What r ur experiences w both ? What do the sdblack give that emgs dont and vice versa ? Hard not to be swayed by a brighter fuller emg thay sd claims ? Any guitars come w these ? Or r they just add on ?
I love my EMGS, but some just like Blackouts. This guy at the guitar store I frequent says they are like real quiet.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

EMGs are more compressed and sterile than Blackouts. They're just designed differently. A proper comparison would be EMG Xs to Blackouts. These two are basically the mid ground between active and passive pickups. They have the flat tonality and high output of actives, as well as sounding more organic and natural like passives.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I listened to some a an b comparisons on u tube 81 85 vs blackouts and the blackouts seemed to thump and punch more ? And do cleaner stuff better .
Yeah, Blackouts and EMG Xs have a bit more body to them, whereas regular EMG's are more cutting. And regular EMG's are worse at cleans, because of the extra compression.

Off the top of my head, I know Schecter ATX guitars have Blackouts.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Blackouts and EMG Xs have better matched coils and a more effecient preamp. The better preamp works like doing the 18v mod on regular EMGs. It means there's slightly less compression when you compare single notes vs chords. The matched coils mean you miss out on the very tips of the treble and bass that regular EMGs have but the mids ar increased a little. These two things are what make EMG Xs and Blackouts sound a little bit more like passive pickups.

Regular EMGs are obviously the opposite. Slightly more treble and bass and slightly less of a mid spike, single notes and chords come out closer to each other in volume.

If you use any kind of compression on your tone or if you scoop your mids then you're not really going to see any advantage in the X or Blackouts over regular EMGs. If you play around with your tone a lot and often use a more classic metal tone or ever play any kind of rock or blues then get Blackouts or EMG Xs.
Quote by Offworld92
EMGs are more compressed and sterile than Blackouts. They're just designed differently. A proper comparison would be EMG Xs to Blackouts. These two are basically the mid ground between active and passive pickups. They have the flat tonality and high output of actives, as well as sounding more organic and natural like passives.

this. emg's can be good, but i'd only personally recommend the x series. much better sounding. it has lushness, and balls to the walls power.
I mostly stay w lots Off effects distortion and delays , somewhere between janes addiction metallica and sound garden are the tOnes i like , i did notice when hitting some chords they sounded muddy
I've played regular EMG's, X's and Blackouts. TBH the X's felt the best by far. Currently only got normal EMGs, but I really didn't like the feeling of the blackouts. They also couldn't do clean without rolling off some volume on the guitar. I've been told that the X's sound pretty much the same as regular EMG's with the 18 volt mod. Don't know about that, as I haven't tried. Gonna do the 18v mod in a couple of weeks...
Quote by chaoscreation
I mostly stay w lots Off effects distortion and delays , somewhere between janes addiction metallica and sound garden are the tOnes i like , i did notice when hitting some chords they sounded muddy
If you use a lot of pedals then you'll want to use EMG X series pickups. They're the lowest impedance around which means they can go through a lot of pedals and cables without your signal weakening. Tone-wise EMG X pickups are the same as Blackouts but they have a few more options.

Either an EMG 81x or 85X would be good for you in the bridge and either a 85X or 60X in the neck.
I don't like Blackouts from every soundclip and review I've heard. Too much output and bass.

EMGs, however, I like. I use an 18v mod for it to increase the headroom. Beautiful cleans and distortion. They are not 'sterile'; they simply don't colour your tone. This gives you a perfect canvas to sculpt your sound.

EMG Xs? I like my 85X over my 808s, really. Bit less output and they sound more responsive to me. I would choose EMG Xs for sure.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
neither, Active pickups aren't my thing, But I have heard that the EMG X and Blackouts are very similar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
EMGs can take 27 volts max so you can actually add in a third 9V battery on top of the second for the 18V mod and get even more headroom. As mentioned dont bother with the 81/85 series as the 81x/85x are much better and there is also the option of the 89 or 89R which is your 85 but with two coils so you can tap it to a single or a humbucker.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I had EMG 81/60 and Blackouts. They all sounded good, dirty and clean. The difference I've heard is that the Blackouts had more bandwidth ie the bass goes deeper and the high higher. I liked the Blackouts over the EMG. No experiences with the Xs though.

EDIT: you do have to roll back the volume for the cleans. They have pretty high output so you roll 'em back to the paf level.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Oct 19, 2011,