Hey guys,
My les Paul broke the other day so i have been playing on my cheap epiphone SG while it got fixed.
Surprisingly, at lower volumes, the sg sounded so much better for metal. Is this just because of the SG body shape, the humbuckers or the fact that the SG pups are uncovered?
Should i take off my LP pup covers for a more metal sound or keep it there?
Also i heard that there is a thick layer of wax between the pup and the cover when you take it off. whats the best solution to remove the wax off the pups?
thanks
First of all, do not remove the wax from the pickups too! Remove it only from pickup's upper part, between its plastic top and the metal cover. If you remove it from the wire too, the wire will loosen and, as a result, your guitar will start 'whsitling' and screeching at higher volumes.
If you remove the covers, the humbuckers won't alter their tone. You won't get a more metal tone, for instance. The metal cover only diminishes (but in a very little ammount) pickup's output. It has no influence on tone.
So it's very likely the metal sound of the Epi comes more from its shape and wood. SG's wood is the same mahogany as in the Les Paul, but guitar's body and neck are considerably sleeker. SG resonates easier and brighter than the LP. But I've heard many people playing metal on LP-type guitars.
So, if you want to get another tone from your LP, closer to metal, you better replace the pickups. DiMarzios sound very well on a Les Paul. Lindy Fralin's Zebras too. Bareknuckle are the newest addition to this range of great metal humbuckers, you can give them a try.
Quote by rv_phoenix
The metal cover only diminishes (but in a very little ammount) pickup's output. It has no influence on tone.

It has, and you have just told us that by yourself, 'cause if you get less volume in to the amp, it will have the same effect as lowering the gain, and less gain does change the tone. So technically, it doesn't change the tone, but in the end it does change the tone, just a little.
Quote by henrihell
It has, and you have just told us that by yourself, 'cause if you get less volume in to the amp, it will have the same effect as lowering the gain, and less gain does change the tone. So technically, it doesn't change the tone, but in the end it does change the tone, just a little.

Guitar's output is something slightly different than amp's gain. Putting an SG with hb covers on and another one with hb covers off into a 100W head won't feel any difference of tone. It won't get extra trebble, middle or bass because of removing the cover, it will only get 2% less distortion. If you use the distortion.