I was selling my Michael Kelly Patriot Q (because I wasn't playing it) on CL and a guy says he is flying up from Costa Rica and wants to buy it. I'm thinking... when will I need a Cashier's check to send to Africa. But no... he really wanted it. He mentioned that he had a 1979 Ovation he wanted to trade if possible, but he hadn't seen it in 7 years (closet kept) and didn't remember what it was. After a month we finally meet up and its a 1979 Glen Campbell Artist with OHSC! Its in need of a little TLC but see the diamond in the rough... and its worth more than what I was selling the MKPQ for.

The next week, I see an ad in CL for a Balladeer 1861 of unknown vintage. The seller said it plays great, preamp is on good order, just 2 dings in the top, no case... Make an offer. So I did... REALLY LOW! After 5 days I figure I got ignored... Then my phone rings. That night I pick her up. Here its a 1995 that plays great. The dings will soon be filled and polished out.

Its been a good 10 days.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Oct 19, 2011,
Quote by Auriemma
I was selling my Michael Kelly Patriot Q (because I wasn't playing it) on CL and a guy says he is flying up from Costa Rica and wants to buy it. I'm thinking... when will I need a Cashier's check to send to Africa. But no... he really wanted it. He mentioned that he had a 1979 Ovation he wanted to trade if possible, but he hadn't seen it in 7 years (closet kept) and didn't remember what it was. After a month we finally meet up and its a 1979 Glen Campbell Artist with OHSC! Its in need of a little TLC but see the diamond in the rough... and its worth more than what I was selling the MKPQ for.

The next week, I see an ad in CL for a Balladeer 1861 of unknown vintage. The seller said it plays great, preamp is on good order, just 2 dings in the top, no case... Make an offer. So I did... REALLY LOW! After 5 days I figure I got ignored... Then my phone rings. That night I pick her up. Here its a 1995 that plays great. The dings will soon be filled and polished out.

Its been a good 10 days.

Damn i love this guitar!
umm...have i mentioned lately how much i hate you? if jealosy could be sent email, your screen would be melting! oops...typo...i meant good for you auri ! i'm very happy for you ! freakin' bastard ! only centerhole ovation i got is a celebrity. i'm searching for a good 1861. no ovation dealer around here, hafta go up to montreal and thats expensive, i i scour ebay lookin. seriously....thats very good luck ! congrats!
Thanks Stepchild... I have been lucky lately (my wife isn't happy though)
I guess I shouldn't mention these then:

1995 Balladeer 1751 12 string (an ebay find)

1994 Celeb Deluxe CC257 (gift from my wife)

2006 Elite-T 1868T (birthday present to myself)

Keep your eyes peeled in your local CL. They pop up often enough around here. Also check at the Ovation Fan Club. They always have great Os and Adamas for private sale a decent prices.

Yeah.. I really do like Ovations!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
The ovation soundhole always facinates me - is it for aestethics (very visually appealing, imo) or does it affect the sound?
placement of the soundholes drastically changes tone and volume. the black elite t shown there has a very rich baritone sound. great for playing todays music. it doesnt short you on the brightness of the higher b and e strings either( have that one auri, and a 2078lx and 2 177t's one an rft flame top) i love the t-series guitars. sad that i have more invested in guitars than my cars. that 1861 you picked up better be locked away somewhere safe, i got a half a tank of gas and a good GPS.
i tried the elixer med/lights on my 1868t. those were amazing on it! remember...a happy wife is a happy life...guess that's why im not married.
oh..may you spend all eternity listening to pat boone's "in a metal mood" album. that is what hell truly is....damn...another typo...need a new keyboard. i mean wow, nice collection auri!
Thanks Dpullam!

Quote by drteletubbie
The ovation soundhole always facinates me - is it for aestethics (very visually appealing, imo) or does it affect the sound?
As Step said, they directly affect the sound. The 1868T only has holes in the top bout so they have a deeper sound. Most (like the Celebrity) have holes in both bouts giving them an overall brighter tone. The center holes have a more traditional, fuller tone.

The 1868T is truly a pleasure to play and listen too. Step, You are correct, baritone with the highs. Great sound description. I swapped out the OP-Pro with a OP-Pro Studio preamp, its even better now.

I also prefer Elixirs on the 1868T. Great strings for that guitar. I have DiAddario Phosphur Bronze on the 1627GCA. They sound superb. The 1681 has Earth Woods on it. Not too bad. I dont remember what on the rest, either Elixirs or DiAddarios.

Step, if you are anywher near Philly, let me know. I'm up for a jam session... and Pat Boone will never be played in my home. Oh... and you will have to get by my 2 man-licking... err I mean... man eating Beagles first.
--- Joe ---
Last edited by Auriemma at Oct 21, 2011,
i'll be flyin' past in a coupla weeks, pretty sure i wont be able to persuade the pilot to stop for a few hours in philly. they're wierd like that. not like most cabbies that'll stop for a bagel.
hmm.... tried to upload shots of some of the ovations and the taylor that are on my mancave wall but apparently i'm too stupid to figre out such a simple task
Gorgeous guitar man. I'm not an Ovation guy myself tonally, but they sure are nice looking pieces.

Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks Natrone.
--- Joe ---