Hi all,
just been given a Marshall MG30DFX which works pretty well apart from when turning the tone dials there's quite a lot of crackle and sometimes the sound drops out? Any advice as to solve this? Apart from NOT turning them!!??!!
Burn it.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Contact cleaner/switch cleaner sprayed onto the pots and worked in vigorously by turning them back and forth. Disclaimer: Amps contain electrical death, use your common sense etc etc. when opening the amp up.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Give up this cheap toy and save some money for a real amp. It can be a Marshall again, but not from the shameful MG series. Cleaning the switches every two weeks is not an option for a player, and replacing them with real knobs doesn't worth, given the price range of a MG. Remember that practise and rehearsal time is better used when playing than fixing annoying gear troubles
Quote by jukejointjohnny
Contact cleaner/switch cleaner sprayed onto the pots and worked in vigorously by turning them back and forth. Disclaimer: Amps contain electrical death, use your common sense etc etc. when opening the amp up.

Thanks for the reply
Quote by rv_phoenix
Give up this cheap toy and save some money for a real amp. It can be a Marshall again, but not from the shameful MG series. Cleaning the switches every two weeks is not an option for a player, and replacing them with real knobs doesn't worth, given the price range of a MG. Remember that practise and rehearsal time is better used when playing than fixing annoying gear troubles

Considering it cost nothing and it works fine as a practice amp, cheap toy it is!!! Suits me down to the ground as carting my line 6 back and forth to rehersals is a real hassle (unless line 6 isn't real enough for ya!)
And i also think looking after the tools you use daily is a great habit to get into, perhaps time management is a prob for you?
that depends.....which Line 6 is it.....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
that depends.....which Line 6 is it.....

Spider II with the shortboard (completely reprogrammed with my own settings)
Quote by duckz11
Spider II with the shortboard (completely reprogrammed with my own settings)

I had one, and they arn't that good ether. The only Spider amps that are any good are the Spider Valves. And if you use the XLR line out they sound horrible also. it is amazing how tubes can make it sound better.

But the contact cleaner is the way to go for your MG
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So you don't want to lug your Spider II to practice and you need to fix your free MG because the dials crackle? Try Contact Cleaner?

Edit: nvmd - already stated. Guys it was given to him for free and he likes the tone.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 21, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I had one, and they arn't that good ether. The only Spider amps that are any good are the Spider Valves. And if you use the XLR line out they sound horrible also. it is amazing how tubes can make it sound better.

But the contact cleaner is the way to go for your MG

T Y