Page 1 of 3
im really curious about who the best guitarist in history is choose one who's still making music and another who's retired/died mine are:

alive: jake pitty - black veil brides
dead: jimme hendrix
Quote by bass_dist_pro

jake pitty - black veil brides

Seriously though, there have been a million 'best guitarist' threads. We really don't need another - namely because there isn't a 'best guitarist'. It's all personal preference
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by bass_dist_pro
alive: jake pitty - black veil brides

but that's kinda subjective. The best in metal wouldn't be the best in blues, the best in blues wouldn't be the best in jazz, and so on and so forth.

But IMO, alive - Guthrie Govan, maybe Kris Norris, dead - not really sure...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
There are lots of great guitarist. But, Every guitarist has an opinion on the greatest recorded guitar solos. Especially I like the Slash. Slash is an Awesome guitarist.
The best guitar player who is still alive is, in my opinion, Alan Sparhawk of Low.

I don't really have much of an opinion about the best dead guitarist; most of the pre-1960 music I listen to isn't guitar-based, so none of my favourites have had time to die yet.
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Oct 30, 2011,
After carefully studying youtube clips, i have to say Fred Durst is the most technically proficient, creative, and original guitarist that ever was or will be.
The guitarist of Sacred Mother Tongues.

Seriously. That guy, Andy James. Perfect playing and awesome creativity. He doesn't only play metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv5wtdfq6v0
XD one of the comments says : "if andy james fingered someone im fairly sure they would die"
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
tosin abasi
paul waggoner, gilbert, masvidal
buckethead
john frusciante, mclaughlin
jimi hendrix
jimmy page
david golmoure
i bet some classical guitarists iv never heard of and jazz musicians iv never heard of and old black bluesmen iv never heard of and 12 year old japanese kids iv never heard of..
Quote by Namaste196
Ziltoid the Omniscient.

nah he lost that guitar battle, i never think of devin when i think of guitar, but if i think top 5 awesome things in this universe, he usually comes to mind
Jimi Hendrix is by far the greatest guitarist! Period! Everyone else is just tied for second!
Personally

living: Buckethead (That man can do any type of music to perfection.. Its not just crazy)

Dead: Gary Moore (Best tone.. ever)
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
JUST MY OPINION: Synyster Gates
I love the style, the bending of the strings, the slides, and the fast arpeggios. Lost. Best solo ever. that and Afterlife

^oh no an A7X ****** ¬.¬^
JUST MY OPINION: Synyster Gates
I love the style, the bending of the strings, the slides, and the fast arpeggios. Lost. Best solo ever. that and Afterlife

^oh no an A7X ****** ¬.¬^
I really love Jimi Hendrix. But favorite living guitarist I'm not sure (also because it changes like every month or so). I think its all based on personal preference.
But in general, Slash and Angus Young have influenced me and my guitar playing a lot so maybe one of them.
Quote by Mainer
Stevie Ray Vaughan...End of fucking story

over ****ing rated, end of story.

no blues player can be called the best guitarist of all time simply because, in terms of technical proficiency, blues players are at the bottom of the food chain.

if it's anyone it will be satriani, or vai, or one of the other virtuosos that have "feel" AND chops.
I like Slash , His a great guitarist and many people has seen how his finger will roll up the strings of his guitar.
How about anyone who is not Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, or any of the other tired, overrated English "blues" guitarists that always get tossed about in these threads.
Quote by rickyj

no blues player can be called the best guitarist of all time simply because, in terms of technical proficiency, blues players are at the bottom of the food chain.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, no.
ITT people name old overrated guitar "legends" and the guitarist from their favorite band that probably sucks.
I'm an asshole.
mick thompson

lol

because im a djent fag i say tosin abasi and marc okubo.
no really, i think slash or paul gilbert
and tosin abasi
Quote by Second Rate
How about anyone who is not Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, or any of the other tired, overrated English "blues" guitarists that always get tossed about in these threads.

you speak blasphemy!
Page 1 of 3