there is something greater out there. I understand and accept evolution and science but the fact that I'm a living, breathing, thinking being just perplexes me.

This, I know that I threw the concept of any entities besides humans in the dumpster from hearing religious people talk.

However, the older I get the weirder I find it that the universe and people were created by absolutely nothing, it just happens over what we call time, which is relative in of itself.

I still believe that looking for a single religion of pure or absolute truth and treasure, or more dangerously, believing you found it, is the least useful way to seek answers to these matters.
I've never really been religious and I highly doubt I could ever be a committed religious person in my life.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

If you believe in a God you must believe in a Devil as well....

Not necessarily, there are, and have historicaly been, many cultures that have a form of religion but don't believe in a 'devil' figure.

According to early Judaism for instance, Satan (or 'ha-Satan' "the opposer" as he was known) was under God's control and couldn't act without God's permission, meaning that Satan himself wasn't actualy evil but simply carrying out God's instruction. An example of this view of Satan can be found in the Book of Job where Satan is a member of the divine council, "the sons of God" who are subservient to God. In the Book of Job Satan is charged by God to tempt humans and to report back to God all who go against His decrees.
He tempted Job under God's orders, so that would necessitate any "evil" in the act of temptation as coming from God himself, but considering that God is considered as containing no evil, then the evil must originate with the humans who let themselves be tempted.

It's always possible to consider "evil" as a purely man made product, atheists do it all the time.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Not necessarily, there are, and have historicaly been, many cultures that have a form of religion but don't believe in a 'devil' figure.

According to early Judaism for instance, Satan (or 'ha-Satan' "the opposer" as he was known) was under God's control and couldn't act without God's permission, meaning that Satan himself wasn't actualy evil but simply carrying out God's instruction. An example of this view of Satan can be found in the Book of Job where Satan is a member of the divine council, "the sons of God" who are subservient to God. In the Book of Job Satan is charged by God to tempt humans and to report back to God all who go against His decrees.
He tempted Job under God's orders, so that would necessitate any "evil" in the act of temptation as coming from God himself, but considering that God is considered as containing no evil, then the evil must originate with the humans who let themselves be tempted.

It's always possible to consider "evil" as a purely man made product, atheists do it all the time.

TL DR ; Kinda like The Devil is a servant to God who tempts the world and reports back who buys into it? Interesting...

That's true. You can consider both "good" and "evil" as purely man made. But I encounter so many Atheists who point out Natural Disasters / Death by murder,accident etc as a reason to why God does not exist.
I say God doesn't exist because there is no empirical evidence to support it. I have no faith in a superior being and if I had a belief it's that one day everything will be explained by science. Whether that be in 10 years or a million. I think that humans will eventually leave this planet, ready to ruin a perfectly good galaxy!
Page 1 of 3