Page 1 of 2
Hi. I've been searching for a new amp. The Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 caught my eye due to its relatively low price and versatility with the amp models. I was wondering if anybody has or has had this amp and could comment on its worth? Would it sound good at bedroom levels with a 2x12 or would I need something smaller?

I was also wondering how this modelling thing works. Apparently this amp is a hybrid as well?... so what does that mean for a guitar's natural tone?

And thanks for helping out this poor newbie....
I have a vypyr 75w amp and i love it. The tones great for the price, so I'd imagine that a 120w tube 120 head would sound incredible. You should be able to get away with playing it through a 2x12, but there wouldn't be any quiet setting unless you got a volume pedal. You'd either be playing it pretty loud (not to loud for bedroom levels though) or really loud.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I like the sound of the 120 due to the power tubes. Never tried a hybrid amp. And I love the sound of the versatility that this amp is supposed to have.
As all amps, this one will sound much better cranked up. If you remember we are talking about a 120W head, then you'll need to turn the volume knob lower than level 2, maybe at 1, if you want to play in a bedroom. At 1, no amp in the world sounds good. And no volume pedal will "extract" so much output so you can play in a bedroom at, let's say, 60W.
And, in fact, the Vypyr 120 head is, at a closer look, a sort of a non-sense. Being a modelling amp (with a tube in pre-amp, nothing more), it isn't useful for pro playing. But semi-pros or amateurs don't need so much power.
If I'm allowed to offer you an advice, this would be to think again about investing in such an extreme amp. At the same price, you can get a ValveKing combo, much better in terms of sound - because it's an all-tube - and easier to use in small rooms, like a bedroom or a small venue.
Hm, I guess you make a point there. But aren't they also 100 watts?
The vypyr has a full tube power amp and a 12ax7 phase inverter. The distortion also is generated through the use of analogue components. It is a very versatile, sounds very good, and is not a nonsense amp. Ask 311, the owner of a tube vypyr and a splawn. I think any guitarist who can appreciate the great tone of a splawn knows a bit about tone. Its a good choice, doesn't sound bad at bedroom levels, but of course it sounds better louder. A 2x12 would be fine, it wouldn't really change the volume that much in reference to a 1x12 with the same specs
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by rv_phoenix
As all amps, this one will sound much better cranked up. If you remember we are talking about a 120W head, then you'll need to turn the volume knob lower than level 2, maybe at 1, if you want to play in a bedroom. At 1, no amp in the world sounds good. And no volume pedal will "extract" so much output so you can play in a bedroom at, let's say, 60W.
And, in fact, the Vypyr 120 head is, at a closer look, a sort of a non-sense. Being a modelling amp (with a tube in pre-amp, nothing more), it isn't useful for pro playing. But semi-pros or amateurs don't need so much power.
If I'm allowed to offer you an advice, this would be to think again about investing in such an extreme amp. At the same price, you can get a ValveKing combo, much better in terms of sound - because it's an all-tube - and easier to use in small rooms, like a bedroom or a small venue.

nonsense....

60W is still much too loud..

0,1W is maybe even too loud...

just get it when you like it...

AFAIK it has a master volume and seperate channel volume.. so you'll be fine...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by rv_phoenix

From what Offworld and 311 have stated, their tube Vypyrs sound great at living room levels. Some people are selling their high gain tube amps to switch to vypyr tubes, that's says a lot about how they sound. I'm thinking about doing the same.

And you think modeling amps are only for home players? Might want to check out how many pro guitarists are using modelers now
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Hm, so many conflicting views...

Well are we safe to say there is no way of getting the 120 version at living room levels? T.T
Or there is?
Quote by Edox442

Well are we safe to say there is no way of getting the 120 version at living room levels? T.T
Or there is?

im only using my TriAmp at bedroom levels....
and it's 100W, not that much weaker than a 120W amp...

and a lot of pro musicians use the AXEfx now.. IIRC

just get it when you like it's sounds..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
unless you just want god stomping power, get the tube 60.

they both sound great.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Edox442

Or there is?

Not really conflicting views, just right ones and a really bad one

I can use my 6505 combo at living room levels and it sounds pretty damn good. As good as it can if I were able to use it at outdoor, un-mic'd gig levels? No, but pretty damn good all the same.

Let's see if 311 or Offworld will chime in. Offworld had said in older threads that he pretty much stopped using his 6505 in favor of his vypyr. And is now selling his 6505. Pretty much all of the folks that have posted about their tube vypyrs have said that they sound just as good or _better_ than their high gain valve amps for home levels.

Really not much difference in raw volume between 100 and 120w (well if they are both SS or both tube). There wouldn't even be a 1dB difference. In the all tube world, that extra 20w just translates into a little more headroom for cleans before you get tube breakup. But for the vypyrs, it's a little more complicated in the difference since the 100w uses a solid state amp where the 120w head (or 120 2x12 combo) uses 4x 6L6 valves for power.

For pure home use, you could always save the money and just go with the 60w 1x12 tube combo version. You can get the 60 combo + sanpera II switch for close to the same cost of just the 120w head. If you're looking at spending $500-600, I'd probably just not even bother looking at the non tube 30, 75 and 100w vypyrs. But if you want more low end thump, then by all means go with the 120w head and a nice 2x12 cab. It's just going to cost you more.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
From what Offworld and 311 have stated, their tube Vypyrs sound great at living room levels. Some people are selling their high gain tube amps to switch to vypyr tubes, that's says a lot about how they sound. I'm thinking about doing the same.

And you think modeling amps are only for home players? Might want to check out how many pro guitarists are using modelers now

I didn't mean anything about Vypyr's sound, but I do play in a large living room and my 15 (all-tube) W are far more than my ears can stand. I also play the amp in small clubs and it can cover any average drummer. Only when I go to larger venues I have to mic it. And it's just 15 W. Imagine 120. (I know it: I've played for months on a 72 W combo: I never succeeded to turn the volume knob beyond noon, in the same venues I now have to mic my Vox.)
As for the pros using modelling amps, don't bother: none of the top 100 pro-players is using modelling amps for pro playing (Steve Vai is advertising for Fender's G-Dec, but I saw him live thrice and no trace of a G-Dec into his stage equipment). Mostly because they are used to natural sounds, instead of emulated ones, but also because they can afford any amp or pedal in the world. So why would they buy a cheap digital toy? If you had their money and their needs, would you prefer an emulated Fender Twin reverb instead of a real one? Be honest. I don't think you would.
actually alot of professional musicians use the AXE FX, which is nothing but a bigass modeler.

your arguement about volume is true, i play a 120 watt all tube combo in my house as a "practice amp". Yeah, i can't crank it, but it still sounds sick. all the clips in my profile were recorded at bedroom volumes (first two are the newest, and therefore the best)
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Edox442
Hm. So would a 120 combo be as loud as a 120 head and 2x12 cab?

Output is not the only criterium. Because 120W of a SS amp aren't equal, in terms of volume, to 120W of an all-tube (and it's the same with modelling amps, since they only emulate the sounds, not the output). All-tubes are much louder than SS amps, at the same wattage.
But if you ask me about a 120W all-tube combo and a 120 W all-tube head plus cabinet (112, 212, 412), the answer would be: yes, the combo and the head cum cabinet have the same output, if the cabinet works at the same impedance as the head, no, the combo will be louder if the cabinet works at higher impedance (you know that a head shouldn't be used with a cab of a lower impedance). A 120W head operating at 16 ohms will result in a 60W of power if you put it into a 32 ohms cabinet.
Quote by Gundamnitpete
actually alot of professional musicians use the AXE FX, which is nothing but a bigass modeler.

your arguement about volume is true, i play a 120 watt all tube combo in my house as a "practice amp". Yeah, i can't crank it, but it still sounds sick. all the clips in my profile were recorded at bedroom volumes (first two are the newest, and therefore the best)

Eric Clapton? Jeff Beck? David Gilmour? Joe Bonamassa? Joe Satriani? Pat Metheny? Yngwie? Ritchie Blackmore? Steve Howe? Steve Hackett? Robert Fripp? Adrian Belew? Rudolf Schenker? Adrian Smith? Angus Young? Mark Knopfler? Jimmy Page?
We are talking about guitar masters, not simple pros with accidental entrances to charts. None of these above uses digital modelling amps, for obvious reasons.
But, once again, this is not the issue. The issue is about output. Assuming you live alone, 10 km away from any form of human life, and you should still avoid using 120W at home. Ask Pete Townshend about how he lost his hearing.
By pure SPL at max power, you would have hearing problems even with a 1w valve amp, or a 10w SS amp. A 120w head is NOT 120 louder than a 1w amp, the relationship between power and SPL is not linear. Nothing wrong with not using an amp's full rated power.

It comes down to the best sounding gear that you're willing to buy for using at home.

PS, you might want to look into the artists that are using the Fractal AxeFX modelers, you might be shocked Obviously they are in a different price point than a $450 modeler, but modeling has come a long ways in the last 10 years.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by rv_phoenix
Eric Clapton? Jeff Beck? David Gilmour? Joe Bonamassa? Joe Satriani? Pat Metheny? Yngwie? Ritchie Blackmore? Steve Howe? Steve Hackett? Robert Fripp? Adrian Belew? Rudolf Schenker? Adrian Smith? Angus Young? Mark Knopfler? Jimmy Page?
We are talking about guitar masters, not simple pros with accidental entrances to charts. None of these above uses digital modelling amps, for obvious reasons.
But, once again, this is not the issue. The issue is about output. Assuming you live alone, 10 km away from any form of human life, and you should still avoid using 120W at home. Ask Pete Townshend about how he lost his hearing.

You just listed a bunch of people YOU like. Doesn't mean a thing to me. The axe fx has been proven time and time again, into right hands it's a great peice of gear.

Please, go look it up. Plenty of guitar masters playing through an axe fx.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Many of the players I've quoted aren't my favorite (almost half of them). But, if you love music, you have to recognize value no matter where it apears, even in places you don't thread too often. The fact these names don't mean a thing to you should be respected as your opinion, no more than that. Fact is they are universally ackowledged as masters, and the choices they make are presumably based on a larger exprience than ours. They are no compulsory, of course, however we can't just ignore them, at least as a refference for our own choices.
Your toy might be very good for you. It doesn't change the fact that no real great player uses modelling amps. I repeat, for obvious reasons. For the same reasons a great pro driver doesn't drive a Dodge, but a Porsche. Although Dodge has make quite a few good cars lately.
Quote by rv_phoenix
you'll need to turn the volume knob lower than level 2, maybe at 1, if you want to play in a bedroom.

Really?

Quote by rv_phoenix
At 1, no amp in the world sounds good.

I disagree.

Quote by rv_phoenix
And no volume pedal will "extract" so much output so you can play in a bedroom at, let's say, 60W.

That's interesting. My volume pedal worked great at lowering the volume.

Quote by rv_phoenix

And, in fact, the Vypyr 120 head is, at a closer look, a sort of a non-sense.

Why?

Quote by rv_phoenix
Being a modelling amp (with a tube in pre-amp, nothing more)

The Vypyr 60/120 has a power tube section.

Quote by rv_phoenix
it isn't useful for pro playing. But semi-pros or amateurs don't need so much power.

Why is that again?

Quote by rv_phoenix
I do play in a large living room and my 15 (all-tube) W are far more than my ears can stand. I also play the amp in small clubs and it can cover any average drummer.

15w may be great for rock and blues, but not hard rock, hardcore, metal, metalcore, punk, death metal, prog, mathcore, etc, etc, etc

ie. Vypyrs are geared toward metal players mostly

Quote by rv_phoenix
As for the pros using modelling amps, don't bother: none of the top 100 pro-players is using modelling amps for pro playing

Really?

Quote by rv_phoenix
Because 120W of a SS amp aren't equal, in terms of volume, to 120W of an all-tube

True - but we are not talking about a 120w SS amp

Quote by rv_phoenix
no, the combo will be louder if the cabinet works at higher impedance. A 120W head operating at 16 ohms will result in a 60W of power if you put it into a 32 ohms cabinet.

What?

Quote by rv_phoenix

Not sure what this is supposed to prove. Amps are designed with high wattage not for volume, but for headroom. You should know that.

Quote by rv_phoenix
Fact is they are universally ackowledged as masters, and the choices they make are presumably based on a larger exprience than ours.
Your toy might be very good for you. It doesn't change the fact that no real great player uses modelling amps. For the same reasons a great pro driver doesn't drive a Dodge, but a Porsche. Although Dodge has make quite a few good cars lately.

So...

Marty Friedman, Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Chris Broderick, Tommy Shaw, Pete Thorn, Steve Stevens, Neal Schon, etc are not masters of their instruments and tone? Do you think these guys would use a modeler if they didn't like the tone they were getting?

PS: You recommended a Peavey Valveking for tone? I owned a Valveking and replaced it with a Vypry 60. The Valvekings are good entry level tube amps but the Vypry 60 spews tone cum all over it.
^thank GAWD!
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I guess 311 has chimed in on this thread
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
I have a vypyr 75w amp and i love it. The tones great for the price, so I'd imagine that a 120w tube 120 head would sound incredible. You should be able to get away with playing it through a 2x12, but there wouldn't be any quiet setting unless you got a volume pedal. You'd either be playing it pretty loud (not to loud for bedroom levels though) or really loud.
Uhh... no.

It has a volume knob for a reason. There's no reason you would have to crank the amp unless you want power tube saturation.

"You can't play quiet without a volume pedal", I'm sorry but that probably has to be the stupidest serious statement I've heard during my entire time on this site.

EDIT: Never mind, this entire post is:

Quote by rv_phoenix

Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by DarthV
I guess 311 has chimed in on this thread

he did more than just "chime in" hahha
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by rv_phoenix
Many of the players I've quoted aren't my favorite (almost half of them). But, if you love music, you have to recognize value no matter where it apears, even in places you don't thread too often. The fact these names don't mean a thing to you should be respected as your opinion, no more than that. Fact is they are universally ackowledged as masters, and the choices they make are presumably based on a larger exprience than ours. They are no compulsory, of course, however we can't just ignore them, at least as a refference for our own choices.
Your toy might be very good for you. It doesn't change the fact that no real great player uses modelling amps. I repeat, for obvious reasons. For the same reasons a great pro driver doesn't drive a Dodge, but a Porsche. Although Dodge has make quite a few good cars lately.

I lol'd
All the haters have been silenced after 311's dramatic and obnoxiously literal comments.

I commend you good sir!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
wow. I say that to the dude, he ignores me. 311 says it, and bam! gone. Its cuz you gots the better avatar and da splawns. but yeah ts, vypyr 60 is awesome, Im probably gonna get one soon as well, as soon as my current amp sells. go with the combo, its sweet.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So...

Marty Friedman, Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Chris Broderick, Tommy Shaw, Pete Thorn, Steve Stevens, Neal Schon, etc are not masters of their instruments and tone? Do you think these guys would use a modeler if they didn't like the tone they were getting?

PS: You recommended a Peavey Valveking for tone? I owned a Valveking and replaced it with a Vypry 60. The Valvekings are good entry level tube amps but the Vypry 60 spews tone cum all over it.

+311 to everything said here.

The Valveking comment made me laugh. Vypyr 60 is so much better than the VK, it's not even funny
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
dude, mclaw got a new avatar. trippy.
Did I say that

Damn.

I think I was a little wound up earlier. Sorry about that TS. I never really answered your question. The Vypyr series amps are a really good value based modeler. They all sound pretty good honestly but the power tube versions (60/120) really pull out front imo. The power tubes give the amps a much more natural sound and dramatically help the dynamics and harmonics for both clean and dirty settings. Similar to how the power tubes warm up an otherwise sterile Spider in the Spider Valve line. Whether or not the power tubes will benefit you is not certain. For strictly metal playing the power tubes could actually get in your way (muddy it up) but for all around versatile capabilities I highly recommend the Vypyr 60/120.

If you can get past my somewhat noobish playing/recording I have several clips in my profile ranging from Twin - Brit - JSX - Dual Rec - Diezel. I can tell you that the amp was cranked up pretty well with the EQ's set flat. I don't think it sounds muddy. I had just gotten the amp when I did the clips so I did not do retakes or try to perfect anything. Picture a guy jamming in his basement and spinning the amp dial to the next setting and then cutting everything up later to provide comparison. That is pretty much what I did. Also - look up shredkev's Vypyr 60 clips on youtube. He is much better than I

There are other amps our there as has been suggested. There is a Sticky you can follow if you decide to get more suggestions. But in this price range with the versatility included you really can't find a better product. Outside of this amp - I would maybe look at a Pod HD and some kind of clean SS amp to power it.

Now, when it comes to 60 vs 120 watts. That is more up to you. I seriously seriously doubt there will be that much volume difference between a Vypyr 60 and a Vypyr 120. The 120 will have more headroom - which means it will be
a. be better for metal
b. be better for gigging
c. will stay clean longer basically before breaking up
d. will cost more to retube (4 vs 2 tubes)

Also, the Vypyr 60 is an open back configuration. Personally, I think you would like the Vypyr 120 and a really nice closed back 2x12 cab. I got my Vypyr 60 used for $315 which is why I did it. Otherwise, I would have gotten the head. I would shy away from the all in one 120 2x12 combo. It will just be bulky to haul around.

Downsides: Some have been flaky, need software upgrades, etc as mentioned. The onboard effects are good but not great. If you love messing around with effects then you really need to play it first and def consider the Sanpera II pedal. Some of the models get a hint of digitalness and the noise gate can sometimes get in the way. I believe there is a software fix for this too. I personally have not messed with the effects too much - I just leave them off. Others say the effects are really good based on other things they have experienced. It is probably a personal decision. Also, you might be interested to know that I ran my phaser and delay pedals in front of my Vypyr 60 on the Twin channel once just to see what would happen and it sounded fine. I have a MXR EVH Phase 90 and a Carbon Copy Delay.

Some claim the speaker needs to be replaced but I think the stock speaker is fine. It is voiced for the amp.

Overall - I give the amp a 9/10 for its versatility, great clean and metal tones, price, built in effects, headphone jack, USB, harmonics and reliability. I have had no problems with mine.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
What's your Vyper sound like through your Splawn cab, 311?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dementiacaptain
dude, mclaw got a new avatar. trippy.

I changed it a few weeks back. It's my studio's logo, I figured my BTBAM avatar was a little outdated, since it still had the santa hat on it from last year I would change it back... but I seem to have lost the original one!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I own this amp. Ask me anything.

311 knows what's up though. I may not even be needed here.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ Well a little earlier I definitely needed some support

Glad you are here though in case anyone thinks I'm full of shit.

Give them your opinion bro.

Quote by Cathbard
What's your Vyper sound like through your Splawn cab, 311?

Never tried. The Splawn cab is 8 ohms and the Vypyr 60 is stuck at 16.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 20, 2011,
When it comes to needing versatility, the Vypyr Tube is the best amp you can get for $600 or less, hands down. The amount of versatility in this amp is mind boggling. With the Sanpera II, you can have 400 different presets. 400. There are 12 different amp models, with clean and dirty on each model, so basically 24 amp models. This amp can go from pristinely clean, to more distortion than you can feasibly use. The models sound great. Like 311, I also owned a ValveKing, and I also own a 5150. This amp dwarfs both of them, no contest.

The FX sound great. Every effect on the amp is very usable. The great thing I love about digital FX is that you can adjust the FX moreso than you possibly could on a standalone pedal. The Vypyr does not disappoint if you're into that. The Fuzz in particular. omaigawd.

Volume. This amp sounds great at whisper quiet volumes, despite it being 120W. In true tube form, it sounds even better as you turn it up and really start pushing air. I'm dead serious about whisper quiet volume too - I can hear my guitar strings over this amp if I want to. The amp has a post gain and a master volume, so it's really not hard to do.

All in all, for the amount I paid for this amp (I bought it on ebay), I cannot think of a single better amp out there. Of course, if you're only doing one thing, and you want some classic breakup, a Class 5 might be a better choice. But if you're like me and you need versatility, and need to change patches mid-song (I play progressive death metal, and I utilize cleans, crunch and modern gain very frequently), this amp cannot be beat.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Never tried. The Splawn cab is 8 ohms and the Vypyr 60 is stuck at 16.
No impedance switch? That's a bit lame.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
When it comes to needing versatility, the Vypyr Tube is the best amp you can get for $600 or less, hands down. The amount of versatility in this amp is mind boggling. With the Sanpera II, you can have 400 different presets. 400. There are 12 different amp models, with clean and dirty on each model, so basically 24 amp models. This amp can go from pristinely clean, to more distortion than you can feasibly use. The models sound great. Like 311, I also owned a ValveKing, and I also own a 5150. This amp dwarfs both of them, no contest.

The FX sound great. Every effect on the amp is very usable. The great thing I love about digital FX is that you can adjust the FX moreso than you possibly could on a standalone pedal. The Vypyr does not disappoint if you're into that. The Fuzz in particular. omaigawd.

Volume. This amp sounds great at whisper quiet volumes, despite it being 120W. In true tube form, it sounds even better as you turn it up and really start pushing air. I'm dead serious about whisper quiet volume too - I can hear my guitar strings over this amp if I want to. The amp has a post gain and a master volume, so it's really not hard to do.

All in all, for the amount I paid for this amp (I bought it on ebay), I cannot think of a single better amp out there. Of course, if you're only doing one thing, and you want some classic breakup, a Class 5 might be a better choice. But if you're like me and you need versatility, and need to change patches mid-song (I play progressive death metal, and I utilize cleans, crunch and modern gain very frequently), this amp cannot be beat.

This, so much.
Thanks so much for all the help guys! 311 and Offworld especially. I've decided to save for the 120 head and a 2x12 cab and shall see how things go. The USB recording feature caught my eye too. Would the amp still need to be cranked if I were to use it as an audio interface like that?

And thanks once again guys.
Page 1 of 2